HybridZ

SHARP v8 sound

jonzer12

I am not sure how to describe this exactly but the other day I had to cross the street to get the parking lot where my car was and this 5.0

(late 80's early 90's) mustang pulled up to the light, it had the best exhaust sound I have ever heard, and I have heard hundreds of v8 cars.

I live in a truck town where everybody has a late model with dual exhaust and well they sound nice, they have the really flat, blunt v8 rumble. This mustang had a sharp, crisp exhuast note, it was incredible.

I hope someone understands what I am talking about, and my question is does anyone know how to get a sharp, raspy note to a v8 exhaust?

5.0's are known for their sweet exhaust note. When the stock exhaust is opened up with aggressive mufflers and an offroad H-pipe...they do bark! Even with the engine being stock through a free flowing system...FI 302's have that trademark deep growl to wicked snarl sound when on the gas through the rev range. Chances are he had the H-pipe, no cats and a flowmaster American thunder system under it if it really BARKED when he got on it...

edit: also, the 302's being a small displacement engine that revs freely (compared to other V8s)....just the fact that they build revs so quickly makes for a "sharp" sound. Trucks are kind of mono tone because of their effective RPM operating range. They normally shift around 3500 unless you have it floored. So, 1500-3500 doesnt allow for much frequency shift in the exhaust note. Now a HO 302 5spd that idles 800, eases off the line at 2000 and shifts at 5000+ (or well over 6000 if they are on it) gives both a broader spread of RPMs ..and SOUND

:D

take care

Jason

Jonzer, it has to do with the cams and the exhaust: FLOWMASTER. I am 99% sure that is what you were hearing. Unlike you, I don't care much for the sound (to each his own to be sure--no worries there), but there are hundreds who enjoy it very much :D

I'm not sure if they are the 2 or 3 chamber design, but I am 99% they are Flows. Next time you hear a Mustang with that sound, ask if he or she is running them.

Davy

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Flowmasters can actually be more likely to take the crispness out of the exhaust note. The fact that they are high flow helps, but wouldnt be my choice for crispness. You probably would have seen upon inspection that the tips were relatively small. The tips make a big difference in exhaust sound. A set of good flowing mufflers with some pretty small diameter tailpipes will help get that crisp sound. (Just make sure you dont go too small or you will start choking your power)

My son's 90 Mustang has one of the nicest sounds I have ever heard. He has a built 302, full length headers into Flowtech X-pipe, into Flowmaster Mufflers into full length 2 1/2" stainless tailpipes.

I'll have to say, though, that the nicest sounding exhaust note I have ever heard is my friends 347SBF powered Superformance Cobra replica. Those sidepipes are awsome! :shock::D

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

It's not childish at all. That is almost my entire driving force for any of my engine plans on any of my projects. I also have a concept design for an exhaust system insert that I will be developing that should prove to have a very crispy, extremely defined note. :twisted:

For my Z I will have a SBC and either side pipes (with a concealed smaller inner piping towards the ends) or dual exhaust with a set of strait-through mufflers somehow fit further inboard with longer, narrower tail-pipes.

Another thing you can do is go to http://www.mustangexhaust.com and listen to the various setups. This site has the exhaust system particulars listed and you can download the sound to hear what it sounds like. I am having this delemna as well. My Ford swap should be running weekend with only the exhaust left to do. It seems that I will only be able to run the headers into a Y pipe and then through one muffler but I would love to fit a nice H or X pipe to mufflers under the car without moving the gas tank.

Josh

Guest tom sixbey

Compression Compression Compression. - this makes a huge difference in the sound. Cylinder head design also make a big difference. My friend's GT sounds entirely different with the gt40x heads than it did with stock heads on the same setup. of course you're getting into some money here...

That makes sense, more compression = more exhaust per cycle = higher rate of pressure change = more bark. Thanks for the great info, this site is making me nuts to get started on the build. The minute the snow is gone in the spring I am flying down to nevada/arizona to pick up a car. I will push it all the way back to Canada if I have to to!

The only problem I have with this site is that so many of you have done such different and great things and there is so much information that one can really get pulled in different directions. So many choices out there! I have put a hold on buying a more parts until the car is in the garage, I am already thinking about selling some of the stuff I bought.

Guest tom sixbey

do yourself a favor and give yourself some time... -its easy to get too hot for a car and build something that you will not be satisfied with later... - i've been reading and posting on v8 swaps since before this board was put up, and i'm JUST now making up my mind on what is right for my cars. It took me a while for my tastes to mature, but i'm REALLY glad that i didnt do any major modifications based on my previous ideas... - as you said - there is a LOT of stuff out there for these cars, so be sure to take some time to look through it all 1st... thats just my 2 cents worth... - have fun with the project!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree - Compression. Cam as well. More exhaust duration, later exh closing will add to the bark.

I heard a 421 SBC in a 68 Camaro today. The owner claims it should run 9.50s in the 1/4. All motor, no NOS, etc. He claims 14.5:1 compression. Idles at 2500 rpm. Now that thing barks! The compression can be heard in the exhaust note.