HybridZ

KYB's or TOKICO's

Guest silverbullet

Guest silverbullet

I need some advice, because I will be laid off at the beginning of Aug. my complete suspension rebuild and upgrade for my 77-280 will have to wait a while but I can wait no longer for new shocks, the shop that I am going to have do it will charge 400$ for KYB's plus urethane bump stops on all four, that is shocks/labor/bumpstops which is right about in there or I can get Tokico HP(not Illuminas) shocks for the difference which would be 100$ = 500$ for car. 400$ for KYB's or 500$ for Tokico HP's, which way should I go?

I understand the money being tight, however, I believe that the tokico's are significantly better than the KYB's (which I feel are marginal in performance). Considering the long term increase in driving pleasure and performance with good suspension components I would certainly pay the extra $100(it's to easy to regret it later).

You could also consider getting some eibach springs for about $200. yes, yes that is even more money, but there will be no labor costs at this time point and the difference in handling and feel is phenomenal (I can't emphasize this enough). you can then do the other suspension mods at a later time since the labor will be seperate anyway(eg bushings, camber plates, adjustable tension rod...)

Another important point is that If you get performance springs now or later the KYB's may not last very long and will not match the shorter and stiffer springs nearly as well (ie not enough dampening) as the tokico HP's. So it looks like you will need the Tokico's either way.

Enjoy the ride

Guest silverbullet

Thanks for the advice guys :2thumbs: I was kind of leaning toward the Tokicos now I will definately be using them. Afshin, the Eibachs you are referring to are they the progressive rate springs? If so I thought they quit making those, has anyone else used those springs in conjuntion with the Tokico HP shocks? Any more advice would be greatly apreciated :D

Yes the eibach's are progressive rate, I know you can easilly get them for at least $229 from Adam at http://www.z1auto.com. You can do a search a see if anyone else has a better price or not.

I had the eibach's on a 77280z with a zx turbo transplant a while back, on a 1990 supra turbo and my current 280zx turbo. I also just put some myself on my friends 1994 prelude and 97 Maxima. The experience has consistently been great. One minor complaint was that the suspension travel was a little low on the 280z with the eibach's so it would bottom out easilly on potholes. However, in all applications the ride remained more comfortable than we expected (progressive springs do really work). The only time that I was not satisfied was when I used Suspension Techniques on a different 280zx turbo, the handling was great (perhaps even a little better than the eibach's), but just too stiff for a daily driver in my taste (I must be getting old).

Unless you have lots of rough roads where you drive, I would not hesitate too much about the eibach's.

The other option would be to get the european spec springs from motorsports which will lower the car a tad and provide a much more reasonable compression rate than you current and likely very old/worn U.S. spec springs while maintaining a high level of comfort (in between eibach's and stock).

Hopefully some other people can give you feedback about there experience with the eibach's since performance gain to comfort loss is such a subjective measure.

Guest z1 performance

we ahve actually alwasy used Tokico's here, and have always liked them on the Z's and ZX's (though we almost always pair them with Eibachs)

Nicest struts we used for the Z's are the Bilstein's, but they are no longer offered (our yellow 77 has them though..handles great)

KYB also has a lifetime warranty (not sure about Tokico)

Guest zfan

My 71 240 had Bilstein's and they wore out so I replaced springs with arizona z springs and struts with tokico struts and got to say I love the ride now.

Mike