HybridZ

Mega Squirt'n Spark L28et

mobythevan

Since I just ordered the boards and parts,

I got the MegaSquirt board, Relay board, and stimulator board. That cost $90.

The digikey parts for all three boards cost about $115.

Then I will have to buy an enclosure for the assembled MS board. Another $15.

So I think your looking about $220 for everything including shipping. Lucky for me there is a huge store near my work that sells all kinds of used and surplus electronic parts.

I'm getting more and more interested in Megasquirt especially if it can now control ignition. Just doing research now because I still need to get my downpipe and exhaust straight but I would like to see or hear about working examples on l28 turbos. Keep the updates coming :2thumbs:

The squirt'nspark code as far as I understand just lets you have a table for ignition timing. It does not use the knock sensor yet or have boost input for retarding timing. It is very basic, but hopefully it will support those features soon.

You'll have to make a custom cas wheel. Each cylinder window will have to be about 50deg's in length. And you'll have to adjust it to go high 5 degrees before max desired advance (360/6cylinders=60 degrees max advance)and go low 5 degrees btdc. (I've got 45deg as max advance in my z31ecu) This is to provide a 5deg starting advance when cold. Our cas already goes high when the window crosses the diode so all you have to do get a custom wheel. Then you have to deal with providing dwell for the coil. You may be better off with a N/A dizzy. I think it provides dwell in the ignition module but I have no idea what type of sensor is inside. Or use the N/A ignition module to provide dwell by externally mounting it. I have no idea what type of voltage or current it wants to see prior to firing the coil tho. I'm patiently waiting for someone to come up with solutions to these problems.

Bernard

Like you said, the goofy input signal is only used for starting the engine from what I understand. Once it is running above 600rpm, then you can use a short pulse like most sensors put out. So I may just build a little extra circuitry to condition the signal when cranking.

I am pretty sure I will use the MSD 6 with boost retard, that will also solve the problem with dwell.

Hopefully my pc boards will be in this week and I can get the unit together and tested this weekend, then start installation in the next couple weeks.

It does not use the knock sensor yet or have boost input for retarding timing.

I was wrong, the squirt'nspark lets you have a 2 dimensional table for timing that has RPM vs MAP signal. So this lets you change timing as the boost changes at a given rpm. Just wanted to correct that.

Our club race car project is back from the body shop, I'll post some pictures soon. It's a 20 footer for sure (that is, the paint job).

Anyway, I've had my MS built and ready to go in for a while. It'll be controlling a 10:1 NA L28 with stock ignition. At some point I'd like to control the timing from the MS. I assume you need to weld up the vacume advance in the distributor. I'll get it running good on the release code, and then possibly switch to the one with spark control.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...