HybridZ

What is the best tire and size for a 14X6 rim?

a 215/60 works best with a 14x6 rim. A 225/60 can be squeezed on, but will not be as good for handling feel. A 225 might give a bit more overall grip, but the car will handle better with the 215. It is a bit shorter that stock, however.

Wow, I'd run a lot narrower than these guys do. I was thinking 205 was probably the max width you'd want... remember the wider you go on the same wheel the less stiff your sidewalls get, and you lose some feel. I guess if you are talking straight line though, the more rubber (and the less sidewall stiffness) the better.

205/60/14 would be my suggestion.

i would run 195/60/14.

i'm buying a set of falken azenis ST115 in this size for 14x6 280zx 6-spokes for my 240sx soon.

You have a lot of choice in that size, but that is a very small tire. The diameter is 1-1/2" smaller than stock.

i would run 195/60/14.

i'm buying a set of falken azenis ST115 in this size for 14x6 280zx 6-spokes for my 240sx soon.

You have a lot of choice in that size' date=' but that is a very small tire. The diameter is 1-1/2" smaller than stock.[/quote']

If you think that's bad, I'm running 185/60r14's. And I'm running the hell out of them, too. I couldn't pass up 12$ a piece almost new, although the car sits REALLY low now.

My Panasport 16x7's will be here in a few weeks, still have to decide which tire to go with....decisions, decisions.

Sorry I did not specify the car. It is a 1980 280ZX with a Tokico suspension. I would be doing some autocross but mostly backroad driving. I have some really bad but new 205/70/14's on my stock "iron cross" style wheels. I was thinking of going with some Panasports. I think I should go with 15X6 so I could run 205/60/15's. Even though it is the same width, there would be less sidewall and more tire options. Does anyone have pictures of a 280ZX with 14 or 15 inch Panasports?

i would run 195/60/14.

You have a lot of choice in that size' date=' but that is a very small tire. The diameter is 1-1/2" smaller than stock.[/quote']

i am anti tire bulge.

I agree that narrower is better for handling, but the 215 size is at least in the ballpark for diameter. I have run 215s on 14x6 with pretty good results. Anything smaller and the ground clearance gets very low on a lowered car. Fine for the track, but tough on the streets.

I have run the 195/60/14 Azenis RS tires on my 78 on 14x6 (and 14x5.5) rims and don't have too many problems with ground clearance. My car is on Tokico 1" lower-than-stock springs. My exhaust sometimes scrapes going over big speed humps or when pulling onto a main road when there is a sharp change in the road's angle, but that's more the exhaust's fault, it is poorly hung. It also puts the speedometer about 5-10mph high at highway speeds, i.e. it has the effect of a slightly higher numerical gear ratio, I consider it a good thing since I like drag racing and autocrossing (low speed and off-the-line stuff). I highly recommend these tires, and they're cheap too and have extremely stiff sidewalls for their height. The compound of the tire you choose is probably more important than a 10mm or 20mm difference in width...though that goes as much for performance as it does for how long they'll last :D

yeah i used to have 205/60/14 BFG's up front and 225/60/14 in back

the rear had WAY too much sidewall flex and the tires absolutely suck in the rain.

Just switched to 195/60/14 yoko's in the back Much MUch MUCH better tire and it's rated for about 130. I love this tire in the rain.. i can drive with confidence now