HybridZ

1971 Opel GT

Guest Island Son

Man, I wanted one of those *bad* when I was just a nug - especially loved the Bowie-knife handle to operate the headlights- super extra cool. Sexy lines, the interior was like a jet fighter cockpit, and they had a gorgeous red in '72 if I recall...

I'm thinking there might be three problems purchasing any Opel - parts, parts, and parts. How about you spend the afternoon calling around and looking online for, say: intake gaskets, piston rings, and, um, how about, weatherstripping. Your success or failure would affect the purchase cost. The current owner may have connections for you - if he has kept it in good shape, he must know where to find at least some stuff.

This being a hybrid-oriented site and all, I'm also thinking you could toss that anemic - which one is it, the 1.4 or the 1.6 liter? - and drop in a rotary.

Guest Island Son

It's 1.6 i think, yea my 19 year old daughter near droped when i showed her the head lights, she's like "Dad did you see that, how cool is that they just rolled over and there they are"....lol

I almost bought it right there just for that reason alone....lol

You are right tho, it's the sweetest looking car i have ever seen stock, awesome lines...

This thing is in really good shape, he's asking $6300 Can, way out of my league, but hey i can dream....... :-D

Sonny

They were cool looking, and that is probably the last one around in the world, but 6300 is only about twice, maybe 3 times what they sold for new even Can. Spend your money on another classic Z, for some reason they have never apreciated to the values that they should have. :)

There is a article on them in the August 2003 issue of GRM. There is a add at the end of the article for a co. called GT source. Phone 1-800-673-5487

it might pay to give them a call and see what they say. The one you looked at was probable a 1.9lt. looks like a lot of neat things there for sale. It looks like its the same block that lotus used to make there engines. hummm, 2.4lt four valve twim side draft run about for ones children. :D

Douglas

Guest Island Son

I see there is 3 of them on ebay, i've never seen one before let alone lay my hands on one, there are VERY nice little cars...

My plan is to pick up a Z ASAP, i have a ton of people looking for me and it just kills me seeing them for sale and selling here, and being so far away and not being able to take advantage of some of the great deals offered here on the site...

Oh well one way or the other it will happen, although all my friends think i'm nuts for even considering buying a Z, they are more into the domestic models around here, i've shown them pic's of some of the cars on this site and they still don't understand the draw these cars have on me....lol

THEY will when my lil Z smokes some of there best work....LOL

I don't think i've mentioned it as i don't post alot just read and read and read but this site is the s**t, the knowledge and helpfullness here is like nothing i've ever seen on the web before and i've been online for way to long...lol

Keep up the great work all, you have something here many others would love to have!

Sonny

Guest Island Son

I'd be a poor one to ask that, i had never heard of them before yesterday, but the bay looks really small, allthough i did a search on google and there was a dragster opel there with a sbc in it, now that would be a fun lil toy, may as well just hand over yer drivers ticket before you even start it...lol

Sweet looking things arn't they...

Sonny

They don't look to bad...I would still take my 240Z over it anyday. I saw a couple of nice looking Corvairs the other day to. One salvage yard wanted around $2000 U.S. dollars for one that was in good shape. It was beefed up a bit to. Had problems with its tranny though. I heard of people getting almost 400 HP out of the Corvair engine. Not bad!

A friend of mine has one, its a pretty nice little car, much smaller than my 240z, but I still fit (passenger seat, I havn't driven it) and I'm 6'4". It handles pretty good, but the engine is kinda anemic.

Another friend of mine is going to look at another one later this week (maybe today), if he gets it it should make for some intersting crusing: 2 opel gt's and one yellow 240zt.

I had a friend that had one when I was younger. Handling was ok, not great. The frame is asymetrical and weak. It flexed badly in corners. Engine bay is way too small for a V8 swap without serious sawzall work. There is very little room to work on the stock four banger which is the weekest part of the car. A rotory swap would be the way to go. Beef up the frame. I wouldn't go with a cage if this is a street car. It would be very tight inside.

Cool looking car inside and out. Mechanics need some help.

Guest bastaad525

Those cars are nice... look like a little Vette with some Z thrown in. That price was outrageous though. I had a guy offer me one that sat in his yard for two years, and was going to throw in a complete front half of another one (think you guys call it a front clip?) with engine and tranny... the car itself looked good, interior was fair, needed new tires, engine had some dirty oil on it... guy wanted $600 for everything. I just didn't have cash or space and plus I already had my 240 as a project car. I seem to remember doing some research on parts and finding that a lot of the high wear items actually werent' too rare... it uses a lot of common parts in common with one of the big american car companies, I THINK GM but I"m not sure about it. I was looking up stuff like clutch, alternator, starter... dunno about more internal stuff like head gaskets or any of that though. Anyways I've seen a couple for sale since then in the $1500-3000 US range, all in good shape.

yep Opel GT, sometimes called the Mini Vette, true you cant put a SBC in one, but consider this, possible a chevy 2.8 V-6 with a T-5, some head work, headers, and intake (though they are hard to find), somewhere around 200hp, in a VERY SMALL CAR, It would go!!! and really wouldnt be that hard.

Damon

Like on the early Z cars watch out for RUST!

A few years ago a co-worker of mine bought one of these "baby vettes" to fix up and jacked it up to do some under carriage work. One of the heavily rusted frame rails gave way and broke in two.

My friend carted away what was left to the scrap yard. :(