HybridZ

Opinions.... Automatic tranny w/High Speed TQ or 5-speed?

Well.. I am absolutly going nuts, because I want my car to launch right off the line... but there are advantages and dis-advantages of my goal...

Other than getting an different Differential....

Would you Z owners, rather drive an automatic transmission with an high stall speed torque conveter with lock-up? (Lock up=during high rpm's the engine and transmission lock together for a "direct connection")

-or-

Would you Z owners just drive an 5-speed transmission?

*Here are my pros and cons...

naturally I plan on someday getting an L28eT.... so an automatic would be great, since my shifts would be faster, and the turbo would hold boost during the automatics shifts....

but with automatic transmissions, you can't launch the car at any RPM's you wish to smoke the tires, give it hard take-off, you cant DriFt :( (unless you know how to use the Low (1st) gear and e-brake) and when you want to show off your turbo and blow-off valve you have to put in it neutral... i dunno

5-speeds you can control what RPM's you want to launch the car with, what RPM's you want during shifts, you can burn out, you can DOWNSHIFT which would be an advantage, you can control drifts much easier....

But you have to use your feet, and they can get tired during traffic, and your hand is always on the shifter, so you have an disadvantage with 1 hand on the wheels... and shifts are slower... and you loose boost druing shifts.

What are everyone's opinions on this...

5-speed or

Automatic (comfort) with high speed torque conveter

Guest Blue02wrx

my friend has a 280 automatic that runs 11.9's but...he's been through 3 or 4 automatics...they slip like hell and he throws them away. he also has the stock converter. he usually services the tranny every other week if he drives it hard and has a lot of track time and uses a bottle a trickshift or lucas no-slip when he refills it. i would say that an stock automatic is good for high 12's-low 13's (your goal) but any faster and it may get aggravating keeping it together. oh yeah, he has absolutely no problem blowing the tires off. to control your rpm's on take off all you do is power brake it. he has pulled off a 1.57 60' time on BFG drag radials launching at 10 psi i think. it likes to move around and you have to practice or get a line lock. but anyways if you have any more questions email me and i can give you his phone # and you can ask all the questions you want about his tranny woes/praises

Tell your buddy I have modifications for the valve body that he can perform himself to help eliminate his problems. I have been 11.2@130 and 11.1@126 with the Jatco tranny. Although I had a problem last go round, it was from a bent tab on the 2nd gear band. The tranny is easily good for 10's with valve body mods and stock OEM clutches. BTW, the 11.2@130 and 11.1@126 were both with a 1.9 60ft so you can see it holds some good power.

oh yeah, he has absolutely no problem blowing the tires off. to control your rpm's on take off all you do is power brake it. he has pulled off a 1.57 60' time on BFG drag radials launching at 10 psi i think

How do you power-brake? Just hold the brake, and slam the gas? with my engine, and stock torque converter.... it will stall at 2,500 RPM and stay's there.. then I can take off...

but I have never gotten my tires to chirp or squeel, or peel out.. even on the lower gear, (1).

*then again I don't have my L28eT yet.. so maybe...

but I am leaning more towards an 5-speed.. i just think it'll be more fun... I do drive a sports car... so i dunno.. i just don't know

I took my car to the track this weekend and managed to run one 12.9 pass. I've had my tranny rebuilt and done the modifications as per 240z Turbo's modification info. While it does shift better it still slips between 2-3 when the tranny gets warm/hot. I'm also going to move the cooler to a better spot and try again. Smoking the tires is not a problem. This is with a heavy 83 2+2 turbo. I would not be afraid to use the auto for drag racing however for autox and road racing it's garbage IMO.

Bernardd, when I first modded my valve body it slipped badly on the 1-2 shift. Although I followed the instructions exactly I had this problem. My tranny guy suggested I swap valve bodies for a fresh one and try again. This fixed the problem and my car has been 11.16, 11.15 and 11.24. It has to be the valve body as my 2-3 shift is rock solid and the hardest hitting shift.

HUH? WHAT? :confused2: :confused2:

What exactly do you want to do with the car? Sounds like you have watched F&F a couple times too many.

Actually make it 3 people who don't understand. You by your own admission don't know what you want to do. Until you decide, then no one can really offer you a valid opinion about what is best, IMO.

Guest nikko74z

one of the cars has (had) a 4 speed, kept tearing it up when I would miss second. It held up for low 11's, but 1 miss shift and I was done for the night. My other Z sports a 3.1 running 14:1 compression sporting a chevy 350 turbo with a transbrake. Many mods to get this set up to work($$$). Now though, I am going to try an auto with some mods like 240Z Turbo suggested. With a little luck, my team and I will hit a 11 flat. That's the plan, but getting that 4 tenths is easier said than done. For the street though, I have enjoyed a 3.90 with the four speed and a 4.11 with the t-5.Good luck on your quest.