HybridZ

Another 7MGTE swap

Clifton

Finally got it on the ground last night. Took about a month. I used the 7M ecu, wiring, in tank fuel pump, intercooler(had to turn outlet), and stock down pipe connected to 3" tube. It runs but I still need to get the tach working. There's more pictures at the link at the bottom. Z+car&.dnm=7M+front.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

7mgte is out of the 87-92 toyota supra turbo. comes out of soarers in japan as well as older chasers, but in america, the mk3 supra.

I have several laying around personally, i just picked the lowest mileage best looking out of the pile, mine was gonna be rebuilt by us anyhow. Like i said in my other post, im a supra guy, i work mostly on top end imports, supras, rx7s, 300zxs, 3kgts, and a lot of wierd or hybrid cars. but anyway, i have lots of supra stuff laying around. everything i needed to modify what i have, including the turbo, was sitting on a shelf in my garage.

You done anything to yours?

No it's stock, well I port matched the exhaust side when I changed the exhaust manifold gasket but other than that it's stock. The 71' is my play car, I did this one for a daily driver.

"where do you 7m guys get your motors.. ?

was the wiring tough? "

I've bought 2 turbo Supras and 2 Z31 turbos (for the LSD's) at insuranse auctions to part out. I made enough to pay for the cars and keep 2 7M drivetrains and 2 R200 LSD's. I have another 7MGTE with ecu and trans with low miles that I plan on putting into my other 73' when I restore it. The wiring isn't that hard with the FSM. There is a web site that has it online. There is a seperate electrical section that is not online but is kinda needed as it has all the color codes. There are only a few wires that need to be hooked up to run.

Man I wish Z31's and Supras went through the Wisconsin insurance auctions my dad goes to IAA and ocassionaly Copart. Best that went through were a 91 NSX with 100k on the odo-- went for $12k, alot of 3kgts, i dont like them, and a 90' 300ztt that was swayed over about 15in. went for $3700. I wish some Z31's and Supras would go through cheap, but one hasnt even gone through yet. I wouldn't mind doing a 7m swap, but is there enough info on the wiring harness.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 240Zduz10s

was the clutch lines easy to do.. ? do the datsun lines thread right into the supra slave cyl.. or did you have to run custom lines from the master cylinder back..? also. what about shifter location.. is it pretty close..to the original position

man you guys are making me jealous.. ? :)

-J

I've been driving it alomst everyday. Runs great. I too did not go with power steering, it's no worse than witht he L motor. It's actually probably better as the motor sits so much further back. I might on the next one though as my wife would probably enjoy it more. I put a pic of the D side mount on my pic page. You can't really tell how it is made though. They are 3/16" plate, bolted to the Z rubber. The trans mount is probably harder just because you are on you back and you can't use the stock mount. I used the Supra trans mount and welded on brackets to the Z body. As majik16106 did I put it as low and as far back as I could. It's about 1/8" above the steering rack at it's closest and about 1/2-3/4" form the brake line bracket on the fire wall. I should of went back another 1/4" though as the motor mount and oil filter are pretty close. You will also need to "dog leg" the shifter to get it back further. I used the Z end so it looks stock. I have all the A/C. I just need to get custom lines made up before next summer. A/C is a necessity in Az. The clutch line bolted right up. It's on the D side so I re bent the line and welded a new tab. The speedo also bolted right in. I checked accuracy with my GPS. It reads 1.5 mph low between 60-65mph with 225/45-17's and a 3.70. My donor also had a 3.70 (pre 89 had a 3.90)

Guest Anonymous

Last year I modified an '87 and an '88 turbo Supra, so I found a few forums that were good resources for parts. If you're wanting engines, etc check out supraforums.com, i-supra.com, and supramainia.com. Another place that is a GREAT resource is car-part.com, which is the main site that salvage yards use.

Hope this helps a little.