HybridZ

Venting the 280Z vented hood--opinions?

Tim240z

I'm hoping that these will be a bit more effective than the plastic OEM ones. Haven't quite made up my mind whether I really like them, although they will 'set off' the car a bit since everything is shaved and the car will be a dark color, so it will need something to break up all the color.

Opinions? Too flashy, or just right?

BTW, I've buffed the aluminum, and will paint them with acrylic clear to preserve the luster.

vents3.jpg

The flash made them really, really shiny! :shock:

vents2.jpg

That's a bit better! :D

vents1.jpg

And the close up!

vents_closeup.jpg

Tim

whats up with the angle of the individual vanes? Not slamming them, curious.... I am sure you did them that way for a reason, and as this is something I need to do as well, I want some tech input on this. I am considering slightly more radical venting of the hood, with some sort of water barrier so it doesnt hit the wiring directly. Anyone have more pics, as well as tech behind venting techniques? = )

As far as my Opinion... I think they look radical, and depending on how you finish the car, should be left as they sit.

tannji

Actually, the vanes are at about 45*. The pictures make them look like they're almost 90* :?

I made them up this afternoon, out of aluminum plate.

Tannji,

The angle of the vanes just follow the angle of the OEM cutout in the hood. It looked kinda wrong with the plates lined up perpendicular to the hood line. Since this car will never see the rain, I'm not really worried about H2O getting in there, but I may put some 1/4' expanded steel mesh under the vents just close it off a little visually.

Tim

You are quite the craftsman! :D I kinda like them...I also think you should have them more angled down towards the hood, so that they are more flat. I also like the idea of putting some nice polish alluminum mesh under them. I think that would look great! :D

Oh and I still think your car is going to be red! LOL

Guy

Tim I must say you are a hell of a fabricator. No question of your patience and skill. That is a great piece. This is just my opinion- I think if you were shaving everything on the car that these might look kind of out of place although they are cool I like them and they look to be very functional. I think something sleek/low profile in this area would blend very welll with the rest of your car only because of the fact that everything else on your car is sleek/low profile'ish. just my 2 cents and I'm just being honest sorry :frown:

Oh and I still think your car is going to be red! LOL

Guy

I bet you don't do too well in Vegas! :D:lol:

Tim

Oh I see Tim your just trying to keep me quite because I picked the right color! :wink: :wink: We'll see when its done I guess! :D

Guy

Guest Zachb55

i like them, wanna make me some? lol, im thinkin of fabbing up something like that, still brainstorming on different ideas, but this has deffinately helped me out, thanks a lot for some inspiration! if i were gonna change it, i would maybe add a couple fins, and make them a little shorter on the outside for sure, im not sure on how far they go inward...

-zach

• 4 weeks later...

I did this back in May and didn't like it so I'm starting over, but basically the same idea as Tim's.

Mine is a street car so water is a concern, as well as thieves will small hands! On one site, I saw a Naca duct with a sliding bottom that effectively closed the duct. Maybe I could make mine do the same, hinge the angled vents to close like blinds?

http://www.v8zcar.com/sanmaruz/aerohood1.html

Owen