HybridZ

What cures ZX-T turbo lag best?

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

I guess this might be an offshoot of my searcing for the best intercooler, boost controller and installer, preferably in eastern US, but I was wondering if there are any other things that can be done at the same time as the upgrades above to reduce turbo lag on the stock 280ZX Turbo.

It's ok to tell me to wait til my existing turbo blows and go with another one (bigger? lighter?). Obviously, Nissan went with twin turbo for less lag, at least my guess, but that would be a bit much for an 83Z, wouldn't it?

Thanks

John-waiting for my 83 280ZXT 2 + 2 to ship outa Pittsburg, PA to Boston!

I guess this might be an offshoot of my searcing for the best intercooler' date=' boost controller and installer, preferably in eastern US, but I was wondering if there are any other things that can be done at the same time as the upgrades above to reduce turbo lag on the stock 280ZX Turbo.

It's ok to tell me to wait til my existing turbo blows and go with another one (bigger? lighter?). Obviously, Nissan went with twin turbo for less lag, at least my guess, but that would be a bit much for an 83Z, wouldn't it?

Thanks

John-waiting for my 83 280ZXT 2 + 2 to ship outa Pittsburg, PA to Boston![/quote']

Nissan did not go with twin turbo for less lag. Twins create more lag. They went with twins for plumbing ease.

Discounting N2O as suggested above, the next best thing you can do is install a 3" mandrel-bent exhaust. The stock turbine already has next to zero lag, the 3" exhaust will induce tire spin at below 3000 rpm.

Guest bastaad525

Nissan did not go with twin turbo for less lag. Twins create more lag. They went with twins for plumbing ease.

Discounting N2O as suggested above, the next best thing you can do is install a 3" mandrel-bent exhaust. The stock turbine already has next to zero lag, the 3" exhaust will induce tire spin at below 3000 rpm.

hey... I have the stock dp and crappy 2.5" press bent exhaust and the tires still come loose when the boost comes on right before 3000 :)

johart I agree thought he more I hear about it the more I think the second best mod to do to the turbo motor, after a way to adjust boost of course, is the mandrel bent 3". As sleeper says the T3 itself is pretty lag free on it's own, well I say it has some lag, to me lag free means it could make full boost just off idle, which I dont think any turbo does (does a supercharger?) but I guess lag is more, how long it takes after you floor it when you're already at sufficient RPM (above 2500) before it comes to full boost.... all I can say is, when I first did my conversion and ran an open J-pipe with no exhaust, flooring it about 2500rpm, it hit 7psi pretty much instantly... no lag at all. After installing the crappy exhaust system (twas all I could afford at the time) there was definately some increase in the reaction time here... still not much, maybe half a second from vacuum to full boost... but it's noticeable. So go with the best exhaust system you can afford. If you want to get rid of that lag from just leaving a stop light, the amount of time it takes to get up to 2500 and hit boost, then you gotta a)learn to launch really well, B) do some of the tricks mentioned here such as more advanced timing but with a way to keep it from advancing too much under boost, or c) NOS :)

Lag is over-rated by people that don't have turbos. The stock turbo on the L28 can easily be driven fast from a stop and from a roll. If you are rolling along at 1500 rpm, and you floor it, sure, it will take a while to spool. Just learn to be in the right gear when you want to floor it. And from a stop, it is so easy to build instant boost - slip the clutch a little with the rpm at 2500-3000. No clutch? Brake boost it. You will go like a bat out of hell - just look at the 60's people are getting on street tires.

Personally I'd rather have a little bit of a challenge to driving fast than not having any boost and being slow.

Guest bastaad525

yeah it's all in the launch... rolling starts from 5mp suck though.

I was really starting to get good at doing slip clutch launches at about 2500 rpm as Sleeper says... if you can get it down, you can take off very quick and have boost very quickly. Once boost comes on this way the tires just start spinning... tons of fun. It's a whole different technique for sure.

Personally I'd rather have a little bit of a challenge to driving fast than not having any boost and being slow.

I have to qoute you on that one

I also like having the surprises when I step on them. :D I mean, it's kind of hard to hide a V8 from others. You can hide your turbo until you fly by them :twisted:

The first and standard well proven mods to do on as already mentioned are a grainger type boost controler, 3" exhaust system and in ZX's that includes the catalytic converter. Also advancing the timming does reduce the lag a little, however it sigificantly limits the amount you can turn the boost up (increases detonation). I tried different timming set up and ended back up with the stock 24 along with the boost turned up a few pounds. ALso get a nice K&N air filter.