HybridZ

can this be done?

GabeRoc

can those little hoses on the ends of the injectors be replaced? i have an '81 n/a and today as i was checking my oil durring fill-up i noticed that i had a leak where the hose meets the fuel rail on 3 injectors. now if i were not a poor engineering college student, i'd just go buy 3 injectors, but as it is the cheapest i have found them for is arround $40 each. do you know how long i can eat of $120? let me tell you, ramen noodles are cheap.

i was going to try and find a place to replace the hoses, but i wanted to see if this can be done before i went door knocking.

as an aside, is there any reason to not buy the cheapest injectors i can find? i think advance was where i saw them cheapest.

thanks,

Gabe

cheap ones are gonna be rebuilt injectors of which i am not a fan off... i buy new injectors only i don't care what people say..

but you can go to a boat store and get some good fuel line to replace the hose with... but if the injector is so old the hose has cracked sounds like you need new ones anyway.

-Ed

if the injector is good than just replace the fuel line. It is an odd size, I can't remember the exact size of it but I couldn't find it autozone or kragen. I think that motorsport auto carries it. Also you will want to replace the hose clamps too. The job is more of a pain in the ass than anything else. Removing the fuel rail takes time and the job is a little messy. When I did it I did it 3 times cause I kept putting on the wrong size how that I would get for Kragen. Like i said it is an odd size. The 3rd and final time I did it i had the correct hose size and clamps and the whole job took less than 3 hours. Plus at that point I replaced all my injectors too. Anyway, good luck, the old hoses can be a pain to take off too. Mine turned into steel. They were so hard I had to use a knife and cut them off.

Have fun,

Kyle

Use 5/16" ID fuel injection (high pressure) fuel line and band style hose clamps. Do not use worm drive clamps, they will tear up the hose.

If you are cheap like me, start prowling the pull it yourself scrap yards. They will usually only charge $4-$7 each for injectors, and the good Nissan hose clamps come free!

There are instructions in the 280ZX Nissan service manual for replacing hoses. In fact Nissan reccomends replacing them if the injector is removed. All you need is some 5/16" fuel injection hose. I bought some here:

http://www.sherco-auto.com/hose.htm

They have the clamps too. I bought 10ft to replace all the high pressure fuel lines on the car.

When removing the rail, just cut the old hoses to make it easier (measure one for length first). Cut the remaining old hoses off the injectors. Cut new hoses, and install them by wetting the ends with a little fuel. Then just push them on the injector. Install the injector in the manifold with new seals. Push the fuel rail onto all six injectors at the same time (a little fuel works good here too). Clamp them and you ar done.

Hope this is helpfull.

Pete

Or you can go to a place that makes hydraulic hoses....

Ask for "push lock" hose 5/16 I'm assuming...

You don't have to use any clamps... the hose is good for 300 psi. Here is mine installed.

I'm pretty sure that the push-lock hose needs to be used with the push-lock barbed hose ends for the pressure rating to mean anything. the hose itself will probably still be fine, but I'd use the band-style hose clamps anyway.