HybridZ

Wilwood Proportioning Valve - problem?

Anyone had any problems with these valves? I just cannot get sufficient rear brake, they work but not enough to provide sufficient balance for the fronts. A question, the Wilwood knob is turned clockwise to increase rear brake is'nt it? :oops: The label is missing on mine.

So, it looks like the valve will have to be bypassed using a jumper connexion, see whether the rears can be locked up then. If mine is faulty, are these valves serviceable?

On my Wilwood valve, screwing the knob clockwise increases rear brake, CCW decreases rear brake. If you can't get the balance right with the prop valve, you can use different compound pads to change the balance. If that's not an option, you will have to change caliper piston sizes. Are you using the datsun master? Have you removed or gutted the stock proportioning valve?

John

What kind of brakes do you have? Its entirely possible that they are just not really compatible. I have Toy 4x4 fronts with early 280ZX rears and I can't get the bias right. I was considering putting another prop valve on the front. I even took the one in the rear completely out and still couldn't get enough rear braking. Maybe we should both just put the prop valve in the front system and turn the fronts down in relation to the rear...

BTW--I was at a driving school and couldn't lock the rears while driving through a puddle and standing on the brakes!!! It's that bad on my car.

Jon

Clockwise increases spring pressure, which increases the cut-off pressure to the rear brakes. Did this problem exist before the install? Any history and brake equipment information might help.

So when turning the knob clockwise you should be able to feel an increase in resistance as you go? Mine is not like that, the knob spins around quite freely for quite a few turns until near the end when you can feel just a bit of resistance. It just does not feel like its doing much at all.

All the right things have been done with my setup including removal of the stock valve. The caliper effective piston area is around 2:1 front to rear which in theory as I understand it should be about right, assuming that with the sliding rear calipers you double the piston area for calculation purposes. The fronts are Nissan four spots, the rears ex (Aussie) Ford Falcon which have similar sized pistons to the Nissan's, which is why they were chosen.

Or the regulating spring inside is broken. I'd attempt to disassemble it if it's it's still not under a warranty. You should be able to feel some resistance when you turn the knob, and also feel a slight increase in that resistance as you turn in clockwise as the spring is being compressed throughout the entire range.