HybridZ

Project car

Guest MadCow

Guest MadCow

Hello to all. I have been reading this sight for a few months, so I figured I would make my first post. I know this guy who has like 8 Z's and might sell me one. He is an ass but thats besides the point. I would like to let you know that I have done plenty of searches before some of you get on my case. I have done enough searches to know that Mr. Bob_H and some others will get upset if you ask questions without searching.

Anyways, on to my question. I was planning on doing the increasingly popular RB26 swap since the GT-R has been my fav car since I found out it existed like 10 years ago, and the proccess seems to be rather well documented. Anyways, this was when I had a rich girlfriend and money wasn't a problem. Now that we have broken up I don't have the luxury of deep pockets. I then thought about a 1jz which is still expensive and JDM. I really think that i want to do a 2jz swap since the engines did come to the states. I am sure it is still expensive either way. I see plenty of how to's for the RB swaps but couldn't find any about the 2jz. Is it aout the same difficulty as the Rb26 or is it harder? What kind of motor mounts do I need and does anyone have some already made? What other stuff do I need to know? Do I need a 240 for the lightest weight or is a 260 not that much heavier?

Anyways, all responses, comments, suggestions, and otherwise helpful info would be very much appreciated. Thanks

This is an awesome site and I am happy to join and will be even happier when my project car takes form.

Guest MadCow

Ooops, also forgot. Is this a good forum for my post?? If not please let me know of a better place that will give me optimal results and responses

Thanks

From what I've read, the 2jz is taller and won't fit under the stock Z hood. Personaly, I would go with the 1jz, 2.5 l would be better in a z (what i think :wink: ) and the power could be almost the same: high rev engine, and if you you on supras forum, people change their 2jz for 1jz block. If I have the money, I'll go for it. :D

If that is the Toyota Supra engine, IIRC an Australian motor magazine covered such a conversion a year or two ago in detail. In a RHD car of course. That is about all I can remember but a detailed WWW search may come up with more.

For such a power conversion a stronger bodied 260 (and 280 in the US?) would be my starting point.

Guest MadCow

Hey, thanks for all of the responses first of all. And I would appreciate any more that you might have.

Well Mr. Karey I am from Alabama originally but now reside in El Paso TX.

Umm, I am thinking maybe a oil pan issue is harder to tackle than an exhuast issue. I could be wrong. BUt what about motor mounts? I have seen some of you offer mounts for the RB26 swap so I was hoping maybe someone had some fabbed up already. I can dream can't I?

Thanks Dayz. Even if the engine is taller I don't think that is a serious setback. I could always drive it with no hood. Or find another one and cut it up. As far as the 1jz goes I totally agree with you. It revs higher, is lighter, and its shorter length would give the car a better weight distribution. BUt then if I was going JDM I might as well get the RB26. I would probably be racing more in a straight line than in the twisties. Maybe later when I had much money to dump into suspension so it could handle really well.

Well, thanks for that info 260DET. I haven't found anything searching yet. If you happen to stumble across something please let me know. It would be more than appreciated. And thanks for the advice on the 260 over the 240. I thought the lightest car would be the best since the whole point of these cars is to get awesome power-to-weight ratios. But if the weight is not that much of a difference and the 260 is stiffer I do agree it would be a better choice than the 240. I also seem to be finding more 260's anyways.

Thanks for all your help guys and please keep the info coming.