HybridZ

Rear Camber Kit for '79-'83 ZX?

Does anyone have experience with the Motorsport rear camber kit for the '79-'83 ZX? The MSA ad says a 'hole saw kit' ($39.95) is required. I'm unclear how it works or how it is installed. The description of the front kit mentions a wrench but no wrench is mentioned for the rear kit. I thought I'd ask my questions here before calling them. Does anyone know if there is a better kit available? Here are the details from the MSA online catalog--there is a photo in the printed catalog but not online. I'm got my rear suspension arms off at the moment. Thanks!

Rear Camber Adjustment Kit #23-4178 $39.95

Hole Saw Kit (required) #60-9931 $39.95

Front Camber Adjustment Kit #23-4172 $69.95

Camber Kit Wrench (front) #23-4174 $ 6.95

I think this kit allows you to move the pivots on the trailing arm, allowing Porsche style adjustment of toe and camber. 510 guys slot the crossmember all the time, and this kit looks like it does the same thing.

I am also guessing, but I feel pretty confident when looking at the parts in the MSA catalog that I'm right.

Moving the top of the shock would have no effect on camber in this type of suspension, because it uses shocks and not struts, and they are just dampers, not locaters for the suspension. You have to move the pivots on the trailing arm to change camber and toe.

Jon

Hi Jon, the car does use a strut, so moving the "top" via a camber plate would change the camber as would moving the trailing arm. The camber is set based on the relative angle between the strut top and the trailing arm.

The MSA camber kits works by sloting the bushing middle hole and as such allows one to change the pivot points on the bushing end. the saw hole kit is to slot the bushings, the washers will hold it in place. This will give some adjustability for both camber and toe. This should work, however i don't know how durable it is or how good of a job it does at maintining any new angle that you may set.

The MSA guys claim that it works very well, so far my experience with them has been very good. I will hopefully purchase and install the kit later this year. Please post an update to provide some feedback on the kit if you end up using it.

Anyone else want to weigh in? I don't want to be disrespectful but I am convinced that I'm right. One guy I know runs old Camaro shocks in the rear of his 510. I've worked on 510s, and pulled parts from a 280ZX, but never actually done an alignment on either. Done lots of 911 alignments...

Also, I have a friend who is slotting his 510 crossmember in the next week or two. Anyone know if this kit works for the 510?

Jon

I'm so sorry and absolutely embarrassed, that was a big slip (I was picturing a different non ZX rear suspension set up in my easily confused mind), the ZX rear strut assembly clearly does not affect camber since it has a pivot point at the bottom... :oops:

Cody - What you've got pictured is for a 300ZX front upper control arm (I think) and it just lengthens and shortens the upper control arm to control camber.

The slot is where the bushing at the front of the control arm attaches to the subframe. You can lift the inner pivot for camber and use the eccentric they provide for the rear to control toe. Changing toe changes camber slightly, so you have to keep adjusting one, then the other, then the other, until it is right.

No prob Afshin, I've stuck my foot in my mouth a few times on this board too.

Jon

I was thinking that this was what you were talking about when you said "slotting." I have the engerguy suspension bushing but, have yet to install them. I may hold off until someone installs the Motorsport bushings and can report if they work or not. I really would like to do something with the lack of adjustment for the rear tires. As it is my tires are cambered in to much but, when at the track I'm sure it gets all messed up when I launch.

The Motorsport kit doesn't contain bushings. It is just a set of slotted washers and a set of eccentric washers. It would be a very good idea to do both at the same time, since you'll already have the semi-trailing arms off the car. The kit is only $40 + $40 if you don't already have the hole saw. I still don't understand how the washers attach to the subframe, but if it works it would enable you to fix the camber and toe problem. I say go for both and let us know how you like the kit. Worse case scenario the kit sucks and you return it to MSA.

Still no one knows if it works for 510s??? Bummer...

Jon

Guest LAYTON

i used the msa kit it f**ked up my car my zx drove way better with the 1.5 degree negg camber when i used the kit and had it aligned to not have camber it really drove like it was all (for lack of a better word ) Queer ........ i bought a new un altered x member and put it in it drove 50times better ,other parts were tokico luminas ,urathane bushings ,and sus tech springs and sway bars id say do this other stuff if you havent and dont wast your time with the x-member it might wear tires a lil but the neg camber from springs with the other hot rod parts will handle great for performance zx's like a lil neg camber anyway ,

layton.........