HybridZ

Anyone for a new RB/z site?

mxs666

I dont know too much about web-hosting, but it seems like we could do a homepage, thread, oicture gallery and a search engine and we can set up an rb/z site, no?

if anyone is interested and knows how to do it i would certainly be interested, and while i have no known skills i would certainly be willing to help out in any way i could.

what do y'all think?????????????????

email me direct if you want to mxs666@att.net

I have thought about this a bunch and rejected it for several reasons.

First, I know you are familar with the issues this site has had with the RB section and just how many "newbies" and trolls it attracts. The RB swap is glamorous and many people dream about it. As such, many, many folks ask many, many questions about it, often - well, that has been covered recently.

If I created a "forum" or website,(there will be an extention of the Datsun Workshop when I am finished with my swap), I would moderate it like corner-carvers - which is not the best way to attract people to the swap.

But that non-withstanding,(my personal style), it requires a large devotion of time to get something like that up and running. It took me about 3 some odd years of work to get the Datsun Workshop to the state it is now,(content wise) - and I still want to do some revisions! If I knew I was going to be in flight school for another year, I might consider it. But I just reported to my operational squadron and we go on deployment in January.

In the end, hybridz offers just about everything we need for RB swaps right now. My plan for the Datsun workshop is to put together an extensive page as I did with the 3.1 stroker page that gives a step by step outline of what is required to make it work in your car. It will include the "stony" way, the Brad D way, and my way, and possibly some more. It will address the issues Stony, Brad and I continually bring up.

Right now, there is just not a resource like that out there. I expect to have it at least started and in a draft from on the web by Jan of next year.

As far as a RB forum, hybridz takes care of that and is more than adequate for now.

Just my take. :)

-Bob

i dont disagree with a lot of what you wrote, and i really have no experience on web hosting so i dont know what is involved.

i do know whoever, that when the rb section was set up on this site, i liked the fact that all the posts were rb related.

it seems to me that some of the problems encountered on the rb thread could have been avoided if there was a stickey or something like there is now that introduces "newbies" to the site and instructs them on the bacis of the swap and the use of the search engine. Personally, i always thought it was a mistake to "flame" newbies about their redundant questions. if members think they are redundant, i dont know why they even bother answering them.

i am getting ready to embark on a rb/350tt conversion (to complement my rb/240tt) and i am planning to put up a site to feature the conversion and document it. i know that rick wong is about to begin another masterpiece of his own, and i am going to talk to him about documenting his project also, so we could put up a good bit of quality content.

if there is anyone out there interested in working on this project let me know, i am sure we could use more imput.

later - Michael

Guest Fairlady Luvr

Hosting a message board is not something that is as easy as it sounds. I am a web designer so I see what goes on in the back end of sites like this. You can find cheap hosting and a free PHP board but you have to understand that you get what you pay for. To have a server that can hold a few years worth of posts, handle a ton of hits, searches, etc., as well as be reliable... you'll have to make a good investment.

You will also have to have someone who knows something about programming in PHP, ASP, Cold Fusion, etc. as well as maintianing a SQL or MySQL database. Not something the average Joe can do.

:wink: