HybridZ

400 v-8 vs 350 v-8???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

wow that sounds like alot of work. isn't the 400scb faster and stronger (stock) than the 350sbc?

also I heard of a heating problem,is this true?

They got a bad rep. for overheating. If they are set up right and with the correct cooling system, they are fine. You can also drill and tap the block between the middle two cylinders on each side to cool the hot spots (plumb in extra coolant lines.) Also some of the bad press came from many people putting the heads from 350 on 400 blocks and not drilling the steam holes in the head/head gasket.

Where in so cal are you?

Tim

Not to be crude, but I'm a plastic surgeon specializing in breast surgery and when it comes to implants, we also say:

"There's no replacement for displacement" tongue.gif

Maybe this is what prompted me to pick up Fast Frog's 383.I hope this doesn't offend any female members of the board. By the way, are there any?

Originally posted by silicone boy:

...I hope this doesn't offend any female members of the board. By the way, are there any?

Not enough of them. :rolleyes: We occasionally have one or two pipe up now and then, but it's mostly 'the guys' here in the forum. Don't be too polite :D

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys again, thanks for the tranny info,but I just found a 400sbc in a car and I have a Goodwrench 350sbc. shell I stick with the 350 I have or get the 400??? which is better???

(street racing)

(stock hydro 400 or 700R-4 tranny)

(r-200 LSD)

thanks guys

silicone boy

"I'm a plastic surgeon specializing in breast surgery "

sounds like a lot more fun than building engines!!! building your own set of double (d) cups sure must be a satisfying way to spend an afternoon , compared to grinding clearances for stroker crankshafts and degreeing in cams

BTW 40v8now

BUILD A 406 out of that 400 block,use flat top pistons,ARP main studs,a milodon windage screen, 6" (h) beam rods with 7/16" bolts,and if you can afford it install a set of 210cc AFR heads and a CRANE # 118551 solid roller cam,edelbrock #2925 victor intake, 750 holley carb 1 3/4" headers and a 4.11 rear gear with a 3500 stall tq converter in the th400 transmission , and a 250 hp nitrous plate under the carb, slicks a good roll cage and go kick almost everyones butt.

"I'm a plastic surgeon specializing in breast surgery "

sounds like a lot more fun than building engines!!! building your own set of double (d) cups sure must be a satisfying way to spend an afternoon , compared to grinding clearances for stroker crankshafts and degreeing in cams

You know what Grumpy,

I've been on vacation this week, looking forward to working on my car, but after a few days of grinding away at my strut housings, wrestling with dirty suspension parts, etc., I'm ready to get back to the office!!!

The 400 and 350 are externally identical, so the mounts/setback plates wouldn't be a problem. If you wanted to use a 400 damper, I seem to recall they are 7.95" diameter. My 6 1/4" fluidamper is only about an inch away from the crossmember with a jtr kit, and the 400 damper is at least 1/2" thicker than the fluidamper. The 400 damper may be a very close fit. If anyone wants me to, I'll get some accurate measurements and post them. But if you're going to build a big hog, it needs a fluidamper anyway. That would require an internally balanced crank. I say go with the 400. I had a 406 in a late model dirt car and it would really suck your cheeks back.

Guest Anonymous

400 will be tough for 2 reasons.

the 400 is externally balanced.

harmonic ballancer you will have troubles with because it won't clear the front cross member.

and you will have troubles with the flex plate, as the jtr requires the smaller diameter flex plate, and I don't think chevy ever sold the 400 with the small flex plate.

Besides all that, IMHO, the 240 is better off with more horsepower, less torque. The driveline is kinda marginal, the half shafts are kinda marginal. More horsepower at higher RPM won't stress them as much as more torque at lower RPM's.

my opinion. So if it were me, I'd build a winderup 350 over a 400.

-Doug Miller

Doug Miller

is correct But I don,t build 406 cid engines with stock parts anyway, SCAT MAKES A INTERNALLY BALLANCE ,6" ROD 3.75" STROKE ROTATEING ASSEMBLY WITH 4340 FORGED CRANK THAT WORKS WITH THE 350 INTERNAL BALLANCE DAMPER AND FLEX-PLATE.