HybridZ

Anyone have pics of water inj?

ZR8ED

This is a topic that just keeps coming back around in my mind.

Does anyone have any pics of a water injection system installed in a Z? I'd like to see how they plumbed the nozzle into the manifold or i/c pipe.

I made my own water injection system for my 69 240 that I'm fixing up....uh except I'm building it to squirt washer fluid on my windsheild. :wink: Well regardless. It was very easy to find a washer pump, and get an aftermarket bottle, and wire and rig up the washer bottle and new hoses to the stock z washer nozzles. I don't think it took anymore than an hour or two to plan and execute the system (the 240 had no washer system in it at all..just the nozzles, and the switch on the column.)

Anyways. I have often thought of going this route, and I have heard of guys doing it on all kinds of different vehicles, but I have never seen one setup. I have been to some sites that sell kits, and have seen some nice diagrams to set them up, but never a completed in car system.

Anyone have some pics?

i have a system built i plan on using to spray water on my FMIC core itself.. its not on the car yet as ill do it last, but it was pretty easy.

i built one for my rally car (ford probe turbo) and it worked awesome, the core really never heat soaked and it was a stock intercooler.

i dont have a camera or i would take some pics... but i would love to see other ppls systems.

mike

but i plan on building another system.. one that i can use a small cooler... i can mount the cooler inside the cabin, use some type of pump, like a GM windsheild washer pump (there powerful!) some clear tubing... then a switch to the pump i can mount on my dash.

if i mount the cooler inside the cabin i can also put some drinks in it :) hehe

mike

If you are looking to water inject a turbo engine, you'll need a better pump than a windshield washer pump. You will have to overcome the boost pressure to inject the water. Otherwise you can inject before the turbo, but that is not recommended, as I hear it can damage the compressor (it is spinning pretty fast to be pelting it with rain).

Your absolutely right on the inadequecy of a windsheild washer pump, but to install the system, once the parts are aquired should not take longer than an afternoon.. (meaning 2 weeks in real world time hehehe) :D

I have considered this route a few times, it seems like it is a step up from a "kludge" type fix. I think the most important step is to install a low fluid level warning in the cannister so you can cut out the hyjinxs before you actually run out of water/alcohol mix.

If you use manifold pressure to pressurize the water injection system, then you could probably get away with a less expensive pump.

I happen to have lots of room in my engine bay, I could rig up something pretty nice.

I'm still just entertaining the idea.. maybe one year...

well i dont need anything more then a winsheild washer pump because all its doing is spraying cold water on the intercooler.. not on the turbo.

you should check out what the VR4 and stealth guys sell. its a propain injection system. its cheap and prob easy to make. but it provides alot of HP.

mike

Hi Scott:

I was using the Edelbrock vara-injection on a big block with too much compression. It was nothing more than an electronic controller, windshield washer bottle and a washer pump and a brass nozzle. The hole in the nozzle was much smaller than a wiper unit. It doesn’t take much water to cool the fuel charge. I had to clean it with a needle from time to time. I used a gallon of washer fluid every time I fueled the car. I also carried spare fluid as you can sure tell when you have run out.

The car is gone but I still have the manual if you're interested. The diagrams are only of down draft carbs.

Cheers…:::Glenn

If you look in my gallery I have a 1973 240z with a previously run water injection turbo setup. It is a draw through turbo setup by Turbo Tom's and is capable of 300-400 hp.

I just puchased a fully mapable aquamist water/methane system and plan to run it on my rb26dett gtr motor. This is the jam system and allows you to create custom maps, it also runs off its own ecu which incorporates a host of safety features that cut the system before it leaks into the manifold.

i plan to plum the injectors on the the underside of my intake. I plan to mount the injector upside dwn that way if it were to leak it would not leak into the manifold, also this way no one would see its in there.

I run an apexi power fc with a commander and i am hardwiring a complete laptop into the car for real time diagnostics so i am not that worried about detonation, i installed the aquamist more out of curiosity, to see how it performed, maybe gained some milage in round town driving. Also, how can a steam cleaned engine be a bad thing????

I will let y'all know how it turns out, or if anyone wants specific info they can email or pm me

whats the diff in injecting propain and N2O into an engine???? I have always wondered this but never really under stood how it works. Is it N2O or NO2????

:lol: Here's the short answer. Propane injection is for turbo diesels, N20 is for gassers.

And here's the real difference. Propane is a fuel, and since diesel engines have no problems getting air with a turbo, adding fuel will get you power. Since the diesel injection pump is a real PITA to alter, propane, being very high octane, is cheap to inject for insane power.

N2O, on the other hand, is an oxidizer with the added benefit of having nitrogen as a buffer. It will not dissociate until the fuel is ignited in the combustion chamber. So it cools the intake charge, provides a dense oxygen source, and, with added fuel, will make insane power in a gasoline engine.

propane is higher octane and you don't have as many concerns about injecting it ahead of a turbo because of impeller damage or fuel settling in that big EFI manifold etc...

Perry

• 1 month later...
whats the diff in injecting propain and N2O into an engine???? I have always wondered this but never really under stood how it works. Is it N2O or NO2????

Propane injection is for turbo diesels' date=' N20 is for gassers.

[/quote']

That isnt entirely true. The high octane of propain makes propane injection an awesome tool for turbo cars. It does not add oxygen like nitrous. But with the added resistance to detonation, you can really crank the boost. It cools the intake charge and it is also cheap, though not as cheap as water injection.