HybridZ

Big Block headers finished...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

"I think I will build my own headers"

Probably one of my most regretable quotes ever. I Know now why they charge like $1000.00 to build custom headers. They are TOUGH! Anyway, they are now done after a week of fitting, welding, fitting, welding, and mor of the same. There is very little room for thru-chassis headers on a Big Block '83 280ZX with the stock frame rails in place, however the passenger side can be installed with only the spark plug wires off (plugs and mini starter in place). The drivers side require the steering shaft and oil filter removed and the engine lifted a couple of inches. Here they are in all their glory:

header1.jpg

header2.jpg

What weld process did you use to attach the primaries to the flange? and, did you weld from the head side of the flange?

I just recently watched an episode of Horsepower TV,where they showed what is involved in proffessional custom header fabrication. It was very interesting.

I too have done some header fabrication, but not near as extensively as you have. Great job :wink:

Nice piece of work!

BTW:

Even though I won't be trying to fit a BBC in a ZX any time soon, your page is a nice source of information. I'm a ZX fan myself and info on how to do crazy stuff with the ZX is scarce compared to the Z.

Guest Anonymous

Creation of the headers began with an old crusty set of Hooker Super Comps. All that is left of the original headers is the flanges and collectors! I did leave about an inch or two of tube coming from the flange to simplify the welding. The rest of the tubes are Hooker J-bends. Cutting the angles is challenging, and would be much simpler with a ten inch mitre saw with a carbide blade (I used a Sears skill saw with cut-off blade...awkward and NOT the best method! :evil: ). I would attempt it again, but only under extreme duress! :D

I will post pics soon of how the fit in the car...

Nice job. 2900 pound Z with a big block to boot. I tip my welding helmet to you!

Don't they have a frame inspection out there? How did you get around it. I might move to the island in the future. It would be nice if I could bring my car.

Cheers …:::Glenn

Great headers.

Vancouver Island doesnt have any inspection process. Though transferring your vehicle from Ontario to BC registration will require a inspection to get registered (though its only a mechanical and safety inspection. Vancouver, BC (Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD)) has a emissions testing but will never pop your hood just tail pipe test. I am interested in how he is gonna pass as well as the way they inspect your vehicle is the information they have on file. Interested to see how the standards for a 2.8L compare to BBC. Not sure how you could get a BBC to run cleaner then the L28. Keep us posted on progess.

WOW THOSE ARE NICE!!!!!!!!!! :hail::rockon::cheers::2thumbs:

How did you weld them?(TIG, MIG, Stick<yeah right!, Oxyacetalean(sp?)) You want to come over and make a set for my LT1 280ZX? LOL :D I am really tempted to make a set but I cant see stick welding those and thats all I have as far as a welder is concerned. If I could tack them in place I could have my step dad take them to work(hes and aircraft inspector for Air Wisconsin/United) and he could have one of his buddies TIG weld them up for me.

How much did it cost to make those?

Guy

Guest cbrunberg

Hey 80LT1,

Guess what I saw today at the Home Depot tool rental counter? Mig welders 8) . I don't know if they do it everywhere but if you could rent a mig welder..... :?:

Carl

Guest cbrunberg

I didn't check the price, but the nail gun I rented was $30 for 24 hrs and United Rents wanted $45. If they are consistent they should have a pretty good price. You might also check with your local welding supply, we have in the past rented extra machines for big jobs. They might not be too expensive there either.

Carl