HybridZ

Transmission crossmember question

The JTR manual show pictures of a 240 transmission tunnel which is different from my 75 280. The 280 has a support welded to the tunnel that goes over the top and down both sides. Can someone tell me if I need to cut the whole support out or just the brackets on both sides that the old crossmember bolted to?

Just the sides... I left the top stuff in and it works fine for the 'ol TH350 tranny. However, maybe you have to cut out more for a 700R4? But I doubt it since there seems to be plenty of room up there. The main interference is where the bell housing meets the tunnel. If you don't have one, buy a 5 lb. hammer!

Pat

Guest Anonymous

I used an air chisel with a flat blade to cut out the entire tranny mount on my 280 Z project. I found when I tried to cut between the mount and the tunnel the chisel would rip into the interior of the car. I attacked the mount directly and cut it off leaving a thin strip of metal from the mount attached to the tunnel that left the spot welds intact.This remaining strip of transmisson mount crossmember is hardly noticeable and should add a little to the strenght of the tunnel. I placed the flat bit square to the trans mount metal and as close to the outline of the tunnel and let it pound itself back and forth in a straight line of 2 inches at a time to cut thru the metal of the cross member..

Good morning Georgia Z, I too have the 75 280 and I know what you are talking about. I haven't tried to get at mine yet but when I do I will probably try and separate it where the mount is welded to the thin brace type thing that goes around the tunnel. Like T Zee said leaving a little probably will not hurt and should add a little strength to the tunnel as well.

And I hear ya on the JTR book and its partialness to the 240! :mad: Still a great book though, I just wish it was more clear on the 280 about some things :D

Woooohooooo! I went scavaging at the Z car Atlanta Z Car grave yard the other day and picked up the automatic shifter and trim plate from an old 240, two beautiful side mirrors from a 280ZX, an end vent for my dash (you know the little round guys that MSA dont have anymore), two side piller emblems that look brand new and some various other parts.

The auto shifter and trim plate will make my Z look almost stock on the inside! :D2thumbs.gifrockon.gif

Thanks for the info on the trans mount. I'm going to try just cutting the mounts first to se if th th350 clears. I'm going to trial fit the engine and trans anyway then pull it back out before I get it painted. I will let you guys know how it works out. I went by Z Car Atlanta on Saturday and picked up two fenders with just a little rust on the bottom in the usual spot and a dome light. The folks were pretty decent thereand the prices were no bad at all. I passed on the same mirrors you got gaflash, but I am planning to go back for them. I think thy will look good on the 280.

Hey Georgia Z, when you go back take a look at the burgundy ZX missing the mirrors :D They will be on my Z soon! I have already done a trial fit on the driver's door and it looks great! Now all I have to do is scuff up that beautiful burgundy, prime and paint when the time comes. On another note it is sad to see so many Zs that once prowled the streets just sitting there rusting away :( There is a complete 240Z (silver) I'm talking with the emblems and all with no body damage, well not much anyway, just waiting for someone to come be its savior.

Ok I'm getting all teary eyed and sad I must go cry2.gif

Denny the silver 240 looked good and complete on the outside but the floors were another story. However, so many guys on here have the no how to fix those sort of things that it really wouldn't matter. I do not know how much they want but you could give them a call, but then there would be that ugly towing thing we discussed earlier on one of our posts.

I really shouldn`t be looking for anything else anyway twak.gif I`ve already got too many irons in the fire ugg.gif . and I already have two 280Z`s that are virtualy rust free. I just can`t get the weight difference`s out of my head twak.gif I realy should sell one of the 280`s first, at least that`s what my wife tells me :D

Gaflash I saw that silver 240 and had the same response. As a matter of fact I saw a couple that I wished I had started with rather than the "free" one I'm working on. Oh well, we have now bonded and my son (it's going to be his) wouldn't have it any other way. I'm sure I saw the mirrors you got because I looked at all of them, but decided to pass until the next trip.