HybridZ

burned out mechanic-looking to start doing something else

randy 77zt

my boat is for sale.got 2 guys that want it -hopefully a deal will go down.z sits in driveway gathering dust.i have made in 9 months what i made all last year.thanks to the flat rate pay system i have money but my body hurts bad.while the guy that owns the car dealership that i work for plays lots of golf at his new $3m house .rumor has it that its paid for.any suggestions?hoping to move to a state that is z friendly.will get another boat when my accountant tells me i need a tax writeoff.thinking of selling my house in ca(its paid for) and buying some commercial real estate out of ca.will be keeping a low profile for awhile.i will miss my 100+ mph 18' boat though.speed with no tickits.is rural arizona smog friendly?

Most dealer owners didnt get their start yesturday.

Most of them have been around for decades-then they sell to someone else who comes along and the dealer name changes: still the building, customer base, and business contacts have been there forever...so dont get to down on yourself just because your boss plays golf during business hours & you dont. Instead, use that as motivation to take the next step.

If I were going to change jobs, do a complete 180, I would have to jump both feet into the Computer IT world. Seems the business world cant get enough "Competent" computer tech's: emphasis on the word competent.

I'm not that computer literate-but if I was tired of busting my knuckles and the rest of my body, the computer field is where I would go.

FWIW: if you are not computer lit either-there is going to be a lot of reading before you are brought up to speed: and then there will be a time period where you pay your dues. Atleast during this time period you will be in an office and not under a greasy, cold, & sometimes hot car. Yet, once you have passed this time of "paying your dues" and grasped the basics-you can pretty much go where you want to go-and afford your car/boat hobby at the same time.

If you choose to go this route a great place to start would be to locate a company that offers a computer 1-800 help line to softwhare/hardware that people buy off the shelf. You dont really have to know much to get a job at one of these places-as their manuals will direct your answers based on the customer complaints. This way you mind gets engrained with the diagnostics involved between computer moniter, hard drives, fax's, motems & phone lines. Diagnostics is where most "Competent" tech's fail. Work there while you are working on your Microsoft Certification: this way you get the training on/off hours.

My only experience w/this filed is that my brother is a Microsoft certified IT Tech...once he got his certification his pay doubled over night: simply because his certification now put him in demand.

You know the ole saying-nothing will change until something changes: because it is your life the decision when and what to change is always yours.

Good luck & hope this .02c's of mine meant something.

Kevin,

Kevin, call me Gabe. The JKD stems from my email address which I use for students/training partners in martial arts. No big deal...

Oh man! It's been a couple of years... basically he says he had two dads. A metaphor obviously, but his real dad was always living on the edge while his best friend's dad was VERY wealthy. He asked him to teach him how to be wealthy. And he did... the biggest thing I learned from it was that things like the house you live in and your boat etc aren't assets. They're liabilities. ANYTHING that you spend money on is. Anything that brings money in is an asset.

On the subject of good books about money I'd actually suggest "The richest man in Babylon" first.

why not go back to school?

Sell what you can and get out of cali, the cost of living there is insane. once you sell your things you will feel like a rich man if you move to a less costly area.

If you sell off your house and boat, you might have enough to go back to school and pursue whatever degree you want, all the while living off your savings. this doesnt sound like a great life, pinching ever penny, but in the end you will feel better about yourself, and have gotten something out of it. (and your never too old to go back to school. )

I was a mechanic for a while, it was a great place too, nothing but vintage race cars and a trip to races everyweek, but it got old.....just like everything does, but you realise that that job not only gets old, but it gets you knowhere very fast.

the I went into the culinary arts, been doing it for three years. I moved up very fast and had lots of potential....until i hit the corp. brick wall. you realise about the only way to get ahead is to open the door yourself. thats basically what "rich dad poor dad" goes into. Its well worth the read.

Now, im back in school, seeking my business IT degree with a minor in japanese. (although everyday I sway between that and chinese) either way I know that thats finally the start of a career, and not just a JOB.

its also something that will enable me to open my own business, im not tying to be a millionare, just trying to be happy.

Im also taking some writing classes, so I can better convey my thoughts to the members of HybridZ.org :lol:

But anywho, there are plenty of cheap places to live that have good schools in the area. they might just also be Z friendly.

My sister-in-law sold her house in CA, moved to MO, and bought 7 or 8 houses for 35K - 70K each. She bought them next to a college, and rents them out. Seemed like a pretty hassle free life to me, and her husband is a contractor, so its pretty much a slam dunk.

Businesses that drop ship their products are another good option. I worked with many businesses at my last 2 jobs that sold stuff online or through catalogs or whatever, sent the order to us, then we shipped whatever it was to the customer. They were able to offer low prices because they had no overhead, and they were knowledgeable enough to offer their customers a real service in advising them what to buy and helping with customer service issues after the sale.

Jon

Guest polarity

I just wanted to jump in with the suggestion about getting into computers. If I were you I would stay away from this field. Right now I work in IT and have been fortunate enough to land a good job. For every person (in my area at least) that I know that does have a good IT job, I know 5 more that can't get a job at all, much less a good one. They are very good at what they do.

Maybe the market is better in other places, but if it's anything like it is here, don't waste your time. Just like in most types of jobs, no one wants to hire someone who doesn't already know what they are doing, and if they are going to hire straight out of school it's horrible money.

On another note, personally I hate working on computers. They are boring and after a while it's just the same thing over and over. I guess that's the way it is with any job, monotonus(sp) easy work.

Good luck with anything you decide to do, and if you do pick IT the trick is just to stick with it, learn all you can, and just as with anything else make a name for yourself and you'll do fine.

Hope it all works out

Billy Ronie

no computors for me.i have a 2 year degree in electronics,ase certified master technician,and a california smog license.the ex it manager for kb home lives across the street from me.they outsourced his job.i am probably going to buy some real estate out of cali and rent it out.i am looking for a way to spend winters in baja.will be going to flagstaff az to look at property.i am also getting info on hud and sba loans.or maybe building an rv campground in baja.

If I were going to change jobs, do a complete 180, I would have to jump both feet into the Computer IT world. Seems the business world cant get enough "Competent" computer tech's: emphasis on the word competent.

lemme tell you a little story... I am the extremely competent guy you are talking about... The tech industry is a mess, I got back from a contract in germany over a year ago to a dead job market. I have designed and deployed the largest networks in the world I have extensive network and network security experience... my last job tech job paid over 100k but now I am a roofer making almost 80k a year less than i used to... i m a master engine builder in an gas crisis world. :o

i am more qualified than 90% of the people looking for a job in my field and it means jack shit... get a MBA its the best advise i can give you. I have a dozen friend who used to clear 100k a year in the IT world who are all out fo work for upwards for 3 years at this point.

Randy, I worked for 15 years in the advertising business. Created work for so many brands that you've heard of it's sick. I got laid off in April... standard serverance for 15 f*cking years of service. Took 2 months off, would have taken more but an old partner called me and wanted to work together again. I was so disillusioned with the business that I almost said no. But of course I said yes and now we have two clients, I have three :-), but I'm much happier and have more freedom than I've ever had, and I'm earning the same cash. The cool thing is I'm responsible for making as much money as I can handle. Not some f*ck in NY. I realized that I really hated my old job...

I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe you should try going it on your own. It's ******* scary as hell but if you can take a few months to try it, it might be worth it in the long run... maybe some race buddies have some work for you??? I don't know. If you need any help with getting your name and capabilities out in front of people, let me know.

I was burnt out, but I realized I was burnt out on the system.

Good Luck.

Jon

Well that stinks guys, sorry to hear about the IT world caving in on you. I knew a lot of IT jobs are going out of country (India) ect., but I didnt know it was as bad as ya'll are proclaiming: my eyes have been opened now. :shock:

I too put more value on working for yourself as opposed to being a slave to someone else who will constantly be putting their thumb in your pie.

Anyone keep stats on which City/State is in a boom -vs- which City/States are in a bust situation?

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

I agree, I am a recent graduate with a computer science degree and I can find almost no jobs. Every IT or programming job wants 3-10 years experience, how the hell am I going to get experience if there are no entry level jobs? the IT field is terrible right now, the only job offer I got was for 28k a year, I mean common thats rediculous, I just spent 50k on educating myself, I could make more working in a call center or something.

If I could do it all over again I would have become a plumber or tradesmen of some sort. Oh well, live and learn.

Hey let's trade careers. I've been working computers for 20+ years and you know what - I HATE computers. Nawwww, now I'm too old to be crawling around under cars.

You have to have the right nature /mentality for technical support and help line questions. Nothing aggravates me more than the 65+ year-olds (yes we have them working here alongside the 20 year-olds ....fun industry) asking me to explain how to do their jobs. I went to school for 7 years, got 3 Engineering degrees, just to form a foundation of "learning how to learn". They want to download all that in 15 minutes!!. "Dr. Freud, please tell me how to be a Psychiatrist like you, I'd like to start my practice this afternoon." "Mr. Shakespeare I'm going to write a great sonnet, please tell me how to do it." Geez!

Will Farrel mode: OFF

I have almost 10 years experience in computers and cannot get an interview. I currently work for a division of a fortune 500 company (dig around here and you will find which one) that is in the process of outsourcing almost all of its IT jobs around the world. The outsourcers are hiring some of the people being layed off, but not all. I have been keeping my eyes open for jobs that I would enjoy, and the few I have been interested in wont talk to me. Most want someone with "2-3 years experience" which in the real world means "we don't want to pay much". So, to combat the situation, I have spent the last couple months getting everything lined up to start my own business. The richest people I know own a business. It takes a lot of hard work, and some sacrifices, but I believe that is the best route to find happiness. Why should I work 10-16 hour days for nothing (I am salaried) when I can work for myself and that extra time will help me.

I have a bid out for a job that I will hear back from this week. Hopefully, this will be the lanching point I am needing.