HybridZ

Car sitting for 4 years ?s

Guest GillSS1

Guest GillSS1

Anyone have any suggestions on what I need to check on a 72 240 w/L24 that had been sitting for 4 years? I got the gas drained and tank cleaned. The carbs looks good, it will start and run, but not rev smoothly, lots of missing and backfireing. The plugs are new but not the wires, cap, rotor or coil.

Any thoughts?

Also how is the choke control lever mounted (mine is just kinda flopping around in the console.

Thanks

Andy

Guest 240hybrid

I would replace the distributer cap,rotor (button) and put new plug wires on it too. Cheap items, and have to do with getting spark to those cylinders that arent firing.

Another way to make things easier on yourself is pull the plug wires one by one. The one that doesnt change the motors tone and idle are the ones not firing. Makes it much easier to track down the problem when you know which cylinders arent firing.

As for the choke there should be a few screws holding it in place that go into the center console itself.

A haynes manual, chilton manual, or service manual is very useful too. I like the original service manuals over the others, but are up there in price.

good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a 240 running after 4.5 yrs of sitting. I went through this car before it was parked so everything on the motor was perfect, I also went through the carbs, they were spotless. My dad finally realized he was never going to do anything with it so now I have another Z. The gas sitting is the real problem. I had to take the suction chambers of the carbs off to clean the varneshed crap off the needles. The chokes would not work from the sticky mess under the carbs and I also clean out the float bowls as I didn't want any junk getting in the valve for the needles. The tank had so much crap ( rusty tar like junk) in it it would not stay running. I changed fuel pumps before realizing this. If yours is bad don't waste your time, get another or get it boiled out, flushing with gas will not work. I tried muratiic acid and it wouldn't touch the tarred up goop. I put another tank in it. Points and cap were still good. The oil was still clear, he probably drove it less that 200 miles before parking it fix the interior. I would pull the tops off the carbs atleast. I finally got it to run only to have a water passage erode past the firing ring. Now it's in the middle of a 7M swap.

• 2 months later...

Run a can of Barriman's Fuel Tank Additive w/every fuel fill up for the next few months.

Dont forget on those 240z's that you have a fuel filter not only at the engine but also at the back near the fuel tank just behind & upwards of the rear passenger side wheel/tire. The cap of that fuel filter just screws off and down falls the fuel filter...make sure your face is out of the way-dont wanna be swallowing any fuel :oops:

I'ld also wanna replace all your belts...cheap stuff like the first post said.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)