HybridZ

turbo cam $$$ question

afther driving my z for few days i noticed that car pulls hard from about 2500rpm to 5500rpm afther that it well it just suxs dont pull as hard no more. i have done search and found that stock cam is good to about that rpm. i know that there are quite few cams out there for turbo z's but i need help on finding right one for my application (i really dont know much about cams but i really want to learn). i really dont care too much about idle but i just need cam that can pull hard anywhere from 2500-3000rpm up to 7000rpm before falling on its face. i have everything upgraded right now except turbo but that is coming in shortly. realistic goal is 400whp and also what else do i need to buy with new cam. if anyone has any prices that would be great i just need some $$$ numbers to get basic idea.

thanks

Ivan

Having a head builder do my P90 two years ago, including Schneider turbo cam, new springs and new rockers, complete valve job, head surfacing and minor machining around the exhaust valve, it set me back about $1500. It definitely opened up the top end, and, if my ECU would have let me, it wanted to spin past the fuel cut at 6400.

I got a mild crower, .218 duration at 50 thousandths, with 428 lift on a 110 LC, and it idles nice, and pulls good to my rev limit of 7k. You may want to go a little larger, and do a search, there have been several threads on the subject.

You would not know I have a cam, unless you are a Z car person, it is slightly more choppy, but it will idle down as low as about 650rpms with no problems.

I would err on the side of being conserative in cam selection too. Get to larger and you will hate it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kenafein240

The donor car I just bought has a cam from MSA, they are reasonably priced. Has anyone used these? What are your impressions?

Guest kenafein240

Also what are the stats, the Guy I bought it from had it put in, but it is the only receipt I couldnt find out of an extensive pile of receipts. The MSA catalog is anything but descriptive.

They have two cams listed (I don't know which grind it is)

.460/.440 260/250

.460/.460 270/260

What can I expect out of each of these grinds? I assume they push the sweet spot a bit higher; is there any required compression change? I'm at the stock 7.4. I shouldn' have to go any higher right?

Ivan you might look into your ECU tuning a little more. Mine pulls hard to 6300 with all the stock top end compnets inplace. Before I changed the computer it only pulled to 5800. The only change I made was the computer and all of the sudden the car wanted to turn much higher before dieing out. I still think a slightly larger or revised cam to let the engine breath in the upper RPM's would be fun and useful at this point.

Also what are the stats' date=' the Guy I bought it from had it put in, but it is the only receipt I couldnt find out of an extensive pile of receipts. The MSA catalog is anything but descriptive.

They have two cams listed (I don't know which grind it is)

.460/.440 260/250

.460/.460 270/260

What can I expect out of each of these grinds? I assume they push the sweet spot a bit higher; is there any required compression change? I'm at the stock 7.4. I shouldn' have to go any higher right?[/quote']

Both of those are considerably larger then stock, but the lift is such that you should be able to get away with stock springs. I doubt there is much difference between the two, perhaps 300 to 500 rpms of powerband extension between the small one and the larger one. There should be a number on the cam somewhere that should clue you in.

Schneider has a website you can look the number up on, and that is who grinds all MSA cams, so it would be worthwhile to scope it out and see, at least then you can report in on the benefits, if you have any.

Also make sure your timing is adjusted right, to much and you will have the powerband fall off.

Guest kenafein240

Thanks for the Tips. I checked out Schneider, looks like they're still working on the site, I'll email them. The guy I bought this parts car from did some serious work. The cam is the only thing I'm kind of dissapointed in. I wanted to autox my car. I'm not an expert driver, I'm probably going to have trouble keeping it in the powerband. Oh well I'll learn, and I wasnt going to pass up the deal over the guy putting in an extra 500 bucks worth of parts.