HybridZ

Track time tonight..weather permitting! Hints/tips/tricks???

Jersey

Cross your fingers that i don't blow her up tonight! haha. Hope to beat my 12.88. Wish i had a way to trick the ECCS into running richer at WOT but i think at WOT, the ECCS system goes back into the open loop mode and ignores sensor readings. I was thinking maybe i could jump the HTS out with a resistor that tells the ECCS that it's cold and to pulse the injectors a little longer but again, i don't think that would have any effect if in open loop. Walboro 255lph pump and i can't get enough fuel...go figure. I know i should invest in a RRFPR but, i'm running tonight. Any tips/suggestions/hints?

Guest bastaad525

you can do like I did to get rid of a little ping I had... if you're only going to do it at the track it may work for you. put a clamp on the fuel return hose. everyone here confirmed that this will indeed raise the fuel pressure at the injectors and give you a little richer mixture across the board. it's not the most consistent way to do it, and if you were to just put it on there permanently you would eventually damage your fuel pump, but I dont think it'd harm anything for a run or two.

Man, running that fast, I'd never ghetto the FPR like that, hoping to get more fuel at WOT. More than likely it'd run like crap until you get to the top of the RPM band before you made any power. It's torque under the curve that gets you good time, not max power at redline. Personally I'd get a good adjustable FPR and hit the dyno, keeping a good eye on the A/F, and adjust it right. A new engine may not run much (I got my current engine for $150), but it sure will ruin your night and weekend having to swap in a new motor wondering what went wrong.

And if you are pinging a little bit at the top end right now, just add 5 gallons of race gas, lower the boost a pound or so, and just have fun. Wait until you get solid data on what's happening in your fuel system before trying to set new records.

Of course, you are the one running 12's and here I am still in the 13's, so I'll shut up now. :(

Guest bastaad525

yeah I didn't end up leaving mine like that for very long. I clamped it down pretty tight though and went for a drive, the car didn't run any worse that I noticed, though the idle did dip down a bit (it jumped right back up when I took the clamp off). It's the cheapest way I know to get some extra fuel temporarily. True though it is going to affect your whole curve, and wouldn't be worth losing power over your whole band to gain some top end.

And he does have one good point... you're running super fast as it is why mess with it :shock:

Thanks guys. Just got back from the track. No good. Couldn't pull anything better than a 13.12. Traction was horrible and everyone complianed the same, so it just wasn't me. Could not for the life of me get better than a 2.0 60ft. It seemed like they didn't even take care of the track...just wanted to keep everyone running round robin as quickly as possible without taking 10 seconds to clean up the holeshot area. Oh well. Maybe i should just hang the hat and be happy with the 12.8. No reason to go back if i'm going to be slower, right? Car did run good though. At the end of the night, I did try 1 gallon of 104 octane mixed with about the 3 gallons of 93 i had in the tank but i just couldn't hook up right. Thanks for the fuel pressure thoughts. I didn't do anything with it. I did unhook the O2 for a few runs to see how she'd run...sameysame. Open loop, just a little richer down low. I did have fun sleeper and that's what it's all about. Car made it home in one piece and i'll be able to take her our for a sunday cruise 8) Thanks guys. 525 - don't sell you Z :wink:

Good to hear that I wasn't the only one who had a rough night at the track. Off the street I ran a 12.83 at 111.9 on 17" street tires with a 2.13 60' time. 14 psi boost. Only had two runs all night - a huge number of cars out. Second run was a real mess - tried to launch a little harder, blew away the tires out of the hole, bounced off the rev limiter. Went for 2nd, broke the shift knob in half, missed third 'cause I was busy getting rid of the broken knob in my hand. :oops: Timeslip - 14.15@ 107.6. with a 2.5 60' time. Smokin :roll: But I did drive it home so it wasn't that bad a night.

Ditto the track prep - Test and Tune nights suck because of lots of breakage and junk on the track. I've got to say Jersey - even at 13.12 you're running impressive times for stock ECCS and turbo. I had to hook up SDS to run in the 12's. I think an adjustable FPR is the next step for your car to tune it in a bit but honestly I think you're doing incredible now. :D

Cheers -Doug

Nice run Doug! Sorry to hear you only ran twice and had the same track conditions. I forgot mention, i did get my mph up from 105 with the 12.88 to 110..even though i ran a slower ET. I can't believe you broke the shift knob! :twisted: Glad you got her home. I missed 2nd on one of the runs and i was so pissed because, i thought, i FINALLY got a good launch and now i missed 2nd?!?!?!! i think i almost blew every synchro in the T5 by the way i rammed it into second after i missed it on that run. Like it was the trans's fault! haha. I ran about 8 times tonight and was taking breaks. I would have liked better track conditions and only got 5 runs in but, so be it i guess. Take what you can, right? Thanks for the nice words. Appreciate it. Just trying to get the most out of what i can afford right now. Little by little. Yeah, i don't know what would be the next best investment for my Z right now but i WAS thinking since i do have the hi-pressure pump in there, maybe the next step SHOLD be a adjustable FPR like you advised. Do you have a suggestion on which one is good? Then again...i'm not sure i can cycle those stock injectors any more than i am right now. I'm definetly leaning out, that's for sure. Thanks again and congrats on at least one nice run. Get 'em next time...

Jersey, 110?! That is some serious mph. This year is a wash for me. I'm just trying to get the yellow car ready for the convention. TEC is giving me problems. And Sleeper, you might still be in the 13's but your doing it a mile up! Bring that thing down here and your in the 12's.

Yeah Jersey - It surprised me also. I was one of those leather-covered wood knobs from the early 80's. Broke the wood right in half. Now there is just a steel insert on the shifter. About 15 years ago I got a bunch of stitches in my knuckles after ramming my fist into the climate controls. I sheared off the roll pin on the shift fork going into 3rd. Now I rivet those with steel rivets. :D . It proves that I'm getting older, but not any smarter :twisted: As for the adjustable FPR - I know that there are decent ones around that are reasonably priced. Check out the MSD P/N 2222. I think that Summit has them for around $60. I think that it adjusts to 45 PSI. Don't know if that is enough for you. I'm running a Hyundai fixed pressure one on mine. Laugh if you will but it fit the end of my fuel rail and it runs at 48 psi. Best of all -$10 at the JY. I bought 2 just in case. Got to hand it to SDS for that little tip.:-D

Ha. yep, same here. 35 yeas old and still some things never change from 17 years ago. First Z i had when i was 19-20 years old, '77 280, I snapped the output main shaft on the 280b trans while trying to impress a bunch of people (girls), dropping the clutch real hard. After that, fist met dash and made a nice crack in the perfect dash. Ya figure, live and learn but, some things never change. I know there's a bunch of info in the archives and all around the net about adjustable FPR's and RRFPR's, i just haven't dug into exactly which one i should use with the forced indution motor. The one you mention sounds like it would adjust static pressure at idle which in turn would increase by that many pounds throughout the entire range. I thought i would need a RRFPR so the pressure at idle up to zero manifold pressure would be the same, then, when boost hits creating positive manifold pressure, a RRFPR would increase the pressure on the return line linear to the amount of boost you push? Maybe i'm completely wrong on this because i haven't done much reseach on it so please excuse my ignorance. Thanks. One day, i'll really need to bite the bullet (and beg the wife :lol: ) to go with an SDS or something similar. I think i'm nearing the limit of pushing the stock components. Hey, I'm all for JY deals that work. I'm way past the point of needing to say i have the best of the best and have a label on everything. If it works, i'll use it. The pockets thin a bit after marriage, 2 kids and a house! haha.

those are some nice times jersey to bad we couldn't hook up when we visited ragz :) Those are impressive times for the stock injs, I have the stock efi system too but i run 420cc injs in mine and i have the afm wound so tight it's ready to break.My best quarter to date is 12.86@109mph and my best trap speed was 110 with a 13.06 quarter time this last time at the track.I have major traction issues and run the stock nissan tranny, holds very well.I have to get some drag radials for the back so i can keep the tires from spinning.Ragz rode in it and knows how easy it spins the tires just by the turbo spooling up :D When i took him for a ride it was running with a bum #1 piston only have 40psi of compression.I'd say upgrade to the 370cc injs and you'll be all set with your stock fpr.Or you can take to ragz and get an adjustable like the one he let me use have to ask him fopr a price tho works great.

Rags and i still need to hook up. Soon. Trying to get him to get to the track with me but, excuses..excuses :D j/k Joe if you read this. I wish i was around when you came out. I would have definetly met up. Another road trip in the workings? :lol: Thanks. Those are some sweet #'s yourself! So, you're able to twist that AFM enough to run the 420cc's and not choke her to death down low? If you think i can get her to run right throughout the RPM range with the 370's and by cranking on the spring a bit, that's the direction i'll go in. I was having the same traction issues. Mostly due to track prep (and 16psi :twisted:) but a set of slicks would have DEFINETLY helped! Our Z's are damn close in 1/4 mile times, it would be awesome to run side by side. Let me know if your ever around again. We'll hook up.

Rags...calling Rags....winter's coming...not much track time left :D If you need a hand down there, let me know. Can't wait to see one of those sweet looking Z's tear it up.

I hear ya man! Are ready for the latest excuse? I built a stroker motor for a friend of mine and it lasted a whole, are ya ready for this? two weeks. Spent three hours last night pulling the motor and tearing it down to find out it was MY FAULT!!! Now I have to scramble to put together another one for him before the convention. Anyone have a spare F54 lying around that is within a two hour drive of me? :D (only half kidding)

Joe

LOL joe your right about the tires they are street tires bald but they are street tires.I have new ones now and i'm gonna get some dr's then i'll see how she goes.The piston came in for my car so i have to put that in soon. I ran that last time of 13.06@110 with one bum piston. :D I'd love to get to the track with you guys, joe is a busy guy if he can't even drive his z's. :wink: The afm can be wound to hold the 370's and it will run nice thru out the whole rpm band cuz i'm getting mine to run fine with the 420's.BBZ is running those injs too and his runs very well i ran a 12.98@105mph with those injs and 18psi of boost a few years ago.Stock fuel pressure and stock dp all i did was add the injs and turn the boost up using a volvo ic.I have to put my 280 on a diet dang it :)

scottie what turbo are you running for these times?

also do all of you have internaly stock motors?

im getting my motor done now with:

Microtech EMS (maybe Haltech though)

Full 3in exhaust.

55lb injectors.

o-ring fuel rail.

Major port work done to the motor.

T04E turbo (dont no the specs to the tee, ill post back on this)

Custom FMIC (26x12x3)

2.5in intercooler piping.

60mm t-body.

Blitz SBC i-D and Pwermeter i-D (so i can run lower boost in 1st gear and lower boost at the begining of 2nd)

i might be missing a few things but still.

im hoping that once i get the rear end in i should be in the low 12's, even on my reg tires i think ill hook up ok....275-40-ZR17 sticky Yokahamas...

any thoughts?

mike

i have a t3/t4e hybrid with a .70a/r on the compressor stock turbine wheel clipped.The compressor wheel is a 60-1 i love the way it spools quick and hard hitting.Mine is totally stock internally i plan to see how much the stock internals can take before i blow it up and make a nice engine :D So far i am making over 300rwhp according to my times and mph in the quarter.I have a 65mm tb.2.5"mandrel bent ic piping scottie's 2.5"ss dp then that goes to 3" all the way to the back with a magnaflow zero back pressure muffler.the intake and head are both mildly ported by me and i plan to do some more really soon but this time to the exhaust side.I have a blitz bov,adjustable fpr(it's ragz's),custom fuel rail,mercedes 420cc injs(from tony fruzza),made my own cold air tube to the afm with a k&n filter out front.I have a spearco ic(from timz) the top ic tube is from tim also.All this on the restricing stock eccs system :( the only down fall is that stock system and it's just the afm that really restricts the system.I have a racing clutch and flywheel (from timz)cv half shafts in the back(cv adapters from andy bailey),Open 3.54 diff in back and nissan tranny.I think that's about it can't think of anything else i have done to it.I run 205-55-16's on the back but i use to have 225-50-16's.I plan to get a 225-45-16 for the back and use my others on the front or just burn the ones i have off :)I have alot of stuff from other people but i guess i know it's well tested :D