HybridZ

I bought the 327 Z on Ebay!

Great looking car and it looks like a honey of a deal! 2thumbs.gif I am just starting on my 240 but one thing that has really helped me is using the search function on the forum. Hit search at the top of the page and look for different topics.

I am pretty sure that you can do a R200 swap and use your stock 240 drive shaft. I could be wrong but I seem to remember someone telling me that the R200 is longer than the R180 by the same amount as the set back difference. When you use the R200 mustach bar and brace everything should line up. Like I said, im not for sure about this you should do a search in the driveline forum for R200 swaps.

If yours is a 71 you will need a longer drive shaft. Just pick one up at a wrecking yard, no big deal. But this is a good thing. It makes a noticeable difference to get the rear driveline in the correct alignment.

The JTR manual spells out (with pictures) what you need. You need the pumpkin (the R200 itself), the R200 mustache bar, the longer driveshaft and the front differential cross piece. You can reuse the front differential mount (if it is still good), just turn it around front to back.

I don't remember doing anything with half shafts, pretty sure I reused the R180 shafts. Stub axels may be another deal. I think you need the stub axels from the R200. Either way pick up some new seals while you are doing the swap.

I also remember having to swap out the driveshaft yoke at the front of the diff. (I think I got a shaft from a turbo model, been some years ago so I am foggy on the details.) This goes a lot easier if you have an impact wrench, but wedging a long bar between two of the bolts and standing on the breaker bar attached to the nut works as well.

BTW, good deal on the car!! Saved some serious $$ this way.

DEAL!!! 2thumbs.gif Considering I have about 3k+ in my engine alone. Congrats. The R200 swap has been documented and serveral of the questions have already been answered so use the search. I just did the R200 on mine and it went with out a hitch just be sure to get ALL of the rearend parts from the doner car INCLUDING the driveshaft.

David

So you're the lucky guy that snatched the car before me cry2.gif . I was seriously considering buying the car too. If you didn't buy the car last night, I probably would have bought it today. Congrats on the purchase.

PS If you happen to change your mind about buying the car let me know 2thumbs.gif

Hello all, just wanted to let you know that I couldn't resist - the Z is quite a package for $3,900. It needs some basic interior/exterior polish, a radiator(ala JTR) and an R200 in place of the R180.

I have a couple of questions about the R200 swap - will I have to change the length of my driveline? This is a '71 so it has the 'old' forward-positioned diff setup, I don't know if this changes things in going to the R200.

Also, can I use my old R180 halfshafts? I just put new H.D. Spicers in mine and so I could keep them, unless there is a reason to go with the R200 halshafts due to strength or proper fit.

Here are some pics if you're interested.

'71 240z 327

Ebay ad

I can't wait to pick it up! 2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif

Thanks in advance for the help on my differential questions, I'm sure with help from hybridZ the rubber will meet the road without spitting a trail of pinion teeth.... cheers.gif

Heavy Z

Hey... u lucky sucker..hahaha

what are you going to do.. are you going to drive it from LA to Sacramento or trailer it? If your going to drive it why don't you stop by my Video Game store and show me the zcar... I was thinking of buying it myself but I already have 3 and my wife is starting to look at me weird twak.gif .. oh well. I'm in the Monterey area on your way home. www.72zcar.50megs.com/