HybridZ

Roughly how much?

Was just wondering what the average cost to swap a 350 into a 240z is. I tried calculating it but it just didnt work because you have to fabricate different pieces. So, given a stock 240z, how much would it cost to put a 350(not built), a 5spd and misc. mounts into it and get it running and moving?Thank you.

The cost never ends!

The only advise I can give is from a frustrated first time project builders point of view. Do not do what I did. Wait, let me make it clearer to you by saying it louder, DO NOT DO IT THE WAY I HAVE DONE IT!!

I purchased my none running Z for a mere $100 bucks, all of you who have heard this sob story can stop reading now. I figured what a bargain! It soon turns out that I have spent about 5,000 on the 100 dollar car and it has yet to see the pavement. That's right I said 5 Grand! I still have to get the engine rebuilt, buy a transmission, a carb, drive shaft, and many other things like weatherstripping and gages.

Keep it simple to start with and if your Z can move on its own power right now with the inliner, keep it that way untill you have the brakes and suspension done. If I had to start again it would be with a Z in good running condition already. Hell I have even thought about buying another Z and junking my hulk of metal tHat I have been busting my knuckles on over the last 4 years! Yes I said that right 4 years and 5 grand and still no go!

Of course if I did junk the project money pit I would have to transfer all the goodies such as the Modernmotorsports rear disk conversion and hyperflex bushings to the new project money pit :D

Good luck brother!

Guest cbrunberg

Spirt asks a good question. This is my forth Z. My first hybrid. I built my own mounts and drive line. I reused the stock radiator and added an electric fan. The headers are used from a swap meet then modified. My exhuast is mandrel bent pieces from a speed shop cut and welded together... get the point? It all depends on your ability to work on it yourself. Even if you fab it all yourself the nickels and dimes become dollars and nonsense in a hurry. I do it because I can. It's a hobby. If I didn't enjoy the challenge I wouldn't do it.

Carl

Guest torynich

I'm sorry, but I gotta ask this...SPIIRIT, you mentioned that you got tubes. What exactly do you need tubes for, drag tires? I know, I'm stupid.

Tory

Yes I searched, then I searched after you told me to search(of course I find more info =P). Ive got a ROUGH idea of what stuff will cost.

Stock 350 SBC= 300$

5spd transmission(I keep reading about 1k+ 6spd trannys, to much to me)=????

JTR mounting kit(now if I buy the whole 400$(?) kit, is that everything I need to put the engine and tranny in?, will I still have to fabricate stuff?)

Custom driveshaft(?)=500?

I/H/E=1,000

radiator, hoses,fluids, little things=?

I've still got a lot of researching to do, and I do appreciate your help. No, I can not fabricate, but I have some friends whom can. I relize its cheaper to fab your own mounts etc. But I was wondering if I use the JTR kit if id have to fabricate stuff still? Thanks.

I am in about 4,000 right now and I have about 2-3 more months left

I should have everything done for less than 6,000. My last big bill will be for the paint. But for less than 6k i was able to build a car with,

1972 240z

95 Corvette motor 4l60e trans

Fuel system

R230 rear end

Rear disk brakes

Roll cage, sub frames

Tokico shocks and springs

Headers and ex

Corvette shifter

And many more

So it does not take that much $$ just Time. I started last year and I built everything. I have built carb v8 swaps for less than 3,000 before, so it can be done but you have to find the good deals.

Mike

It also helps if you have some friends that are knowledgeable or some Hybrid Zers that are close to you to help. I have none of that. Therefore I am left on my own except what I get off of this site and an occasional heping hand from the wife.

Also if you work like I do, it leaves little time for the project. As far as the cost goes, I can not fab anything, Period! So having the car done for under 3 grand makes me laugh. There is no way in gods name that you can do a V-8 conversion like the one I have started and do it for under 3 grand. Like I said I have to buy all the parts I need so no fabbing going on over here.

I just plan on putting an older carbed v-8 into a 240z... thats it, I dont plan on any engine work. I just want to have a moving v8 240z. Suspension/ brakes/exterior can all happen later(unless the stock suspension will have problems with the extra 100 pounds in the front).

Since I can not fabricate my own parts, I need to know if the JTR kit is everthing I need to put the engine and transmission into the engine bay? Also are there certain headers that will fit, or is a custom one needed? Thanks