HybridZ

Haltech running

Guest jt240z

Cruez, what's with the no no no? The Haltech system can use the optical trigger in the stock 82/83 Nissan 280ZXT distributor in order to get the proper Home and Main trigger signals that are needed when creating a waste spark coil arrangement. You only need to change out the wheel. The Haltech then only uses the distributor for timing reference (CAS). All base and advance timing is performed within the ECU using the timing offsets and timing MAPs. You can not use a 280Z or ZX NA distributor for a waste spark ignition, but you can if you still want to retain a distributor based ignition. If you don't use waste spark, you only need the reluctor input, but for waste spark you need a Home signal input and Trigger signal input. The E6K fully supports a reluctor input signal with no electrical modifications. If you use the stock distributor with the advance plate locked as you stated, you don't need to buy an optical conversion if you don't want to. You just won't get the advantages of Waste Spark using this setup. The NA distributor cap is very small and has a high probability of cross fire due to internal arching under severe loads. Nissan understood this and went with much larger caps for all future models that used distributors. In a turbo enviroment at high boost, you need all the spark you can get to the plugs. One misfire could cost you.

jt240z... as far as the waste spark setup.... that's probably true... I don't have any experience with that type of setup. I was responding to Ivan280zt's post.... (I overlooked the waste spark comment.) :-D

I tried a part that MSD sold that converted the magnetic signal to a optical signal but it did not work during low rpms (makes it kinda hard to start the car :roll: ) The Haltech E6 can only use an optical or Hall effect signal...not the magnetic one...If you just need to change to an optical triggering setup the Crane Cam part is Here . Pretty simple to put in. Now I just have to get it phased correctly.

It wasn't very expensive considering using a crank triggered unit or a direct fire system. I'll try to get some pics and more info on my particular distributor asap.

Guest jt240z

Cruez,

I think you're wrong on this one. The E6K does support a standard reluctor input. Let's make sure were talking about the same ECU. Haltech's more recent version of the E6 is the E6K(not M, H or A). There are other, older, versions that don't have the fetures of the E6K. The E6K has a built in reluctor adapter that can be configured in the ignition setup menu screen. You only need to change the trigger input to int. Reluctor and set the gain for your specific application. There is no need for any other trigger if you're using a distributor for output routing. Check the E6K manual (E.2.1 E6K Internal Reluctor Adaptor on page 129) for more details.

I still feel that if you're going to all the trouble of a programmable ECU, you should take advantage of all the features you can. That's why I still recommend going with the Waste Spark setup on a straight six. On a four cylinder, you even have the option of going direct fire.

I am running an older E6. It requires an optical or Hall effect signal..

I know the newer ones don't require it... I'm not sure when they changed the option..

My setup might be useful for people running other systems or older Haltech systems.

Guest jt240z

That's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure that everyone was clear, that only the much older Haltech E6, E6H requires an optical input. The more up to date E6M and E6K gives you the freedom of choice between an optical input and the reluctor input. Even the E6 you have, could have used the "Nissan Trigger" input from a stock 280ZXT optical sensor. That is once you've changed the trigger wheel out.

Bottom line is that there should be more people considering using the Haltech as their fuel management system. The system works great and is very cost effective. I've seen complete systems for sale on eBay for less then $1000 with warranty. I'm getting ready to order a new one for my next engine build up. The only problem is, I can't decide if I want to stick with my current E6K (I can reuse most of my mappings) or bite the bullet and go for the E11v2 that's now available. The idea of going direct fire with sequential injection using the E11 is pretty alluring. :burnout: