HybridZ

being really stupid

One of my friends recently got hurt when a cheap 750lb capacity engine stand (LIKE THIS)

http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=776855&prmenbr= 6970

tipped over,I build engines on a semi- pro basis, do yourself a huge favor and buy this engine stand,(BELOW) you can,t beat a 2000lb capacity for $80 and Ive got 4 of them in the shop now, you cant stop an engine if it starts to flip when your torqueing the bolts and if you get cought between the engine and the floor the damages to your body will cost thousands and months to repair , be smart and use the CORRECT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!

http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=19976&prmenbr=69 70

or this

http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=334728&prmenbr=6970

Hey Grump, I looked at getting one of those a couple of years back. $79 is a great price compared to Summit which wants $119, but Norhtern quoted me $80 to ship the $79 stand. You may be able to do better by buying a fixed 4 leg stand locally, or the Summit stand since they have free shipping. Harbor freight has a 2000# stand for $99. I'm going to build my next stand myself and put bearings in the head to make it a breeze to rotate.

You're absolutely right Grumpy. When I did my swap I bought a heavy four leg stand instead or barrowing my friends three leg stand for free. In my estimation those three leg stands should be illegal. They are just plane dangerous for no good reason.

When I was young I tried to save money by not buying the right tools. Only to spend several times more than the price of those tools in medical bills. Never again.

Mike C

your correct about the high shipping cost but I live about 90 miles from a store so I just drove over and bought a few several times for myself and my friends, why not check if theres a store near you?

4" grade 5 will work with a few washers installed on the bolts under the bolt head but 4" or 3 1/2" long 3/8" NC grade 8 bolts are what you should use,(4" will require a few spacer washers, 3.5" can only use 1 washer and still be long enough) remember the differance in cost between grade 8 and grade 5 is less than $2 and the grade 8 is several thousand pounds of shear strength stronger, your life could depend on that $2 worth of extra strength (its your choice but my butts worth $2 extra, I think youll be inclined to spend the $2 more if you think it over) BTW a little trick is to slide a washer onto the bolt before inserting it in the mounting head and slip a 2" piece of 3/8" fuel line over the bolt from the front on each bolt in the tool head after the bolts inserted , this tends to keep them from fallin out when an engine is not installed on the stand, which is how those grade 8 bolts get lost!

Those three leggers are just plain dangerous. I banished mine to the backyard after considering what would happen if one of my kinds hung onto the header....That just did it for me. I went out and bought the four legger from Harbor Freight lat year--it works just fine and gives me some great piece of mind. It does not fold (biggest drawback), but I'll disassemble it anyway when not using it.

Glad you pointed that out Grumpy.

Davy

labrat

if your building an engine correctly youll need to flip it over dozens of times just checking clearances then dozeds of times more as its assembled, and durring all that time youll need to keep it perfectly clean. while build an enine without a engine stand is possiable its so much easyier with a good engine stand that takeing a chance on hurting yourself or getting dirt in the engine is at least to those of us that build engines on a continueous basis, somewhat foolish. If you intend on doing this as more than a one time deal , youll be way better off getting a good stand and correct tools

Guest Anonymous

Mr. Grump... You are raining on my parade. I just got one of those accident's waiting to happen at a garage sale for 15.00.Thanx for the warning, Now I am trying to figure out how to secure it to the floor when I have an engine on it. . I am not only stupid but very slow in getting out of the way. Labrat...... I am an old hand at tire acrobatics with L20 B engines but I am not up to fllipping SBC's on a tire..

Many years ago I dropped a 400 ci Pontiac motor off one of the tripod stands. I was rolling it and the front wheel hit a piece of trash causing the stand to flex and the back wheels jump off the ground. I tried to catch it and then I was very lucky to get out of its way as it crashed to the ground. Sadly enough this was a fresh motor that I was about to install in my GTO. Didn't damage the motor too badly but I can't imagine what it would of done to me. Don't take any chances with those three wheel stands, it's not worth it. bonk.gif

you could stabilize the 3 wheeled stand by welding a bar across the front to make it into a 4 wheeler. I personally have never had a problem with the 3 wheelers tipping,but I do agree that 4 wheels are much stronger/safer. I have 5, 3`s that I use primarily to store engines on to make them easier to move around.I have 1, 4 that I use for rebuilding.They are much easier to use a drain pan with, to help keep the floor clean ;)

Tomahawk Z

bolt or weld a 5 foot long 2"x 4" box steel tube to the outer center support leg so that 30 inches of the box steel brace extends perpendicular to the center brace to each side forming a (T)and install caster wheels rated at about 600lbs on each of the ends, this should cost you less than $40.00 MAX an more likely about $20.00 and will make the stand stable, most of my friends have allready done that if they had one of the 3 point engine stands, since your health could depend on that modification I would highly advise you don,t put off doing it till (someday)this will form sort of a badly written (H) shape on the base from its present (T) shape but give GREATLY ENHANCED STABILITY to the stand,

this picture will give you the idea

http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=19885&prmenbr=69 70

but the commercial version shown has WAY too short of a brace(T) added to do much good

Guest Anonymous

Thanx Mr.Grump! I have the steel to do this and will pick up some good casters at a garge sale. (I really like the swivel casters on shopping carts) It should not cost more than $5.00 for this modification. So the three legged engine stand tips over like a tricycle when a little pressure is applied to the engine.