HybridZ

Opinions Please

Guest Casey240Z

Guest Casey240Z

I have found a crack in one of my cylinders so the block is done for. I have been debating what I should do, rebuild engine with new block, sell whats left and swap for LT1 and T56, or some other swap. I would like the LT1 and T56 but money is an issue. I have plenty of time due to the fact that I just graduated and don't have a job. I really want a manual transmission, so I would consider other swaps. So I am just looking for some opinions on what would be the best option, how much the different options would cost me and how long it will take.

Since you have no job, I would think money would be an issue...at least a little bit. Therefore, if you know something about rebuilding an engine, I would buy a block or used motor for cheap, have some minor machine work done on it and rebuild the motor. This is not your daily driver is it? Hope not. http://www.northernautoparts.com has some inexpensive rebuild kits. Just something to think about. My $.02.

Davy

Guest Casey240Z

It is not my daily driver, but I would like to make it into something close to a daily driver. So I would like to go fuel injection like an LT1 or a TPI which I know a little more about.

The Vortec 5.7 makes as much power as the TPI 350 and can be had for significantly less money. Look for 96-98 trucks or 97-2000 vans. Bolt it to your existing tranny for now and convert to a manual when $ is more available.

Guest Casey240Z

Mike,

The Vortec engine sounds like a good choice, I will look into it.

I found a crack in the #3 cylinder, but I think I will at least get a new block if I decide to do a rebuild.

Money is an issue but I am living at home with the folks so I don't have expenses. I may get a job to support a swap that I want. So I am not ruling out swaps that may be a little more expensive.

A complete low mileage Vortec from a dismantler should be had for about $750 depending on the area. Wiring, computer, everything. You get the excellent cylinder heads, a roller cam, in addition to fuel injection. They are factory rated at 255 hp, same as the 91 Corvette L-98 TPI (Camaro was 245). If you haven't driven a Vortec 5.7 truck, you will be impressed. The 2000# lighter Datsun should scream as well as being economical (20-25 mpg depending on trans), My Caprice LT1 was $800 from the junkyard, but was from a high mileage cop car.

Guest Casey240Z

Mike,

I looked into the vortec engine and it sounds like a good way to go. I have a few questions though. Does it use the same motor mounts? Has anyone else done this swap? Is the wiring going to be a nightmare? Will it bolt to my TH350 trans? Give me any other information that will help me.

It sounds like I could put in a hot cam and have a sweet engine for a good price.