HybridZ

RB Swap. HELP!!!

Guest ayobreezie

Guest Zachb55

ok dude, instead of saying "do a search" which im sure you have done, imma help ya out and give you some info i know. This swap will not be cheap, it wont happen in less then a few months for sure, and once you get the engine started, you have just scratched the surface. stony knows all about it, and ive been keeping informed about what hes been doing so i know the deal. when he talks about new gauges, he means you'll get new gauge units, like a new speedometer, a new tach, and fuel gauges and whatnot. there are many different things youll need too, like an exhaust, a computer to run the thing (dont even start with that, i hardly understand that crap) and all sorts of custom goodies like the mounts and im not sure about with the RB25 but maybe a custom oil pan too. almost all of these things have been well documented on how to go about dealing with them. take it all step by step man, dont rush into this or you'll end up confused as hell. and look at some other cheaper and less confusing options if you find this overwhelming. good luck dude, and i want some pics of that bad boy if you go for it :-D

-Zach

• 1 year later...

is there anyway to get along w/o using autometer gauges, i plan on upgrading the gauges soon, but for rite now im just gonna do the BASIC SWAP, i don't wanna fall into the "while im at it"

The only extra things im gonna do, is clean up the engine bay, mayb even repaint it, and im gonna put a downpipe and exhaust on it, thats it, everything else is stock-i dont wanna mess with anything else just yet.....im only gonna do what HAS TO BE done, like the oilpan and pickup for example.

As for the gauges, you might be able to get away with the stock oil pressure and water temp gauges. You will most likely need to swap out the RB oil pres. sensor with one from an L series to keep the right calibration. The temp gauge I'm not positive about, but you can hook it up and see what happens. The fuel level and amp gauges will be fine as is. You are out of luck on the speedo and tach though. If you are using the RB25 tranny you will need to convert to magnetic pick up to make it work. Autometer makes a nice electronic speedo and adapter. For the tach, first off we'll need to know what E.F.I. you are running. If you are using the stock one, you will need an Autometer tach with the correct adapter from them as well. If you are using a stand alone, you won't need the adapter. But, if you don't mind a suggestion, you should really tink about just replacing them all at the same time. It will be ultimately more reliable, infinitely more accurate, and far more pleasing to the eye. Summit Racing has some very good prices on Autometer gauges. I would suggest the mechanical style. So, there you go.

Brian

I hate to be the cynic, but we see this type of post all the time on the 240SX boards...

He "wants to drift," doesn't seem to know the basics of the swap he's trying to do, hasn't learned to search the Internet and forums, and he doesn't know who "Autometer" is... my guess is former Honda owner who "wants to be different" and reads Super Street...

• 1 year later...