HybridZ

Need advice for huge power gains on my L-28

zxjuiced

Ok here`s what I got: 1980 280zx (coupe)engine -efi n/a Basicly stock.I think the engine is a n42 and the heads are n47.if my memory serves me right.I know this is not the engine most would build,but it`s the 1 I got. Plus this motor only has 57,000 mi. on it(original) I`ve done a few upgrades to the engine.Add a 3 into 2 header,2.5 exhaust .no converter big obx straight thru muffler. I sent the stock injecters out to RC Engineering for a total once over and added cold air induction.Thats about it for the engine. Also did some suspension upgrades, all new urethane bushing kit fr.and rear/lowering springs fr.-rear,tokico shocks and struts.and 16x71/2 all around .fr.-205/45 rear-225/45 With that said if you were me and take in to account (limited funds) what would you do for bolt on power and performance? Can`t spend much more than $2-grand, where heading to the paint booth in the next couple weeks ,that going to put a huge dent in the bank account for sure. Thanks for any input..david

ps,I was think cam/head work/bigger TB/maybe gears for the rear.

I did the same things to my 1980 280ZX before I threw in the Chevy 350 LT1. You have to realize that the L28 NA has a power limit. I think if you want to stay with the L28 then maybe you should start thinking of a turbo swap. This would be the easiest way to gain some "huge" power.

Guy

You will never get huge power out of that engine without losing the streetability, unless you go turbo. But you can make a nice street car. I just sold my "experiment in free breathing" 81 280Zx. I used a big K&N into 3" tubing before the AFM. 70mm throttle body into a heavy ported 75' intake manifold. Match ported the head to the manifold and pocket ported around the valves before a fresh valve job. Used a 6 into 3" header and ran 3" Cadalytic Converter, glass pack, and race muffler. It made a very strong street car that could dust off most other 4 and 6 cylinder cars. It came alive at 4000 rpm like a cam was in it and sounded awesome. If I did it again I would do the exhaust in 2-1/2 to get more bottom end torque and sacrifice the top end.

Yeah I cant wait to see it painted either! :D It will most likely be painted early next spring. I am doing the body work this winter.

Now about the turbo swap... most guys will tell you to just get a donor car. I agree with it 100%. Just find a 81-83 280ZXT that is rusted out. Try to find one with lower miles though so that if you dont have the money to rebuild the engine you can just swap the L28 out and then swap the L28ET in! I think it is possible to swap the intake, wiring, exhaust manifold but most guys will tell you that the turbo block is stronger, which it is.

Just start doing search on the 280ZXT turbo swap and you will find more information than you know what to do with! :D

Guy