HybridZ

Thought i would share my mods.... and why im depressed.....

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Hey guys..

i doubt ill get this car done in time for houston as its only like 2 months away.

but i havent given up hope... if anybody knows of deals on parts or whatever that i need LET ME KNOW! im strictly on a budget now.. why starting now? lol because i plunked down alot of cash 5 mins ago and ordered my wheels.

17x10 rear, 17x9 front.. CCW wheels, gun-metal centers with polished lip.

so happy.

going to order my tires this week, yokahama ES100's. 275-40-17 rear and 245-45-17 front.

then when the group buy comes ill buy the ZG flares.

but heres the list of parts so far... this is why im depressed.

17in CCW wheels.

Blitz SBC i-D & Powermeter i-D

Modern Motorsports 8in coilovers, 225 spring rate front, 250 rear

Modern Motorsports rear brake brackets

Thicker Bump-stops

Tokico illumina adjustable struts

Energy Suspension Bushing kit

Silvia rear brakes

MSA clear headlight covers

MSA motor mounts

momo pedals

momo shift knob

JSK front hats and mounts

JSK t-body adapater

wilwood 12in vented rotors

wilwood calipers (bought wrong ones and need to get the right ones)

autopal headlights with city lights

280ZX n/a 5-speed with driveshaft (2 seater)

new ball joints

new wheel bearings

tokico 280ZX turbo clutch master cylinder, release bearing, slave cyld.

MSA steering rack boots

MSA shorted steering knuckles

MSA bumpsteer spacers

Mike Kelly's last set of Adjustable control arms.

Blitz NUR-spec 80mm turbo muffler with 3inch SS pipeing

New tie rod ends.

all new bearings and seals.

... man im forgeting alot of things.. oh i have all my sound system stuff, and not to say i didnt spend alot on paint, misc parts and etc.

this is why im depressed... so much money and work and still not a running car to show for it.

im just hoping it will be nice when its done, and it will make ppl say "wow thats a nice Z-car"

thats all i want, not a show car, not the fastest car, just something special.

Stop buying and start installing. Or buy some time at a shop and have someone do it for you. You've got enough there that you will get the results you are looking for. It seems from your posts that you are always digging your hand in your wallet. Put it in your toolbox and get the thing going! :D

Your car doesn't need to have all of those parts installed to run. Install the suspension and brakes and take the rest of the stuff with you. Do the non-essentials last. I'm pretty sure I know where I'd put the stereo and headlight covers on my "things to do list".

You should be able to get that suspension done in a matter of a few days if you have the tools. Its all nuts and bolts, except the coilover stuff.

Guest 240hybrid

Man, if there were any reason for me to be depressed. It would be me not having but only about half of all those goodies you listed. You should be grinning ear to ear :D .

I would let your wallet stop smoking for a while, and install some of those goodies you have. :) Seeing the parts on the car and ready for the road will get you hopes up, plus it is one less thing to worry about doing.

Guest ON3GO

oh im happy, i just wish the car will be running.

i have been going at the car every day now. but im waiting for alot of parts like my new tie rod ends, and i need to find a place to do my coilovers.. other wise's ill be happy.

then i can work on the back of the car... some how find my rear end i wanna do, then its motor time.. that i know i can get done in time.. just intercool sizing and such is giving me a hard time.

and yes brad ill be taking like 100000000000 pics... im ording my tires this week i hope.

im uploading alot of pics now of my parts..

ill share some pics.

also yeah i know what you mean about the headlight covers and such.

but my mom bought them for me without me even knowing it... im not gonna turn them down..... plus i was gonna buy them later down the road anyways.

thanks

mike

Guest ON3GO

some pics of my goodies for my Z.. which just made me fall, i swear it hates me, it just tripped me with its steering rack.

Blitz NUR spec 80mm turbo muffler

album_pic.php?pic_id=1464

what my Z does best guys!

album_pic.php?pic_id=1465

Nismo Quick Steer Knuckles

album_pic.php?pic_id=1466

bump-steer spacer

album_pic.php?pic_id=1467

cleaning up some rust..

album_pic.php?pic_id=1468

wheel well...

album_pic.php?pic_id=1469

sorry if there big, just thought i would share some pics... they kinda put a smile on my fave.

btw thats my dad in some pics...

thanks

It took 3 years for me to get my car done (and its still not "done"). During that time I went through the whole range of emotions. Just keep plugging away and get yourself mentally prepared for having to redo some of the work you haven't even started yet!

Guest ON3GO

thanks guys for the kind words and man o man i know its gonna be even harder later on.

i just bought new tie rod end's and that really sums up my whole suspension.. kinda..

i need to get in touch with Precision Brake Company... they wont return my phone calls or anything.. i bought the wrong calipers so i need to return them and order the right ones.. and i need to get the stainless steel brake lines for my Z also.

then i can start putting everything back together.

thanks

mike

Guest rick458

What are your plans for the motor?

It looks like you have some very good suspension mods going on.

And dont feel bad I have spent 3 1/2 weeks and $600.00 just getting mine to run, and she still isn't on the road. and all the replaced parts fit in 2 corona boxes.

She should be on the street Thursday to see what else needs debugging.

At least it will be thinking of cooling off when you come down (over?)here.

Guest ON3GO

ya i just got back from texas and its hot there, so im glad its gonna be some what cool when i get there.

plans are a turbo L28, built.. but i doubt that will happen before i go, im hoping.

i just figured out how much i spent so far. just a tad over 11 grand.

thats with the $2250 price of the car and the $700 bucks to ship it.

and ive only owned the car for what 3 months?

man i could have a nice down payment on a STI.

Stop buying and start installing...

Yep, that is true. You have a bigger, better, badder inventory then even I do :D

That said, take some time and start installing the stuff while you still can. If something bad happens, you'll be out major cash and not enjoy the performance parts you do have.

Davy

Guest ON3GO

no i have a 280ZX n/a 2seater 5-speed... all those parts i listed i have.. plus more.

i got it because of its taller gearing and the car will be turbo.

im taking off some American Racing 14in wheels, with Creger (sp?) mag Knockoff's on them.

mike

Guest Hceline17

I have always, always loved the lines of the 78 and earlier Z's... and am about 2 paychecks away from buying one (with the full intention of putting in a Chevy 350, comes highly recomended any objections for the Z application?) when I stumbled across this website... I really want a good sportscar, I really want a Z... but is this car really a money pit? This thread was started by an individual with a lot of mods and his car doesn't run... should I take that as a sign? I have a lot of time before i need the car to run, but I simply can't afford to spend a lot of money getting this car up to the performance levels I want... Is this the right car for a speed freak?

The reasons I chose the car are simple enough, I love the lines, it has a huge engine bay I can stuff just about any engine into that I want, it has an independant suspension at all corners and its still has a low entry price. That last point is the most critical for me being a student in some respects... I have big plans, but I know I won't have a budget. Should I just suck it up and go with an eighties Camaro for performance (get a mullet while I'm at it) or what? Please, I would love some insight.

Guest ON3GO

well sense i started the thread ill help ya out.

im 19 years old, and a student.

i bought a car that wasnt running very well at all, and i was gonna spread out my project over the years...many years.. but this whole project was for me and my father to spend time together and build together. but im now moving to texas in 2 months so its been a none-stop parts buying ordeal..

yes for me my car is a money pit, but only because im buying the highest pricest/qualty parts...well atleast i dont think im buying junk.

i spent about 11 grand so far in 3 months but that 11 grand was gonna be spread out over many many many years.

i mean you dont have to buy $2000 rims like me, and all the suspension parts like me.

im really replacing all the parts in the car.. thats why its alot also.

i say go for it... buy your Z, and have a blast building it and racing it.

i sold my much NICER, NEWER and MINT 1993 Z32 300zx for my Z, and i dont regret it at all.