HybridZ

Somebody school me... how to launch a turbo and be fast??

Guest bastaad525

I don't vary my rpms, I just hold there, dump on the 2nd yellow light. My 60 foot time on my 12.59 pass was 1.97, so I must have not hit boost instantly, I am still getting used to this Stage V turbine wheel, verus the stage III. I have run a best of 1.89, on drag radials, and street tires (stage 3 turbine) .

I am trying to get where I spin the tires over just enough to build boost when they stop spinning, but the car has forward momentum, so it spools, hooks and goes.

When I slip the clutch, I burn off the DR's, get wheel hop, run slower et's, but I only lose about 1 mph. Its a vicious cycle, but you have to get into a rythym, and I have traditionally slipped the clutch a little leraving, not spun much, and run 12's. High 12's.

Wait until the JWT dry NOS goes in, that is really going to be a challenge. My have to launch at 3k then, the NOS will be on at 2.2k. Should be hella on top though.

Guest bastaad525

whoa what happened there??? I totally missed whatever it was that anyone is getting upset over :(

Anyways!

back to launching... Lockjaw that's what I'm trying to 'perfect', I guess. Get the wheels spinning enough on launch to build boost and enough momentum to just go once they hook. I didn't get to mess around yesterday... too panicked over the engine again, not wanting to pull like that. What's funny is I swear it wasnt doing it before or not nearly as bad. Anyways I really want to try just revving it higher, like 4k, and dumping it, seeing if that will get up enough wheelspin. I'll try some more slip launches too but I really dont like the sound coming from the clutch when I do!! It's definately not slipping though, at least I figured that out :)

Jersey, I didnt mean to get you on the defensive. I didnt think you meant anything, but it is hard to read connotation on the Internet, this much I know.

And yes, I wonder why none of the turbo Z owners near Socal area could come out to physically help you out with some of your tuning.

I think there are a lot of them out in that direction, at least one could come to your aid and figure out the problem.

If you want to drive out to the Bay Area, Id be able to get the car running a little better, if it doesnt require new parts. If you cant even hit a nice 6k, it sounds more like connections than anything.

Guest bastaad525

still not sure what I missed....

as far as there being a lot of turbo 240 guys out here... I know there are, but I dont think very many of them chat here! Tim240z has helped me out in the past and has offered to help many more times that I've been able to take him up on. I'm actually kinda surprised he hasn't popped in on one of my 'problem' threads. Other than that, most of the guys I see chatting on this board dont live anywhere near here.

fl327, I'm in Northridge... about how far away are you? Off of what freeway(s)? I may be able to get over to you soon... sh*t at this point I think my mechanic has washed his hands of me and my car so any other outside help I can get is more than appreciated. The car is just sooooooo close right now and I know just a little more nudging... just one or two more things and it will be perfect.

Ah this is greats guys thanks. I am having the same problem 2.19sec 60 foot time on 225/45R17 BFG G-force Drag Radials. That are now toast in two weeks. :shock: boost = too much fun. :-D

So if my 14â€x7†ZX rims fit over my 240SX rear brakes I will try and stuff a 24.5 to 26 x 8 to 9.5 inch slick under my stock fender car, I do have coil overs so that should help make some room.

Thanks for all the tips so far

Guest bastaad525

yes boost is fun... even with the problems I'm having at least I've been able to experience that for myself :) Being able to consistenly spin the tires when I'm already rolling at 15mph is a blast... this is definately the fastest most powerful car I've ever owned.

Guest bastaad525

3rd!!! heheh I can get them to spin in 2nd at best, and that's if they get wet! Show off :) I'll be there soon don't worry.

Thanks for all the launch tips guys. Took her for a long drive again, man I'm going thru a lot of gas lately... well I tried revving it up to 3-3.5k rpms, then slipping the clutch out, not letting the revs go below 3k. What a difference, it pulls a lot harder out of the hole now, and as soon as boost hits full the tires really get to spinning. I'm in full boost before I even get to the other side of the intersection now. Oh and I paid really close attention this time, to see when boost hits full, 2.5k rpms, right where it should be right? It's so hard keeping an eye on boost and revs at the same time they are so far apart! So anyways... I definately like this method better than dumping, it feels much smoother, I'm sure it's hard on the clutch, but I know the ACT has put up with a lot already, with very little wear to show for it after 35k miles in my torquey built up N/A that it was in before this. But it doesn't feel like it will shred u-joints or anything. Anyways not like I'll be doing this from every light :twisted::twisted::twisted:

This car getting more fun by the day... oh and I think I've solved my other big problems, check the other thread for details.. .gotta stop double posting this stuff :)

Try taking the car out on long trips on the freeway and back, this gives the ecu time to really take into account air flow and set the pace.

Everytime I have reset the ecu, I take it a trip like this, and I have experienced the 4500 rpm brick wall right after resetting the ecu.

It goes away after a while, and the car begins to get really fun.

Maybe it could be that easy for you.

Sidenote: I really dont believe that you are close to me at all.

Im am in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I believe you are pretty far

South? Im not sure, but whenever I see a place in California that I dont know the name of, I assume its near LA.

Guest bastaad525
Im not sure, but whenever I see a place in California that I dont know the name of, I assume its near LA.

ROFL yep!!! I think part of that is due to the fact that every 5 mile section/town/whatever around here has a different name for itself! Seriously every time you drive 10 blocks you have to stop and ask someone what city you're in :)

And yes I'm very close to LA and yes you are WAY far like 4-5 hour drive.... well like 2 1/2 hour drive on the boost :twisted::twisted::twisted: ROFL

It's all good though man I think I got it worked out, take a look at my other thread. Just one more little problem to tackle, namely the sixth cylinder running super rich, and I think it's all done.

Question for you though, do the early ZXT ECU's have the ability to learn, as you are suggesting?? I know newer cars do this, but I thought our older efi systems did not have this capability? I thought they were pretty much 'hard wired' and their fuel/ignition maps more or less set in stone? I'll wait for my g/f to get home and see if I can't talk her into coming on a nice long freeway ride with me, if you really think this might help. Hey if it gives me an excuse to go for yet another drive I'm all for it!

Guest bastaad525

So... I gotta ask... as I haven't gotten any suckers.. err.. em... heheh well I haven't gotten anyone to try to race me yet, so I'm just wondering. Car weighed in at 2320lbs with the N/A motor in it, I know the turbo adds some weight, so factor that in, running 9.5psi of boost (will spike up just past 10 when it first hits)

What new (or newer) cars should I be able to keep pace with now? If I can launch right I should be able to take a Mustang GT right? How about the last of the Camaro/Firebirds? How about riced out Hondas DOH heheh I'm gonna get one a stamp made of one of the Honda H logos, and stamp the side of my car for every Honda I kill, the way WWII pilots kept track of theirs by putting little swastika stamps on their planes :)

Yes they will fit if you have coilovers - I'm not sure if you have stock springs in the back still. My DR's were 245/50/16 which where a little wider than the QTP's. Section width of the QTP's is 9.3" and the tread is 8.0". Should be lots for the Z. They are about $270 Cdn each.

Happy launching - Doug