HybridZ

Soon to enter HONDA Hell...

Mikelly

As some of you may remember, My oldest stepson has been collecting parts for a honda B18 turbo build. I've taken the process as slowly as I could, steered him into some areas where he would be required to wait for long lead parts to come in, and allowed him to change direction a few times for the sake of eating more time. Now we are at the point where we can build the motor and start contemplating an install...

I must admitt, when this motor package is done it is gonna be very impressive. The little LS B18B1 motor has forged SR pistons, race prepped, shotpeened, polished and balanced, ARP bolted Rods, A complete rework to the head, adjustable cam gears, bigger injectors by AEM , fuel rail by AEM , regulator by AEM, and pump, ACT Flywheel & Clutch kit, GSR intake and TB, and a rework of the turbo kit as well.

Now we are looking at buying a T3 or T4 since Jeff messed up and got a work of art for his turbo manifild, but forgot he DOESN"T have a T3 or T4 turbo... We're using a TD25 from Mitsubishi! DOH!. We do have an SVO IC, a manual boost adjuster, a paxton FMU, and some really nice plumbing. We'll need to get the turbo and waste gate, as well as a BOV for the new turbo. I'm thinking about just keeping the setup we have and putting it on my civic. I've already got it, and we're pretty much stuck with it.

Anyway, I'm dragging feet on this project for two reasons:

A: I'm not a big turbo guy. Never done much work with them...

B: I'm concerned that although he is a good kid and has never gotten in to trouble, he may with this setup.

We're thinking he might make about 220HP at the crank with the current setup, but with a larger turbo and bigger intercooler like the T3-T4s require, that may change things... What do you guys think? I know a couple of you are into the honda thing... I'm trying to limit this build because I don't want him to get hurt, go to jail, or lose his license... One reason we didn't go forged on the rods was so I could keep the build lower... Those rods won't withstand high boost even with the prep work that Dave did to them! :D

Opinions?

Mike

How much boost do you plan to run? with a T3/T4, a nice intercooler, and 15lbs of boost I would think it would push 250+ hp fairly easily. I think with the whole safty thing your best bet is to keep him educated. As long as he takes it seriously, understands and respects its power then you should be ok. It will probally be his friends telling him to do the reverse donuts or to race everyone he sees at a stoplight that will get him in trouble. if you could drive it with him in it once its done and scare the crap out of him it might give him the respect for the car it deserves. Oh also his first speeding ticket will get him to drive more carfully. I know it did it for me.

If I were his dad..I'd keep him low on boost until he gets used to the car a little bit. A budy of mine has a 94 hatch that we put a Ls b18 in with a turbo kit. He's only curently running 12lbs of boost due to a guy selling him injectors that weren't as big as he claimed. Anyways, hes been to the track twice and the best so far is 12.4@115. The car has a much lower 12 in it with a little better traction. To me...this is a lot of power for a kid that hasn't slowly worked up to this kind of thing. If you start out low on boost, you can always go up a little. If you start out too high, it'll be hard to turn that knob back down. To me, 8lbs would be the limit on the street. But then again, my buddy is turning his up to 18 when he gets his new tranny (4th one he broke) and his new injectors, and this is his DAILY DRIVER. It'll turn an 11 in a heartbeat.

do this.... keep the rods you have but get the bigger turbo, fmic, and injectors and whatever else is need. TELL him you will blow the motor if you act stupid, and once you see that he is gonna respect that car and its power (i say more then 220+hp) then he can swap out the rods.

mike

Well, our first goal is to get the motor in sans turbo. The current D16 is making about 98 HP and a stock LS makes 140+. That alone is gonna be a big jump for him. He gets to drive that for at least a month before I'm gonna think about installing the turbo.

We've pretty much got everything to make this thing run a whole lot faster, but I'm keep it dialed down to 8PSI once the turbo goes in. Because the manual boost adjuster is gonna be mounted under the hood, I'm hoping it will deter him from dialing up more boost.

Mike 8)

I hate to say but I have worked with honda's alot. My last car that I just sold on ebay was a 1995 Acura integra gsr with JR supercharger 8psi and the car ran 12.7@114 on street tires this is with a stock engine. On the dyno the car made 235wh and 255wh with the exaust off. I had this same motor and Super charger in my 92 civic hb and that car ran 12.3@118. You can run fast with the stock motor just dyno tune it before you drive it.

the only real way to keep him out of trouble is to keep him educated as to proper driving techniques. that is what will get you killed no matter what HP your car produces. if you can make it cool and fun to learn how to drive a car properly you have won. i think everyone on this site has had a few learning experiences related to stupid mistakes with too much HP or speed ,and he probably will also, but if you can instill in him a healthy respect for his car i believe he will be less inclined to bow to peer pressure when driving.

the other thing, in my opinion, that will help is doing a lot of the work on the car himself. this will give him a sense of pride and accomplishment in this project. when you have a vested interest in your vehicle you tend to take care of it. i believe that the ricer crowd, in general, have this drive it like you stole it mentality because all they have to do is pay someone to make their car fast rather than invest any time, sweat and blood into their projects.

just my $0.02.

Mike,

You wanna save yourself some money and hassle bailing this kid out of jail in the near future? How about a nice bonding experience for the two of you? How about a nice vacation away from work and the pressures that go with it? I say look into some racing schools where you and the kid can have a good time, learn about driving a car, and where and when to do it. Nothing teaches you respect for a vehicle like a driving school. First it isn't you telling him to respect the machine, it is a proffesional driver tellling him. It also will give him the skills to handle the kind of power and speed your talking about. It may look expensive at first, but the value will show itself when the kid (and you) comes out a much better driver with the knowledge to drive this car. Good Luck. :)

I am well aware of the values of driving schools. I've been to more than I care to think about (More than 30 events under the belt, not including all the Government training...)! :D

I'm gonna be footing the bill for any of this stuff since I can't get his REAL father to help us with college expenses.

I've already started steering him towards the whole NASA/ Carguys stuff. I just don't think he is that interested... His buddies wouldn't be there to "SEE" him. Peer presure will be an issue for him. However, He is 19, it is his money, and if he gets in trouble, there won't be much I can do for him. He still lives with his father, so I'm just lending some mechanical help and shop space at this point. We'll have to see how it goes.

Mike 8)

Mike, My buddy just put the B16A head on his stock B18B1. That thing is freakin quick. Remember it is a 1900lb CRX Si. A local Honda Tuner claims 180whp with that currant combination. He has Skunk2 cams and pullies and a Greddy header, plus some other odds and ends. I built him 2" mandrel bent exhaust last winter. It made 130whp with the stock(more or less) LS B18 and my exhuast. Before the new head, I could still SPANK him in my mostly stock '71 240Z.

Honestly, traction is pretty much non-existant as it is. Your boy should be fine with the built engine in a Civic. Spinning tires only gets you reckless driving tickets(ask me how I know). Speed is what gets these kids hurt.