HybridZ

E31 head ?`s

denny411

This head may have been installed on a later 240 then. :? What is a good way to tell what year a 240 is when you don`t have the title?

The car has a wierd looking console. No ashtray or storage tray in it, and it has a chocke lever where the ashtray would normally be.

The car also has a factory wooden steering wheel.

I assume it`s not a 70 because there are no vents in the hatch and it has the round "Z" sail panel vents, but the front bumper brackets look similiar to the ones I removed from a 73. :?

I looked but did not see any tag on the drivers door or door jamb.

The car also has the original am/fm radio still in place. i`ll check tomorrow to see if it still works.

I`m planning to buy the car to part out. it is rusted WAY beyond repair.

:-D If the vents are not on the hatch. It is most likely a 1971 240Z. You have described what is in mine. It came with the E-31 head. It was produced in late 1970 and shipped as a 1971 model. Keep looking for the vin plate, it should verify that.

I checked this morning and the vin plate from the door jam was removed as well as the dash vin plate. I`m going to assume that it is a 72 because the vin# on the firewall is 21000 less than a 73 240 that I bought a few years ago

I bought the car this morning so nearly everything(other than body parts) is available.

I suppose it`s time to move my post to the buy/sell forum, and start pricing things for sale. :wink:

Thanks for the help guys.

The E31 head was only avaliable on cars made in 1970, some of these may have been sold as a '71 such as my car but were still made in '70. Starting Jan 1, 1971 they moved to the E88 head. This info is taken from the Z-Garage website.

Guest JAMIE T

OK, My '71 has quarter vents as later models, no hatch vents, the same console you described, AND a E31 head. It's VIN is 40000(really). I'm betting you have a '71.

Guest JAMIE T

Also, the VIN is stamped into the fire wall above the brake booster. Right into the sheet meatal, so tag to be removed. Check the numbers on the block, if it is original(should match the one on the firewall), that will tell you if the engine has been changed.

TexasZ, my car is a late production '71 with an E31 head. This is a numbers matching car, VIN# HLS30-40000. The '71 model year had many changes. At any time, you can find something un-ordinary.

My '73 does have an E88(to be expected) head though.

Guest Al 260Z

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I'd be very concerned about missing ID tags if you want a registered, street-legal car. Missing ID plates are typically the result of theft or other squirrelliness. Did you get papers with the car? Do VIN numbers on papers match number on firewall? You may have a hell of a time getting the thing properly registered if it was stolen.

Good luck!

Al

Guest JAMIE T

I don't think he ever mentioned registering the car. Probably a parts car. In his first post, he asked how much would be a good price for a E31 head.

I bought the car stricktly as a parts car. It is rusted way beyond any hope of repair. Not even Fred Flintstone would want to drive it. :D

The car does have some high demand parts for the purists, and good drivetrain parts.

E31 heads are of some value to folks doing a restoration. They are no longer of much value to racers because their only advantage (compression ratio increase) has been negated by what a lot of L6 engine builders have figured out. Early E88 heads are now the preferred ITS head.

Guest Walkingpig

I have the 2 bonnet vents, and the plate on the car says 7/71, and i have an E31 head if thats any help?

and its unadvisable to turbo an E31?

• 1 month later...
Guest mikey_clark

Where on the head is the stamp or number that tells what head it is? My brother has an old 240 engine laying out in the mud at his house. The intake side is covered with mud. At the back of the head (what would be up against the firewall) it has a #2 and a 3-18. Are there other numbers I should be looking for? I'm trying to identify the head to see if it's worth using. It was rebuilt not too long before it was tossed.

It does have square exhaust ports if that means anything.

The numbers on the block were hard to read, but I think the first number was 1?24. Couldn't make out the 2nd number, And the number on the right looked like 1023.