HybridZ

OH CRAP *gets on knees and cries*

Guest Zachb55

Guest Zachb55

OK, im hoping this isnt as big of a problem as i think it is, and i do believe there might be an easy cure to it. While rebuilding my engine i of course replaced the freeze plugs on the block and head. Today i put coolant back into the engine for the first time (the engine is all the way back in the car ready to be started), and i have like 3 plugs leaking coolant, not quickly or anything, except for the big one on the end of the block, it seems to be leaking a bit more, and i KNOW the is no way i could get at that to take it out and attempt to reseal it without removing the engine again. what i was thinking is this; i know they have coolant system flushes and such, and i know they make a system for gas cans that seal them by pouring some stuff in there and letting it dry, do they make something like this for the inside of the cooling system? to maybe plug any holes that you just happend to spring a leak through? please say they do!! if not, then crap, i guess its going to be a LOT longer until this Z sees pavement... :cry:

-Zach

I wouldn't try to use any sort of sealant. I've used this in the past on other cars - when the engine was torn down for a rebuild they commented on all of the CLOGGED coolant passages :shock: Could you unbolt the motor mounts and lean the engine some way to get to the plugs? Did you not use sealant on them when they were driven in?

OH MY GOD DON'T EVER USE THAT STUFF!!!! I did this on a Honda Accord I had about 10 years ago being sure to follow the directions to the letter and it plugged up the cooling system alright, to the point that the engine overheated and fused the #1 piston to the block!

Guest Zachb55

hmm, i see how that could be an issue... i used a sealer but i guess i didnt get ample coverage darnet. well ill see what i can do about the ones i can get at easily, maybe ill be able to get at the larger one through one of the small ones. ill see what i can do. are you guys sure they dont have any new-age products that are thinner and still create an effective seal? i mean the leakage is very minute, but this is with the engine off so i can only imagine the leakage with it on... :(

-Zach

If you want to fix this the easy way, (not the right way), you could spray a good carb cleaner on the area to clean off residue coolant, then mix yourself up some two part epoxy from the parts house (comes in a twin tube syringe), and use a 16 penny nail to spread the epoxy around the freeze plugs/block, and it WILL seal the leak.

This may sound like a jerry rig fix, but hey... it'll work, and you won't have to pull the motor.... o.gif

Ive never had to pull a motor to change freeze plugs. For the big freeze plug, all you need to do is drop the tranny, drill a hole in the plug, and use a puller, or something to pry it out USING the hole you drilled.

The small freeze plugs on the block are easy cake to get to. Just drill hole in middle, pull.

How did you remove the old freeze plugs before rebuilding the engine? If you pryed the out from the sides, you could have damaged the block, causing leaks.

I believe you can buy the expandable rubber plugs in a bunch of different sizes.

On all the engines I've rebuilt, I always use a small amount of sealant on the freeze plugs. Just a very thin film. I never had problems with leaking or coolan passages getting clogged. Yes, if you blob a lot of it on there, when you tap the plug in, you are bound to have some that could come loose in the water jacket.

Pete

You might try GREEN Locktite (290) - it works like a penetrating oil, and can be used to seal small leaks. Just apply some around the edge of the plugs. Clean them up first, of course, and it would probably help to drain the coolant first so that more isn't leaking out while you are trying to fix the leak.

I don't know why this stuff is not more widely used (PEP Boys carry it here) - IMHO it's the most versatile Locktite variation out there - same strength as Blue, but works on bolts that are already assembled. Awesome stuff.

Guest cbrunberg

I agree with John....but if you have to fudge it... the only product I've had good luck with is Moroso Ceramic Seal. I used it in a diesel Toyota with a blown head gasket so I could drive it home to fix it and I used it in my SB Ford also a head gasket and drove it for a yaer before I redid the heads. It worked until I could afford the machine work about 20k. I know others who have used it and had good results. Just make sure you FOLLOW DIRECTIONS!

I suggest if the car isn't your only means of transportion, pull the tranny and do it right.

Carl

Guest Zachb55

well see, heres the thing; i pulled all the original freeze plugs without damaging them by just pushing one side in and it spins right out of the hole... i was thinking i would do this to the rearward most one on the outside so i could reach the inside of the big one. the next thing i do is take some of that green locktite and spread it on the INSIDE of the big one...then i put the plug back in (they are all brand new, dont want to waste them really) and then locktite them all from the outside. then if this doesnt work, ill try an internal sealer. the big reason why im not about to pull this motor is 1) i need to get this running so the parents can sell a car, 2) cause i need a car by the time school starts, and 3) because i plan on going to a different engine within a year, and i figure that i wont be driving it hard or anything so with a quality sealer it should run well for a good few months. if i can make it to christmas ill be good, cause im thinking ill go for an engine for that, haha, yeah right, maybe with a little help from myself as well... Thank you guys very much for your info, and your concern, i understand it fully, and i know what a crappy sealer can do to an engine, unfortunatly...

-Zach

just to add my .02.

Ive had great success with some stuff called "seal all" its available at home depot, and comes in a little (or big) yellow tube. its good stuff, and things like gasoline or other chemicals wont break it down.

anywho...goodluck