HybridZ

Trackbound in NJ tonight (WED - 6/25) UPDATED - 12.88@105.96

Jersey

I know this is the tech forum but, I hang here. I just wanted to let anyone know that if they're in the NJ area. i'll be running my '73ZT "we" built tonight (Wednesday) hoping to get a 12 second 1/4. 12.999 would work :) It would be great to see some other Z's there if anyone can make it. Island Drags - gates open at 6pm, racing usually starts around 6:30-7pm. Sorry about posting this here...i swear i'll never do it again.

UPDATE. YEEHAA. Did it guys. Last run of the night, all alone. Talk about pressure! Fun as heck. Here's the slip...

522612_88_Slip.jpg

Guest bastaad525

hmmmmmmm must not be back yet..... 10pm in cali... how late you get to race?! heheh I'm dyin to see if you hit 12's, dont see why you shouldnt if you can pull those great launches. well guess I"ll check tommorow

Great Job Jersey! I wish I could have gone but the wife is very close to having our baby (like any day) and I don't like going too far away if she decides its time to go to the hospital. :shock: I should have the car on the road before the summer is over. I hope we can hook up at the track this fall so we can have some races against each other. :twisted:

Guest bastaad525

still no results eh? :-P anyone wanna place bets if he got 12's or not? I'm thinkin..... 13.00-something. Maybe 12.9's. Enquiring minds want to know!

Guest bastaad525

oh duh nm I didn't see that he edited it NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE 12.8's very very nice. Heheh and I was right you were out racing pretty late :)

Jersey, can we get a recap of what things you've changed since the last run of 13.3? I know you added an IC and ACT clutch, was there anything else? You are keeping company with some very fast cars now my friend......

You know..... wasn't someone saying you couldn't hit 12's with stock T3? heheh :-P I have a new goal to shoot for. By the way Jersey, you should have your car weighed it's cheap or free depending where you go, give us all a good idea of what hp you're putting to the ground. My '72 weighs 2600 with me in it, assuming youre about the same as that, you're putting about 240hp to the wheels... on stock EFI and injectors (stock fuel pump still too?) very nice.

Thanks guys for all the praise. I was sweating it out last night right near the end. Ran a few 13.02's and it finally just all came together the last run. Had to shift a little quicker between 1-2 & 2-3. It seemed it was spooling a little faster and since i don't watch the tach between those shifts, i was sifting a couple hundreds late. One i got the shifting down, the grab of the new clutch, the traction...blahblah...she ran. I have video of it and am trying to find a site to post it for you guys to see. When i do, i'll post a new topic so you can check it out.

Bastaad - Stopped on the way home for a beer to celebrate the breaking of 12's, that's why i didn't get a chance last night to post results. Sorry 'bout that. I will get a list of all my mods over stock as soon as i get a little time..work is crazy right now. The changes since the 13.33 was - ACT clutch setup, small NPR I.C., downpipe, Walbro 392 pump and boost raised to about 14psi. I guess there were more mods that i made than i thought, just by listing those. Guess i should have done better than 12.8 maybe? i don't know, i'm happy. haha. Bastaad, shoot for 11's. I think i was really stretching the T3 but, she held! Thanks.

MobyVan - Thanks. NOW GET TO WORK!!! :D

Pete - Thanks. GOOD LUCK with the birth!!!! Good decision on staying close to home - the right thing to do. I was the same way with our 2 children. There'll be many more times to go to the track, birth of your child only comes once in a lifetime..per kid anyway :) haha. I would love to go side by side with another 240. I ran a 300ZXTT last night and a 350Z last time, still not the same as the 240 side by side. Anytime, let me know.

Guest bastaad525

11's noooooooo thank you, at least not for a long time. I know I'll probably say differently after I get a taste, but right now that would just be waaaaaaaay too crazy for me, not to mention way outta my budget for a long time. I promised my g/f that after I do this we'll save up and buy her another car, so no more major mods to my Z til then. I'm gonna try to sneak an intercooler and maybe a fuel pump in there somehow during that time, but that's about it. Jersey how much did you spend altogether for your intercooler set up, it's an NPR right? where'd you get it? Anyways, 12's will be good for me.... I decided I had to hit 12's after a friend of mine took me for a ride in a Corvette Z06 (averages mid to high 12's), fastest car I've ever been in, was like a ride at Six Flags. I want to be about as fast as that..... man what a rush. And now I see that's possible on a still-mostly-stock engine.... again, very nice times Jersey :)

Congratulations on breaking into the 12s. You keep raising the bar for us stock t3 and efi guys. I almost made it to the track last night but I didn't leave work in time to beat the traffic. I wasn't about to sit in traffic in 90 degree weather for an hour. I'll have to get a few runs in soon to get a baseline for my car before I add any upgrades.

How was the throw on the clutch pedal? Do you think it slowed you down any?

Bastaad - youre' right. once the taste is there, you just want just a liiiitttle more! I bought the small NPR I.C. off of a kid that i found he was selling on EBAY. He also lived in NJ and i contacted him and ended the action early. $150 and i picked it up. I THOUGHT that was going to get away cheap by putting in an I.C for $150 and maybe a few more bucks for the pipes, couplings, clamps....WRONG. Everthing that i needed to completly install the I.C. probably cost me as much as the I.C. and i did all the welding myself. So i figure about $300 total, which is really not bad but still a good amount for me to spend. My Z is starting to definetly get faster but i'll say this - there is nothing like the true tourqe pull of a V8. I love that off the bottom, sink you in the seat, type of pull right off the bat. Then again, i love the pin you back when the turbo gets good and spooled at higher R's also! ha. Thanks Bastaad.

Bay - Thanks. I think i'm really starting to push the stock stuff to it's limits. Wish you could have made it. Maybe next time. The throw on the pedal was ok. I raised the pedal height up as far as i can go and took all the free play out of it and then it was fine. This was after the first two runs of the day when i missed 2 shifts on each run and ran 14's :shock: It was either adjust it the way i did or slow down on shifting. I chose to adjust it for "track shifting speed" I'm still not super happy with the way the long throw is, even with the pathfinder 11/16" slave, but one thing is for sure, it grabs like a mutha! Everytime i made the 3rd to 4rth shift, I got a prominant chirp and it never did that before! Need to post this video somewhere...

Guest bastaad525

chirping fourth! Hah very cool..... um I'm sure you already know this but it's not good to leave the pedal adjusted with no free play at all. If you need some extra room, take out the rubber stopper that sits in FRONT of the pedal, just screw it out. that gives you almost another full inch to play with. I've been driving it like that for 6 mos and have noticed no ill effects other than the metalic sound the pedal makes popping up if I let off it too fast. Assuming you havent done this already :)

bastaad - Didn't need to take the stop out with the smaller diameter slave, just cranked down all the way which raised the pedal about an inch. I could have pulled my seat up one notch also but felt a little too close to the wheel that way. I only adjusted it without freeplay for the track and re-adjusted it before i went home.

Sleeper - Thanks man. how are your 60' times?

I have got to go home tonight and climb back under the Z and check the R200 ratio out. I was crossing the line at the top of 4rth gear..like at 6200rpm! i actually tried to shift into 5th a couple of runs around 5500 just to see how the pull was and of course..missd the shift and blew the run!

Now with a T5 and the stock '82ZXT rear, which SHOULD BE 3.54, i should be a lot lower in the RPM range at 105 mph or a lot faster than 105 @ 6200 in 4rth. And i remember checking the ZXT rear alongside the '78 280Z R200 that i had installed in my '73 and remember the ratio's were exactly the same - 3.54.

On the trans calculator site - http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio - running 215/50/15's, i should be nearing 122mph at 6200rpm in forth! Something is wrong. I'm thinking the only explaination right now is that i somehow messed up when determining the gear ratio when i checked it and the donor '82 ZXT car that i used the complete drivetrain out of had it's rear swapped out at on time or another. That really doesn't make sense either because he was a 60 year old man (not old but unusual to start swapping rears i would think) that bought the car new, drove it 70k miles, parked it for 10 years then passed away. I also found nothing added on performance wise when i pulled the complete ZXT apart to put in my '73. I will check again tonight. The #'s would match up more if it were a 4.11 but i REALLY doubt that it is. 1rst gear would be non existant i would think :?: We'll see tonight.

My 13.2 run was with a 1.9 second 60'. I'm running this Friday with my 3.54 and a new diff mount installed. I'm not going to up the boost any right now, as I'm not sure if everythings happy inside. I have an appointment with a dyno July 12 to tell me how things are set up, and once I check compression and plugs, I'll see about tweeking the boost up.

My tire size is a bit taller than yours (I run a 215/60/14 BFG drag radial), and I was definitely on the falling side of the torque curve before the traps in fourth with my 3.90. So the 3.54 should help on the 1-2 shift and still be in the torque band at the traps.

EDIT: Found my time slip, here's the details:

R/T - 0.519

60' - 1.928

330 - 5.590

1/8 - 8.552 @ 84.31

1000 - 11.072

1/4 13.232 @ 104.02

Are both of you guys running the B/W t-5? I know Jersey is. I am getting ready to install my B/W t-5 and R200 with 3.54 gears. I don't have a driveshaft at all for this setup. What did you guys do in the driveshaft department. I was hoping not to have a complete shaft built up, but looks like I will have to.

Nice slip Sleeper! I put the BW-T5, the R200 and the DS all out of the donor '82ZXT into my '73. I had to modify the trans mount to line up with the '73's mount and changed the outer hubs accept the CV halfshafts.

Are both of you guys running the B/W t-5? I know Jersey is. I am getting ready to install my B/W t-5 and R200 with 3.54 gears. I don't have a driveshaft at all for this setup. What did you guys do in the driveshaft department. I was hoping not to have a complete shaft built up, but looks like I will have to.

Yes, BW T-5. I had a custom driveshaft made when I originally installed the L28ET in my '78, to fit the 3 speed auto from the turbo to the stock 280 diff flange. When I installed the T5, I had to get the shaft shortened. I had to modify the tranny mount and the tranny ears, both slotted. What a pain in the butt combined with new motor mounts!

And the custom driveshaft cost the same as having it rebuilt or shortened. It was originally $230 to build, $180 to shorten and rebalance a year later, another $200 to replace U-joints and rebalance at a different shop last year.