HybridZ

280ZX Suspension options

Guest polarity

Guest polarity

Ok guys, I've done a search. I haven't seen much info on 280ZX suspension options.

If anyone could tell me the setup they used and where they got it. Are you happy with it. If possible approximate cost would be nice to.

One thing I've been reading about is the coil overs or not. I'm curious. I have no idea what size rim/tire I will put on this car would it be wise to purchase the rims I want and get a tire size and then deal with suspension? Or would it be ok to go ahead and order new struts/springs and what not.. thanks for the info

Billy

Guest greimann

I have been using the Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustables and Eibach Pro progressive coils. The best part about them is they control the rear end squat problem, especially behind a V8. The Illuminas are not available anymore so another performance shock will have to do. I got the struts from here: http://www.autocarparts.com/ And the springs from Motorsport.

Unlike the first generation cars, the ZX series does not need coilovers up front to clear wide tires and wheels. The spring perch is above the tire and the limiting factor on tire width is the strut tube itself. I have 235's up front on a stock strut.

Guest das280zx

You can still get illuminas for the front, but not for long. I got mine from this guy off ebay called jdmwerks. Just type tokico illumina in and you will find his ads, then email him about getting some for a 280zx. I have not installed them yet, but will soon. I also have the eiback springs. They did improve the handling a great deal, but I advise replacing the struts at the same time. I did not, and it still doesn't handle all that great. Greimann, what else have you done as far as suspension goes. Do you have bigger sway bars, and/or poly bushings? I don't know about the poly bushings, but I think I will definately get the sway bars in the future. But we'll see how the illuminas help out the performance first. I am trying to autocross my z, and so far I haven't had much success. I would have thought it was just me, but I did much better in my dad's specV sentra, so i know the car has a little bit to do with it!

I'm using non-adjustable tokico's with eibach's and they completely transformed the handling on the car from sloppy to fantastic. 16 or 17" rims with good rubber also have a great impact on both handling and an amazing amount on the steering feel (more than most would expect for power steering models).

Also plan on changing (pain in the ass) the control arm bushings...

The bushings on the rear semi-trailing arm take a lot of load and distort significantly causing much unwanted play, rear toe change...

I'm using 225/45/17 (with some room left). Coil over are always great, depending on what you plan to do with the car and your budget it may or may not be worth it (i.e. new bushings are much more important than coil over as well as larger rims/tires..)

I running the Motorsport Auto spring with the Tokicos for shocks and struts. I also put on polyurethane bushings on the swaybars and this is a big bang for the bucks on these cars. Like Afshin said I'm also going to change out the rear control arm bushing but, haven't gotten around to it yet, I even have the parts sitting in the garage. Rims and tires are 235/40/17 and 245/45/17 the larger rims and tires really helped the handling of the car also.

Cody,

What rims are you running? Are you still on the stock ZX 4 stud bolt pattern? I'd like to go to some larger rims on my 82 but I'm having trouble finding larger wheels in the 4 bolt pattern.

My rims are actually for a Honda Prelude and are still 4 bolt hole rims. The brand is Chormadora and were made in Italy. I'm told the are NLA so I hope nothing happens to these. What most people do instead of spending big bucks on custom made rims with the correct offset they run spacers or adapters to change the offset requirement. My adapters are 1.5" think and they bolt to the hub and then the rim bolts to the adapters. I bought them here http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/default.php e-mail Ross for any questions he is very helpful and has excellent service. Centerline has a few rims that are 17x7 that have come out in the last year and look pretty good on a ZX also plus they are the right offset so no need for adapters.

Guest tom sixbey

:shock: whoever it was that said "changing out the control arm bushings is a pain" is right on the money... I've completely destroyed those bushings, but they still wont come out.. - i'm going to have them pressed out by a machine shop later this week!

greimann - i can't believe you're selling your car!

Guest das280zx

For sure getting the rear control arm bushings out is a pain! I too am gonna have to go to a machine shop! I think I'm gonna use new stock bushings though. I don't really see how much difference the poly ones can make. Plus I have heard they are kind of annoying because they squeek all the time, and that they don't last long, but this is just hearsay. If you want bigger wheels, on option is the Kosei K1's in 16x7.5 witha +13mm offset. This is what I bought. I did have to have ross make me some 8mm spacers for the front, and I had to swap out the lugs for ones from a quest, but it wasn't all that hard. In the back they fit fine. Here's a pic:

w_kosei3.jpg

I like how they look, maybe a little too modern, but way better than the muscle-car esque center-lines or cragars or whatever.

• 1 year later...
Guest Domspun

Sorry to ressucitate this thread, but I'm still confused about my 280zx 2+2 supension options. Can I put Eibach or Suspension Techniques on my Z even if they say it's only for the 2-seater? I don't see how the 2-seater springs can't fit a 2+2??

if you try to press out your 20 year old bushings your going to have a very bad day. the easyest way to get them out is to use a small tourch to melt the rubber (very stinky toxic fumes so wear a mask) take a chisel and tap out the outer sleeve. you can even use a jigsaw with the right blade to cut through the sleeve to help loosen it up. takes about 15 minutes.

Guest Domspun
I would imagine there's greater weight on the back of the 2+2, and so 2-seater springs may not be optimized to handle/balance it. So maybe it might fit but not handle that great.

I know for the spring rate of the stock coils, but what about Eibach and Suspension Techniques? Thay all say "2-seater only"! What can I use for my 2+2?? is there any parts that I can swap from a Z31?

I know for the spring rate of the stock coils, but what about Eibach and Suspension Techniques? Thay all say "2-seater only"! What can I use for my 2+2?? is there any parts that I can swap from a Z31?

Try Motorsport Auto. They have springs to fit the 2+2 no proublem.

Heres the link

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT

• 2 years later...