HybridZ

Cold Air Intakes are a JOKE!!

TomoHawk

• 3 weeks later...
Guest midnitz

WHat I did was to replace the stock airbox with a 3 inch diameter stainless tube with a 90 degree elbow on it.(shaped like a J)....the elbow connects to the rubber hose on the AFM....the straight tube is about 1.5 feet in length....and the charger connects to the end of the tube.....and it is all in front of the radiator...so it is actual cold moving air. I did notice quite a difference in throttle response and mileage.

The key here is to get the air to straighten out as much as possible while building up velocity(while it is true that pipe diameter has an effect on air velocity so does the turbulence the air encounters)......the faster the air moves into the AFM and TB assemblies....the less chance it has of slowing down. The components and hoses do have an effect on incoming air velocity....because the intake runners are smaller than the intake plenum

air intake velocity is not affected as one may think.....as long as you keep the inlet pipe diameters in a progressive order of sizing you should be ok.

I would speculate that the difference between the stock airbox and my setup is at least 5 hp.

After my engine is upgraded I will provide dyno results....with stock airbox and my cold air setup.

...The key here is to get the air to straighten out as much as possible while building up velocity...

I wouldn't tell that to the "Tornado Air Management" people...

They seem to think that their swirling air philosophy is better than air that just moves in a straight line.

(let's see what that stirs up):D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jjohart

Hi. From what I recall, when I had a 3 series BMW and was contemplating going from the paper filter to either a K and N filter or an ITG foam open element (design from Turner Motorsport), there was a fairly credible test which showed that the K and N actually let more particulates than stock, not less, which could lead to engine problems down the line. While I don't have a link to the testing, the ITG foam was pretty much universally considered safer and more effective than K and N, and apparently much in use in professional racing.

The only thing left out of most discussions of open air should be called O.W.F, as in open water, which is the way most of the early Z's whose owners have equipped them with K and N cone open filter assemblies are so close to serious splashdown in rainstorms, etc, that it seems almost a badge of classic car snobbishness ("hey, my car is so well taken care of, it never gets driven in the rain"). All the power to em', if they are lucky enough to have their Z as a sunny day only vehicle!!

I'd personally like to see which one of their engines seize first in a puddle jumping slalom!

John-83 280ZXT, mods moving way beyond book value, but no rice-though I am looking at 17-18wheels/tires...don't want a kidney killer, though!!

You are not kidding. Only with my friend with his twin turbo Jim Wolfe Z didn't only get splashdown, he rolled right into standing water that was deeper than he thought and hydrolocked that thing instantly. :oops: He sold his Z at a firesale price and bought a Vette.

Too funny.....common sense tells you that theres not much COLD air under the hood.

This is where common sense lets folks down. Most engine compartments are designed to flow air through it while the vehicle is moving. Each vehicle is different but I saw some measurements of underhood air temps on a 1999 Ford Contour SVT that showed where the aftermarket cold air intake was located (behind the battery on the left side) the air temp was only 10 degrees warmer then outside the car if the car was moving over 20 mph.

YMMV...

Guest jjohart

You may be onto something (other than the fact that most Fords are style-designed to look like nuclear mushroom clouds-maybe that fallout causes a nuclear inversion, aka nuclear winter, under hood. Let's face it though, the "coolest" engine bays have to belong to existing and upcoming hybrid vehicles!!!

For the Jimmy Neutron of better C.A.I. design, let's face it boys (and women?), just wait til' the onslaught of "smart" filters takes place with hybrid vehicles...imagine the surprise at stop signs/red lights, after the hybrid electric engine turns on the cold air accumulated at various non-city cycle cruises, and feeds it through the petrol engine like a superconductive super intercooler!!?!! You might end up running on air, well before the hydrogen cars make market appearance!

Well, they do say the hybrids will be getting sportier soon..why not a smart C.A.I system that stores cool air like a fridge, then injects it like a forced inducer? You could definitely use it to store beer, A/C, etc, which will probably be needed if the greenhouse effect closes in on N.America as is expected/predicted...

Then again, I like my "eco" turbo Z..it recycles air, dosent it?

John-83 280Z, greenie,

Damn. I wrote a long, pithy response, then it got dumped. :evil:

Suffice it to say, it don't work that way. K&N's flow better because they don't filter as well. K&N admits this, and says the oil traps most of the smaller particulates, but some will get through. I have an acquaintence who tried replacing the expensive paper elements on his company's heavy equipment with reuseable filters, and subsequent oil testing proved that there was more wear due to dirty air after switching to reuseable elements.

Do they admit enough particulates to matter? If you plan on rebuilding your engine every 100k anyway, no. If you want your engine to last 250k miles (as in diesels or German cars), yes. It's a tradeoff, and only you can decide which compromise is right for you.