HybridZ

Alternator Upgrade Complete

Nismo280zEd

After countless times of my radio going on and off, my headlights dimming, and the wipers coming to a stop I couldn't take it anymore.

Then... my alternator went out.

Took me about 5 hrs to get this puppy done but it sure is worth it.

I installed a 1995 Maxima Alternator into my 1978 280z 2+2.

Evidently there is a difference between the SOHC and the DOHC alternators on the maxima.. i took the single which is rated for 125amp i believe. (max load on the tag said 178amps) Was 145$ plus a 110$ core charge.

Installation is rather easy for a custom modification. Prolly the hardest part is switching pullies, but after finding out how to do that it was rather simple. You do have to use a spacer on the shaft in order for the V-belt pully to not rub on the housing. I used some Bronze bushings and hollowed them out to fit.

After that you have to modify the tensioner, which i did using about a 5" long piece of anlge iron.

Another baracade you have to over come are the bolt holes. Evidently the OEM alternator for the 280z uses a smaller 10mm dia bolt and the Maxima alternator uses a larger 12mm bolt. I simply used some pipe ferings over the OEM bolts.. they fit rather nice, no play.

Then just wire her up!

Lights are brighter.. i can crank my system up till my ears pop, and run every electronic device in the car at the same time w/ no problem.

If anybody is interested i have some pictures i took.

Let me know,

-Ed

• 3 months later...

It's sitting in the garage right now... i'll look and see if there is a number stamped on it... otherwise I bought it at autozone for a 95 nissan maxima... there are two models i believe i bought the one with the most amperage rating. I believe the DOHC model has the more powerful one.

-Ed