HybridZ

theoretical swap possibilitys

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i thought this might be the most apropriate place to post this for advice.

i want to put an RB26DETT with AWD into a 1997 impreza coupe. have i cought your attention. hope so any advice and if someone could point me in the correct direction of acquiring the engine and possibly someone to install it for my while im good with cars i dont want to take on this task alone.

I mean this in the best possible way, so please take it as such. This is not a slam or flame, just a reality check.

Why an impreza? Why not a corolla? Your money is far better spent getting a used WRX and modding the heck out of it. And it would cost about 1/2 as much. Do you have any idea of the massive custom fabrication involved? It is nowhere near bolt in and I'd bet good money the engine is way too tall for the subaru engine bay.

The absolute best advice I can give you is to not pursue this at all. The engine/tranny/etc.. will at a min cost 5-6k. Then the fabrication cost will easily cost 3-4 times that and it may never work perfectly.

Oh, I didn't include fuel tank, fuel pump/lines, larger aftermarket radiator, intercooler, exhaust, etc.. which all cost a significant penny.

This is not even a task for some very experienced fabricators. You could pick up a used R32 GT-R skyline for cheaper I'd bet.

-Bob

the impreza has a horizontally opposed 4 cylinder which sits very low so as to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. Like Bob H said, in order to get an engine like the RB26DETT in there, you would have a minimum of 6 inches of it sticking out of the hood and more engine in front of the wheels resulting in a much higher CG and poor front/rear weight distribution. i've seen WRXs with 586 HP that would probably cost less than getting a front clip and a weeks worth of shop time.

Well, as the lads say a rb's not going to cut it. But you have a need for twin turbo 6 cylinder power. So why not use the engine from the svx. They were rated with same H.P. as the Rb26 (280hp ex japan). There is also the newer 3lt six that is out in the new legacy's. They will make a turbo version of that soon from what I have read. The new STi 2.5lt is a nice sounding engine as well.

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

ah i forgot to consider engine height. i considered the width issue and being as ive got the flat 4 i didnt anticipate any problems there.... so this may not be the route. i realy want to move to the 6 cilinder route wether it be a V6 or I6 im not to partial. the subaru engines while they are a great quality i just dont see it putting down sufficant power and still being a streetable ride.

ZROSSA which engine were you recomending i look into? and do you happen to know if it was avalible with AWD id realy like to stick with the AWD trend.

and before you guys bash on me i didnt post this here out of ignorance i love the Z cars and i do plan on getting a super hybrid Z sometime in the neer future. i figured this stie is all about swaps while you may not have direct experence with my car you have probably the best collective information on swapping in general.

All the engines I mentioned were subaru units. Subaru's first atempt at a six cylinder sports car came witha flat six 2.7 lts and a turbo. I dont know the name in the states but you did get it. The second one was out of the svx. 3.3 lt flat six with a turbo. This is the engine I would play with although i havent heard of many people doing so. They were auto only, but I am sure you could hook it up to the existing gear box without to much trouble. The last engine was released here ( N.Z.) about two years ago in the legacy. 3lt flat 6. Much lighter then the older units and will come out with a turbo soon. This one will cost you a lot to mod. The most senceable thing to do would figure out how much power you would like and how you would like it delivered(power band) and then work backwards. If you are looking for less then 400 h.p at the fly wheel i would stick to the 4 cylinder. Cheeper , easeier, lighter and the parts are there. Remember the week link in the subaru's is the transmission.

Cheers

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

wow thanks thats realy helpfull. you wouldnt happen to know any more specs on it would you? ill look it up but incase it takes me a while it would be nice to have some generalised info.