HybridZ

Strut spacers, t/c bushings, etc. questions

Got a few questions...first off, I have a 1978 280 with Tokico 1" drop springs and shocks and urethane bushings. I was sad to find that my car still has next to no camber (about -0.5 degree and even less on other wheel) after the height drop, since the mods were done primarily for autocrossing. After a year of plowing around I'm ready to do a little more to the suspension, but not ready to go to caster/camber plates and coilovers yet. So...

1) If I get the t/c rod aluminum/delrin bushings, will they allow me to add some caster (via shimming I'd suppose)? I understand they won't last long, but if they'll get me through a year or two, then I'll have a "real" job anyway and can afford something better at that point.

2) I read that the "bumpsteer" or strut spacers (sold by Nismo or Vic. Brit, etc) are supposed to correct the camber curve, are they referring to fixing excessive negative camber or positive camber? Since I want more neg. camber, do I want these spacers or not? I don't experience bump steer problems (or don't notice) so I'd only get them if they'll benefit my camber situation.

3) I'm also considering offset camber bushings. When some of you describe them as "not lasting long," how soon will they wear out? See my above comment on how long I care about them lasting...

I'd also consider slotting my strut tower mount holes but I'd rather not. Any/all input will be appreciated :D FYI I'm also wanting to team these mods with the shorter steering knuckles and probably a smaller steering wheel, currently using stock one and some people tell me that a smaller diameter would help out a lot as well.

Mike Kelly sells adjustable TC rods for $175 and you can check them out here. They are relatively inexpensive and would solve your caster problem.

I'm not sure that the camber bushings wear out as much as they move and therefore go out of adjustment. Sloting the towers is an option and I've seen it done but I would worry about weakening that area. The bushings are cheap you might try them first and put a dab of paint on them to monitor if they move.

Thanks for the link but I already read that one, it's more pertaining to the mod where you move the lower control arm pivot. I'm not interested in this modification because I think it would place me outside Street Prepared and SM2 classes (which require "original attachment points").

[edit] I was looking at Ground Control's page and noticed they listed their "Front Bump Steer Spacers" as not legal for I.T. or S.P. Is that true? I guess it moves the factory mount points too...?[/edit]

I also know about Mikelly's t/c rods but I can get the t/c aluminum-delrin bushing kit from Courtesy Nissan for $30 :D if they'll allow me to add caster I'll go for them, for now; like I said, eventually I'll go for all the nice stuff.

The "bumpsteer" strut spacers are specifically used for Z's to correct the camber change due to dropping the vehicle.

I learned as much from reading as many archived posts as I could. My question was do they "correct" excessive negative camber change (which in my case would make my situation worse) or do they correct positive camber change (which I would find beneficial to me).

If the camber bushings just go out of adjustment, I can deal...I've read of a few ways to tame that. I thought though that I'd read a few posts about those bushings also developing some slop in them after a relatively short time, compared with regular urethane bushings, which was why I was asking. Perhaps I was mistaken and those posts were about the t/c rod bushings I'm talking about. Anyone else have any comments as to how long these various bushings last?

BTW thanks for the input so far.

Maybe a case of "your mileage may vary"? Or maybe it's one of those things where way back when, someone's set wore out really fast and it's just been passed down that they wear out quickly...

Anyway I'm getting the feeling that I don't have to worry much about these things wearing out in the timeframe I'm considering, but...

Can you shim the aluminum/delrin T/C bushings to gain caster?

The stock T/C bushings and the aftermarket Al/Der kits all can be shimmed to increase caster. GM shims work fine to find out how thick a shim you need but I would not use them as a final solution (the shims are U shaped and will fall out sooner or later). Use the shims to get to the caster setting you want (place them between the shoulder of the T/C shaft and the first washer) then take T/C bushing apart and replace U shaped shims with a washer of the same thickness. Reducing caster can be accomplished by machining shoulder of T/C bar (difficult to do) or bushing itself.

Makes sense. I guess the better question is, are the al/delrin bushings easier to do it to, I've always had a hard time getting the rubber or urethane bushings to squish enough to get the nut on the end of the t/c rod. Shimming seems to me would make it even more difficult. The mod is cheap and my car does dart a bit under braking (may be a different problem) so I'll probably do that mod anyway, along with some camber bushings. Thanks all for the response.