HybridZ

Why a 283???

Going to look at a 240 with a 283 in it. My question - why would anyone put a 283 in a z when you can just as easily put in a 327, 350, 383 etc? The owner *claims* 355HP, which even I in my ignorance do not believe. Is this a poor choice of engine, or is it possible to get 300+ HP? What heads/cam/intake would it take to do this? Is the 283 substantially lighter than any other sbc? Should I run away and not look back? Lotsa questions, I know, but all answers/comments/opinions welcome.

Just my $.02

Why would anyone put a 283 in a z when you can just as easily put in a 327, 350, 383 etc?

Because:

1) They had it;

2) They like the high RPM's a short 3" stroke delivers;

3) They make think a 283 can make more than enough power for a 2,400 lbs car;

Is this a poor choice of engine, or is it possible to get 300+ HP?

300 HP yes, how much, well its cost more to get power out of less. This is a case where less is less.

What heads/cam/intake would it take to do this? AH Grumpyvette I here your name being called. :cool:

Is the 283 substantially lighter than any other sbc?

NO! A small block is a small block in terms of weight

Should I run away and not look back?

NO! If it's set up right in your perspective (engine location, good conversion, good body & interior, rear end) and the price is right, I'd look closer. The conversion is already done so if the 283 does not meet your needs replace it. The ignition, exhaust, cooling, transmission issue are already addressed.

I'd say look closer.

Personally I'd consider what it would cost to put a 350, 377 or 406 in it but I'm into drag racing. Others might feel that a 283 would make a good daily driver in a 2600lbs car.

a 283 can make plenty of power for a daily driver in a 2500 lb car , and yes 300hp-350hp is a possiablity from a 283 but it will take good parts to get that hp level, a set of vortec heads heavly modifyied with a good solid lifter cam, 1 5/8" full length headers, and a good 600cfm carb and a performer rpm intake will get you close!

Guest Anonymous

I agree with Larry, let the quality of the conversion and price be your guide. The 283 can always be swapped out in a few hours for something with a bit more power.

350 hp might be a bit optimistic, even the fuely was only 283 hp. I'm sure more power is/was available, often in the 60's and 70's the hot rodders would bore the thing out till it displaced 301 inches, that was the hot setup of the day, I'm not sure what that equates to in bore diameter, but I think thats with it bored out .060 . So it had to be close to the same as the 302 Chevy built with a 4" bore and 3" stroke. Its not a bad motor, it gives up inches to the popular 350, but it will do the job.

Ironically I remember when the 350 was'nt embraced as a performance motor and the 327 was the prefered performance engine of the day. If its cheap I'd buy it, the 283 can be changed out as I said in a few hours time when the dollars allow.

Good luck,

Lone

Guest Want aZ
Originally posted by DCZ:As far as SBC engines externally they are all virtually the same as far as size weights etc... but it is possible to get that much HP out of a 283 with out doing too much... in '57 chevy had a 270 hp 283 with a hot cam and 2 4bbl, this was normally coupled with a 4sp close ratio trans...waw an original one in a 57 Bel Air, and the shifter was on the column..now that is different...with the proper heads, intake, and cam its easy to really boost hp in SBC engines...last one I built was a 305 that put out over 300 hp and i built it for less than $800...

Going to look at a 240 with a 283 in it. My question - why would anyone put a 283 in a z when you can just as easily put in a 327, 350, 383 etc? The owner *claims* 355HP, which even I in my ignorance do not believe. Is this a poor choice of engine, or is it possible to get 300+ HP? What heads/cam/intake would it take to do this? Is the 283 substantially lighter than any other sbc? Should I run away and not look back? Lotsa questions, I know, but all answers/comments/opinions welcome.

Wow, thanks all, that's good info. I know just enough about L6 engines to make a mess should I ever tear into one. I'm slowly dipping my toes into the V8 ocean. Hopefully, I can take a look at it this weekend and let y'all know what I find.

Guest Anonymous

DCZ make sure it is indeed a 283!

The guy that sold me his Z thought he had a regular 2bolt 350 making around 210 horsies..well once I ran the numbers it turned out to be a 327/275hp engine!

So check the numbers first!!!

if it is indeed a 283, I personally would think of what I am going to do with the car first...is it a looker? a runner? a grocery getter (yes that engine qualifys) so figure what you want to do with it.

I use my Z as a racer because my Corvette retired from racing, hence the reason for buying my Z car.

If you do plan to hop up that little 283, be sure to buy the bolt on parts that you can use with other small block chevys, such as heads, intake, cam, carb, hell even jam a little nitro in there and watch the eyes freak as you say "its a 283"..or watch your eyes go "oh no I guess im gonna have to get a new engine"

Don't even blow your money on pistons and stuff like that.

So get the numbers...then figure what you want.

Hell be glad you dont have a 265....doh or do you?

ahhahahaa good luck!

Oh and by the way how much money is he asking? If your going to buy that Z, I would look for rust and other things that are more important than an engine.

Took a look at the car with the 283 yesterday, unfortunately it doesn't look so good. Rusty, bent frame rails, rust around all windows and rear hatch, Whole lotta bondo, hacked electrics, no brake/suspension/bracing work done, hanging exhaust, etc. The engine looked pretty good but the car was so bad I didn't investigate the seller's claims. Scarab kit installation w/ auto trans. He said it's a 283 with a Corvette cam, 10.5:1 compression, Mallory dual point distributor, Edelbrock alum intake and a holley carb (not sure which one). He fired it up and it sounded pretty good but I didn't drive it. Asking $2300. If anyone is interested I can email the phone #. Car is east of Raleigh NC. The search continues . . . rockon.gif

Guest grinsha

I will give you a couple reasons i am putting one in my ZX.

1 I put 283's in everything.

2 I can build it as much as i want and not break my T5.

3 Mustang owners wont have the 50 more CID excuse.

4 If i blow it up i can still find a replacement for under $50.

5 If the factory built a 315HP 283 so can i.

Guest Anonymous

Oh my.....your starting to sound like my 50 year old uncle, stuck in da day....

Ok heres a few replys

1. Same dimensions as a 350, but much harder to find..so essentially you can stick 350's "in everything"

2. Depends on what T-5 ...theres many variations, most are pretty hard to break with a whopping 283 behind it, but it is possible...let me drive it, I' definitly break that T5..or any T5.

3. Haven't heard that one too often, the one I hear is "Well your car is not in my class" and the other one is "Are you running Nitrous?" Of course im not, thats cheating! Only Ford Mustangs need Nitrous or supercharger to keep up with my Vette and Z!

4.I don't think you will find many 283's...and if you do, you would spend $50 in gas looking for one.

5. 315hp? hell you can build one with 415 horsepower..its called pop-ups..aluminum heads..and a few other goodies you can buy at Jegs.

Regardless of what motor you get...we will support you smile.gif

The 1969 Camaro had an option for a 302 rated at 290 HP (which unless I miss my quess is a 283 bored 30 over). Most publications said this was a very conservative estimate so yes, one could argue the factory made a 300 HP "283". That same engine had an option for a dual 4 barrel "Smokey Ram" intake that hung the separate Holley's to the right and left of each valve cover. Each carb feed the opposite bank of cylinders. That is still (IMO) the coolest engine I have ever seen. Also remember the Ford 289 (similar class of engine) was Shelby's first choice for the Cobras and GT40's; two cars that have nothing to apologize for.

Before anyone beats me to the comment, Chevy limited displacement of the engine to 302 CI to be eligible for a specific class of racing that was prevalent in 1969. So yeah, all else being equal, you can get more HP and a fatter torgue curve out of a larger displacement engine. And yeah, in this century 350's are much more prevalent and have more aftermarket parts geared specifically toward them. So unless you have a 283 lying around it is could cost more to build.

But, having said all that, a shorter stroke motor is still a very good choice for a light weight road racer like a Z. Notice I said "good" choice and not necessarily "better". Put too much low end torque in a Z and you had better have a calibrated foot to keep from spinning the tires off the line.

For drag racing, go with the cubes. But then again, if you only want to go in straight lines you are missing half the fun of a Z. Perhaps an old Nova or 69 Camaro is a better place to start.

The 302 is basically a 283 crank in a 327 block or a .125 overbored 283. One reason to NOT run the 283 (VERY few can be safely bored .125 and would have to be xrayed) is that the small bore won't let you use the big valve heads. The small bore also shrouds even the small valves. Same reason to stay away from 265, 267, 305 and 307. The 302, 350 and 327 all share the same 4" bore. PAW has a 302 engine kit for anybody interested in a package. Way cheaper to build a 350, however and you can spend some of the extra $ on 6" rods and a lightened flywheel.

Guest Anonymous

It is a family thing to go back to your roots and want a 283. There is a whole generation born in the 60's out there that was concieved in the backseat of a 57 Chebby powered by a 283 setting in a drive in movie. Think about it and the magnitude that was produced! The first sound heard was not a maternal heart beat but the heart beat of bowtie america and few years later the cramped quarters of a Mustang blue oval spawned even more powered by sixes and eight. This should answer the question why these cars are so popular as collectors with grayback baby boomers because it is where and in what..........Hon , lets try out the back seat like old times......and leave that 283 running; the vibration is so soothing. (that is my opinon)

• 1 month later...
Guest soulfly454

hey dcz i have a question is the z ur talking about iknow this is an old thread but was it in wilsons mills,nc or in that area and was it red and was the guys name hunter dixon if so i just bought that car and let me tell you my bro has a 350 and a 383 stroker and they cat touch my car and the other day i blew the doors off a brand new mustand who thought it was funny that a datsun with a "little" 283 wanted to race bu once he heard the 72oo plus rpms churning out of my car he looked like he wanted to cry for spendng 20,000+ on his car which got beat by mine that i picked up for 2000

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that is the one SoulFly. I have no doubt that car hauls ass! Do yourself a favor and get some upgraded brakes and take care of the crinkled frame rails and rusty underbody so that you can continue to spank Mustangs for a long time! I passed on that car because I didn't want to get into the frame rail/rust repair thing. WAY TO GO! rockon.gif