HybridZ

What is your dream suspension?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I have been thinking a lot into the suspension in my Z and I have decided that this is where I want to put the most money. My car rides pretty good now that I have found a good height for the rear coil-overs to be adjusted to, but it is still quite rigid.

I would love to make the Z ride as smooth as a much newer car, like a BMW for example. I imagine that some really high quality springs would make a difference, but probably not enough. I have considered the idea of an air-ride setup, but not sure if that would be the best way to go, for the money.

So I turn and ask, what is your dream suspension? What components would be the best to use, and how close could I get to a car that would be very competitive in the road courses as well as smooth as a luxury car over crappy roads? Would an air-ride setup likely be the best choice?

Dream Suspension- Spirit garage Coil overs.. mmmmm

You seem to have a bit of a mix up though, the more "racey" you get, the less comfortable it is. And air ride suspension would have to be fabbed up, would get expensive fast, but it would drive nice, but it wouldnt handle well. The best thing for a Z to make it ride more comfortable would be a spring with less than 275 lb rate with say Kyb struts. It would handle ok, and it would ride ok, but nothing like a bmw. to make a bmw a competitive car on a track, you do away with all that nice ride quality for a track type suspension, for example, H&R coil overs dont feel good on long ride if you like stock feeling bimmers. Personally I love a car that handles well, i like feeling bumps and the car feeling stiff, its a constant reminder of what my car is capable of.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I do realize that the more racey you go the more you sacrifice ride smoothness, but I would imagine that there are different types of adjustable suspension. (I am quite new to suspension in general)

Is there any kind of product that offers adjustable spring rate without drastically changing ride height?

Guest thinkmonkey

A reasonably tought set of springs with adjustable shocks would fit the bill pretty well. While I worked at Subaru I went to the STI ride and drive in Phoenix, and I found the STI very comfortable and responsive on the track, although it did have excessive amounts of roll and wasn't as crisp as the evo. All it needs is some remotely adjustable shocks for it to be able to hold it's own against against the Volvo S60r which has a similar system.

Interesting nugget of information, rally cars running dirt/gravel rallies run tall soft springs with super stiff shocks and are reportedly very 'comfortable.'

-David

The basic problem for us with lowered cars is that we lose a lot of suspension travel so cars like BMW have an advantage there. But the Z's basic suspension design is good which is a plus.

Other than sorting out spring and anti sway bar rates and suitable (adjustable) front/rear alignment specs, which is a challenge to say the least, a set of remote cannister fully adjustable shocks would be the key. That plus the retention of those stock suspension components or systems which contribute significantly to insulating the body from NVH and which don't significantly degrade suspension performance.

So, other than the suspension travel limitation, there is no real reason why a Z can't be setup to be reasonably comfortable and to handle better than most. It just involves a lot of attention to detail, a methodical approach and testing, lots of testing. Oh, and money.:)

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

What is the difference between the shock and the spring and a strut. I know all of these pieces are different and that they all do their part in the suspension, but what does each do? Right now I have adjustable coil-overs, so I assume that adjusts the travel of the spring, which I like, but could I also have adjustable shocks too? What does each part do? Or, should my question be worded, "where can I get a book to learn about suspension?" :wink:

Nic,

A strut is load bearing, and determines how the suspension moves through it's travel. So if you take a strut out, the suspension doesn't work. Usually, but not always, a strut has the coil over the shock. A shock absorber is not load bearing. It just dampens the spring and usually limits the travel as well. Usually, but not always, a shock does not have a coil spring over it.

That's probably not the best explaination ever, but I think you'll probably get the idea.

Tune to Win, How to Make Your Car Handle, there's a bunch of other books that will help...

Jon

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Ok, I just went to Barnes and Nobles and picked up the most awesome, most comprehensive suspension book in the world! :D I have already determined the problems with my car and I have only read the first chapter! (Of course, I will continue to read to confirm my findings.)

If anyone is interested in learning more about suspension in general I will be happy to pass on my new-found knowledge :wink:

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

The book is:

High-Performance Handling Handbook by Don Alexander (part of the Motorbooks Workshop).

This book also has a section for taking measurements to calculate mathematically what the optimal spring rates and such will be for a given vehicle. I will post that info for the Z as soon as I get the measurements.

penske triples with all custom valving, short stroke, custom rebound ...basically built for highspeed grip driving.

and then 8f /6.4r kgmm springs.

weld in rollcage

reinforced subframe

16x7 16x10 C8R