HybridZ

Horsepower numbers?

Guest zfan

I had my Z dyno'd a while back and came up with these numbers: 300 hp at the rear wheels and 311 ft. lbs of torque. I made peak hp at 5900 and peak torque at 4500.

My build is as follows:

350 sbc 30 over, 10.3 to 1 compression

Comp cams hyd. roller 224/230 and 502/510 at 110 ls.

1.50 roller rockers

Out of the box Edelbrock rpm heads, 64cc with 170 cc runners

weiand stealth dual plain intake

holley 750 dp 68/74 jets

all MSD ignition

Hooker long tubes 1 5/8"

2 1/2" exhaust

700r4 built tranny with 2400 stall

car weighs 2730 with me in it. It is a 71 240Z.

Best 1/4 mile is 12.30 at 113

What blows me away is how we see these numbers being pushed out of mild to mid build sbc engines, especially LT1's and LS1's. What gives because I cannot seem to get near the numbers that I seem to be hearing about all the time.

Maybe it would be better to switch than fight it :?:

Mike

I think this may be of interest!

http://www.pavtek.com.au/ls1_graph.html

http://www.zracer.com/camaro/baseline.htm

http://www.installuniversity.com/1999z28/

http://www.c5-corvette.com/C5Dyno_1.htm#LS1%20Power%20Pak

LOOK AT THE NUMBERS YOUR DOING JUST FINE!

short answer.. don,t get all weird worrying about dyno results. the only things that matter,

are does your car run well?

can you beat most of your buddies?

does the car run like you expect it too?

can you afford to throw away money to make it run faster?

keep in mind this is not IMPORTANT IN YOUR LIFE LIKE MAKING A LIVING, GETTING AN EDUCATION, OR RAISING A FAMILY, its JUST A HOBBY!

yeah its fun to go faster than your buddies but don,t go crazy over going a tenth faster at all costs,there will ALWAYS BE FASTER CARS SIMPLY BECAUSE SOME GUYS HAVE MORE TIME AND MONEY TO WASTE THAN YOU DO!

now that being said.... a cam swap to something like the cams below and adding a 250hp nitrous plate will make all right in your world again, and would be my choices to improve that combo..

http://www.crower.com/misc/cam_spec/cam_finder.php?part_num=00471&x=36&y=7

http://dab7.cranecams.com/SpecCard/DisplayCatalogCard.asp?PN=119841&B1=Display+Card

I

short answer.. don' date='t get all weird worrying about dyno results. the only things that matter,

are does your car run well?

can you beat most of your buddies?

does the car run like you expect it too?

can you afford to throw away money to make it run faster?

keep in mind this is not IMPORTANT IN YOUR LIFE LIKE MAKING A LIVING, GETTING AN EDUCATION, OR RAISING A FAMILY, its JUST A HOBBY!

yeah its fun to go faster than your buddies but don,t go crazy over going a tenth faster at all costs,there will ALWAYS BE FASTER CARS SIMPLY BECAUSE SOME GUYS HAVE MORE TIME AND MONEY TO WASTE THAN YOU DO![/b']

Excellent reality check, Grump!!

Tim

Guys,

Mike's getting nervous because Gary is smoking him with his stock LS1 240 and I'm going to start nipping at his heels with my LS1 280.

Mike -just bite the bullet and drop an LS6 in. Nothing like 365 RWHP to put us back in our places!!!

Hmm, I wonder what a 150 shot would do in my LS1?!

Bill

Grumpy,

I had a different cam in this same build and it ran like crap. The other cam I had in the car was a Comp Cams XR288-hr-10 I believe. It was 236/242-520/540 with 110 LS, that said when I pulled the cam out it was in 10 to 12 degrees advanced.

I think the engine builder screwed up on the install. I questioned them some time later re this and could not get a straight answere, perhaps thats why I try to do all my own work now!

Comp cams showed that cam on their web site dyno'd and with only 9.1 or 9.6 compression. I think that cam requires 11 to 1 or better. Wouldn't you agree? But there numbers are impressive.

What I'm really after is mid to upper 11's, which to me seems very realistic seeing as the car weighs only 2530 lbs.

Mike

I also have thought about a small shot of Nitrous but I am running KB hyperutectic pistons not forged and we all know what nitrous can do :shock:

Maybe 75 to 100 horses :!:

Bill: Wouldn't I love a LS6 Motor, got one lying around anywhere? :D

Mike

"Comp Cams XR288-hr-10 I believe. It was 236/242-520/540 with 110 LS, that said when I pulled the cam out it was in 10 to 12 degrees advanced."

IF you still have that cam in good shape ,its not a bad choice, your correct, its designed for about 10.5-11:1 compression and it works well in most engines installed strait up and it works OK with nitrous.

mid to low 11s with that 236/242 cam and a shot of giggle gas should be easily within reach ONCE EVERYTHINGS INSTALLED AND TUNED CORRECTLY

I can,t even remember when a cam ran better ADVANCED (HELL MOST COME 4 DEGS. ADVANCE BUILT in FROM SPLIT OVERLAP possition AS IT IS,YOU NEED TO RETARD MANY to get them to run correctly!

Im kinda shocked the damn thing even ran if it was 12 degrees further advanced!

I also have thought about a small shot of Nitrous but I am running KB hyperutectic pistons not forged and we all know what nitrous can do :shock:

Maybe 75 to 100 horses :!:

Mike

What about Mike's question? How much HP NOS shot can hyperutectic pistons handle?

What about Mike's question? How much HP NOS shot can hyperutectic pistons handle?

easily 100hp with 125hp -150hp being very do-able as long as you jet it to be slightly rich in the mixture. and watch the ignition advance curve carefully, I ran 150hp setting on hyper pistons for over two years untill I got dumb one day and both over advanced the timing and leaned the jets slightly, (but I doubt even forged pistons would have handled that too much better! :roll: ) BTW that was about 10 years ago and the pistons and the nitrous controls have improved a good deal since then, and just for your info, at the time I had another engine ready to install, and I was just trying to see what I could get away with on the old engine before I pulled it!

here read this

http://www.kb-silvolite.com/page14.htm

hyper pistons are not "AS STRONG AS FORGED" but they are NOT TOTAL JUNK EITHER

What Grumpy said.

300rwhp by my cabobulator. You CANNOT compare dyno numbers unless both cars were run on the same dyno under the same condition!!!

Regarding hypers, the key is to avoid detonation by running less timing and more fuel/octane, no different than running more boost. BTW, I am running hypers and we need to remember that there has been siginificant improvements in the quality over the years.

Around these parts, Don Manzo is pulling 11's with his 383 240Z with ease, and he's (only) got a 230/480 cam - which appears to go really well with his AFR heads. Maybe this is a possible option for you. Here's a sample build from Ryans stroker website:

Combo 15.

Combo 15 uses a 383 cu. in. engine with 9.5:1 compression and a 750 double pumper. With a 280° hydraulic camshaft and the AFR 190cc Street heads, this combination makes an awesome 471 HP and an incredible 515 ft-lbs of torque. This is the ultimate street engine.

Displacement: 383 cu. in.

Carburetor: Holley 750 double pumper

Heads: Air Flow Research 190cc Street

Intake: Air Flow Research FloPower RPM

Camshaft: Comp Cams 280° Magnum hydraulic, with 280° of duration, 230° of duration @ 0.050 in. lift, and 0.480 in. lift

Headers: 1 3/4 in.

Distributor: MSD

Timing: 34°

Comp. Ratio: 9.5:1

MAX HP: 471 @ 5500

MAX Torque: 515 @ 4500

BTW, even if you only go with a 100 shot of nitrous, you'll still realistically be able to beat almost anything out on the road. And, if you find a car out there that can beat a Z with a V8 on nitrous, they deserve some respect.

Good luck!

I had my Z dyno'd a while back and came up with these numbers: 300 hp at the rear wheels and 311 ft. lbs of torque. I made peak hp at 5900 and peak torque at 4500...

Cool! That is basically the specs on the motor I'm installing into my 240Z with the exception of a slightly milder cam (not as much lift) and a 650DP instead of a 750DP. My compression is a little above yours too, but that should not make much of a horsepower increase difference. If you are making 300 hp at the wheels, Mike, I'd say you are doing pretty good.

Davy

easily 100hp with 125hp -150hp being very do-able as long as you jet it to be slightly rich in the mixture. and watch the ignition advance curve carefully

Oh now you got me thinking! I havent even had my car to the track yet and now you got me wanting more HP! :D

Oh and I think Im must be running a good amount of HP cause I broke my tires loose when I shifted from 3rd to 4th yesterday and I was only at about 75% throttle! :D:shock: It was only a chirp but I still brokem loose! I cant imagine what it would be like with hard shifts! :D

Guy

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

My build is as follows:

What rear-end gears do you have?

What exhaust setup do you have?

What do you have for intake (filter, ducting, etc.)

The way your eng is built you should easily be able to make more power if you can just get more air and fuel in.

My exhaust system is 1 5/8 Hooker super comp long tube headers with 2 1/2" collectors. Followed by 2 1/2" exhaust with H pipe also mufflers are Flowmaster Mini race mufflers/2 chamber.

Rear end set up: 3:70 LSD out of a 1987 Nissan 300ZXT with 236/60-15 B.F.Goodrich drag radials.

Air intake is simple: K&N 14x3 with with new K&N filter top, should get plenty of air.

a/f reading on the dyno was 13.8 to 14. I am running 68 jets on primary with 74 on secondaries. Squirters are 31's. I have thought about going to 76's or 78's on the secondaries.

Mike

Boy do I feel stupid!!! :oops: I ment in my earlier posts to say the old larger cam(xr288hr-10) was in 12 degrees retarded..Like me obviously :oops: Kills all the bottom end.

That said I really like the cam(xr276hr-10) that's in it now :D

Mike