HybridZ

Pilot Bushing

cygnusx1

I am adding a clutch to an 83 Turbo Engine that was automatic. I bought an ACT clutch kit to match the flywheel and transmission I am using- 76 280Z. The pilot bushing from ACT does not seem to fit the crank in the ZX Turbo motor. It is about 15 thousands too big on the OD. Did the 280Z and the 280ZX Turbo motors use different Pilot bushig sizes?

Maybe ACT just gave me the wrong bushing. The ID of the bushing fits on the input shaft of the Z manual tranny though.

Anyone :?:

Adapter has been removed. And the back of the Turbo Crank looks exactly like the N/A one but the bushing is slightly too big for the hole.

Thanks. I may just have the bushing turned on a lathe or go to Nissan and get a ZX Turbo pilot bushing to see if that fits.

Thanks for the info. I thought the cranks were the same until the ACT bushing was too tight. Since the cranks are the same, the bushing must be oversized too much. I will remedy it on a lathe and leave a reasonable interference fit.

On with the swap....

If you are going to machine the bushing on a lathe, then make it a .001 press fit. The bushing will crush down when you do, so the ID of the bushing, after install should be about .0025 clearance for the input shaft. Make sure it is not to lose and that it is not to tight. Both cases will make either a hard shifter, noisy, get stuck in gear, or pop out of gear. :D

Well I got the Nissan pilot bushing today and it is still a 0.003" interference fit. That seems a little tight for a factory fit. I am slightly concerned although I can still revert to plan "A" which was to machine the bushing OD. Can anyone suggest why the crank in the L28 turbo motor (originally automatic) has a tight pilot bushing fit? As fas as I can measure, the crank end ID for the pilot bushing is 20.00mm diameter. Does this sound correct?