HybridZ

difference between mikuni and cannon

Ivan280zt

Hey guys i am about to start my custom intake madifold for my turbo z and i was just wondering if there is any difference inbetween cannon madifold and mikuni one and also do both of those fit p90 head. i know that they dont have holes for fuel injectors but i would just like to know if bolt pattern is same for all heads. also is any of them more preffered sp? i really like james thagard's intake but i really want to built something by myself and plus i want to go with air horns and cannon intake will space runners enough to make them fit on there. any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks

Ivan

The Cannon runners are straight and longer than the Mikuni. The Mikuni runners are shorter with a kink in them. I spoke to a person named Steve at AEM about 10 years ago about them, and he referred to the Cannon "straight shot" having a 7-10 hp improvement on a tuned street NA motor vs. the "goose neck" Mikuni.

I heard else where that the Mikuni had superior linkage though.

As for bolt pattern to head, they are all the same.

Another thing that the Mikuni manifold does have going for it is clearance from the exhaust manifold. It puts the throttle bodies at least an inch higher than the cannon manifold. This can make a difference on a turbo setup as far as your ability to use a big turbo/plenum and your ability to fit heat shielding in between the manifolds.

Sorry James i knew about that i should have specified which intake i was

talking about and that was the ones that you are selling not your personal. my bad on that one :D . i really like the ones that you are making i saw it first handed when it arrived to jtaylors house and i was just amazed how nice it was and i was going to get one of them but i really want to learn how to make something bymyself and i belive that making custom intake is within my capabillities sp but its going to be time consuming. i am pretty confident with task like this but i will keep yall posted about progress.

Thanks

Ivan

the Mikuni manifold will fit on to your P-90 head, but keep in mind that there might be vacuum leak issues, marine tex or silicon gasket sealer may be in order to get a proper seal.

My understanding is that there is a progression from Cannon to what is now known as TWM. the manifold used by TWM are either the same or very simular.

I would suggest that you look at the Nissan Motorsport intake, it is shorter than the Cannon with straight runners and better linkage than Mikuni or Cannon.

Ron

I am not woried about linkage i will be using single cable opereated t/body. As far as Twm goes when i was looking at Tim's picture (of his twm individual t/body setup) they were using mikuni intake. I am not familliar with nissan mot. intake i havent seen any of them yet and cannon intake is much easier to obtain and they are usually reasonablly sp priced. today i was going through ebay and there i came across very simillar intake as cannon but it was made by HKS they both almost looked indentical and there is one more guy selling intake made by weber but it is made for L20.

Ivan

As far as Twm goes when i was looking at Tim's picture (of his twm individual t/body setup) they were using mikuni intake.

I'm using the TWM throttle bodies with a Mikuni manifold - it is not the manifold that you would get if you bought the TWM "kit".

Tim

what made you to switch to mikuni manifold? with twm manifold did you run into clerance problems with your intake plenum or was it something else?

Ivan

As I mentioned, the Mikuni manifold gives more vertical clearance, which allows much easier packaging for a big turbo as well as heatshield packaging and header clearance. Also, the shorter runners left much more room for a large plenum since the throttle bodies ended up farther from the strut towers.

If you look at the manifold it does have a noticeable bend in it, but it's cross section is so big that I can't imagine it being much of a problem.

Also, it didn't hurt that a friend gave me the manifold for free. :D