HybridZ

N/A to turbo conversion

av240z

I have an l28 F54 block with 10:1 compression, duel webers, schneider mild racing cam, MSA 6-1 headers with straight pipe exhaust and i was wondering what is EVERYTHING that i need to go to a turbo conversion? Of course im gonna get a front mount spearco intercooler with SDS fuel/engine management system.

L28ET motor, pan to valve cover, intake, exhaust, fuel system (injectors, fuel pump). Nothing you are running now is suitable.

Depending on your performance goals, the specific parts you need you can identify by doing searches in the turbo/supercharger forum.

Guest Anonymous

Your compression would be to high. The p90 and p79 have the same chamber size. The p90 just has square exhaust ports. You would need turbo pistons, a p90 head, the exhaust manifold, turbo, oil pan, etc..

The block is the only thing you could really reuse

so then i would just be better off buying a complete turbo motor and then rebuild that i guess?

Or just drop it in. I got mine for $150 used, has 125lb compression across all cylinders, virtually no wear. I'm putting 313hp to the wheels.

SleeperZ

If the stock l28et engine (which I just picked up from a junkyard) is rated at 180 hp' date=' how are you getting 313hp by just dropping it in?

Thanks,

Terry[/quote']

What Drax said. More air, more fuel, stock timing, intercooler, upgraded turbo, stock engine.

Guest bastaad525

I kick myself every time I remember just how much money I spent on my N/A engine to end up with only 170hp to the wheels, and how if I'd spent that same amount on a turbo motor I could probably have almost doubled that by now :cry:

Guest bobnagga

hey, I just happen to have an'83 turbo engine lying around...

It's missing the manifolds, tho. also the valve cover is gone. I got the ECU, but not the wiring harness. Lemme know if yer interested. I'll let it go for about $200

kick myself every time I remember just how much money I spent on my N/A engine to end up with only 170hp to the wheels, and how if I'd spent that same amount on a turbo motor I could probably have almost doubled that by now

I think that statement was meant in a direct HP comparison. A 200hp turbo motor vs. a 200hp NA motor.

since when is building a turbo motor cheaper than building an N/A motor. The price of a new turbo alone would be equal to a 3.1 L stroker motor.

That is completely dependant on the target horsepower. A stock turbo will get you 250 to the wheels. You would be spending a chunk of change to get an atmo motor to that target. Add $1500 to a stock turbo motor (fuel system, hybrid turbo), you can get 300+ hp to the wheels which is prohibitively expensive in an L28 atmo engine. Now you are talking V8 atmo.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought my whole donor car for 160.00, and drove it away with the tires smoking.

I sold the t5 trans for 300.00

sold the t tops for 100

sold the badges for 5.00

sold various other parts and came out with 500.00

I spent most of on parts to rebuild the engine, but I do have many a friend in the industry and I did have a little money left over after the machining of the bottom end and all the parts needed for a rebuild. Very little money, but I did have some left over.

did a full rebuild bottom end and had the head resurfaced and new valve seals done by a friend of mine for dinner at the HOUSE OF PRIME RIB, 3 COVASIER drinks each( I drink whatever hard liquor the rap guys rap about in their videos, that Busta Rhymes song was out at the time), and "stuff :twisted: "

You dont have to "build up" a 2.8 turbo motor to make awesome power,

stock with an intercooler, slightly bumped up boost, big exhaust, and a clutch that will take the power, youre just as fast, if not faster, than your average 3.1 NA stroker motor, which is good on the average for 180-200rwhp if no extra special head work and exotic parts in the bottom end are not used and compression ratio is streetable with a carb setup. Go up on the turbo, management, and address the fuel needs of your hp goals in order to keep a nice a/f ratio, the sky is the limit!!!! There is no way a 300hp NA will cost more than 300hp turbo engine setup, it may be close, but that NA engine will be way too radical for pump gas, in most cases.

If you have a way to keep the a/f/r in check and you have a healthy engine, and a fuel management system or mods that can be tuned on a dyno to achieve a good WOT ratio, I have heard of 400hp pump gas junkyard engines, and over 500hp on race gas.

My short tem goal for now is to get 280hp with the stock turbo with a nice management sytem, so I can learn how to tune it. I paid tons of cash for this laptop, I want to able to make power with it too!

I will going to a full T04e 60-1 ball bearing (which ive had for some time, and it sits next to me whenever Im on the computer) a nice turbo header and a ported N42 intake. I will looking at 350hp REAL QUICK 14.5 psi OR LESS since I will be getting a lot more flow with the ported intake, header, and 3.5 inch 45 degree downpipe Vband downpipe, and possibly go to a 4 inch exhaust system from a J spec 240sx that is made by JIC ( take a look at jspec exhaust systems for sr20det powered 240sx cars guys, they make almost an identiclal 2 45 bend to the mufflers, and I have seen 4.5 systems for them, some aftermarket, some are scavenged from diesel trucks, hint hint). This would be on California pump gas. 400hp would not be out of the question, I do take baby steps in everything I do to my own car, so that could be a year or so away. Yes, it stops being so cheap at levels like Im planning, but it DOESNT STOP FROM GETTING REAL FAST!

NAs can make a whole of power too, its been proven, but gains are much harder to get on an NA, IN GENERAL, cubes are worth a whole lot more in a NA if you want to make big big NA power, thats where a v8 rocks..