HybridZ

Wheel, tire, spring choices

I want to upgrade my tires/wheels to a larger size. Right now I have the dealer installed mags (14x6 with 0 offset, correct me if I am wrong)

I would like to go to 16x7 (235-50R16, 215-55R16) or 17x7 (235-45R17, 265-40R17) for correct size tire and not have problems with the speedometer (I believe original 240Z wheels were 175R14 which were 82 series, which makes the wheel diameter of 25.3 inches)

I am NOT planning to install flares, but planning to change the springs, which will lower the car by about 1 inch (most Eibach progressive, Tokico, etc.) and install the big caliper brake upgrade.

Q1: what is better for the smoothness of ride, Eibach progresive or Tokico? What are the benefits of the progresive springs (more info then the MSA explanation, personal experiece is welcome)

Q2: What tire size will cause me to rub against the wheelwell and which one will sit nicely

Q3: I have seen a lot of rims with 40+ mm offset, can those be installed and how much of spacer I am looking at, can you explain what exact method to calculate spacer size. Are there any other ways of not using spacer, any 4-114.3 rim selection suggestions, etc.

Slot mags don't have a 0 offset, I recall that my 195/60/14's rubbed on slot mags. With a 0 offset you can safely fit a 225 under a stock fender, you may have to roll the fender for clearance, but I don't think so. Lots of guys put 225's on a 7" rim, personally I wouldn't go more than 215. I would go 8" rim for a 225 or 235. Putting a 275 on a 7" rim would be ridiculous. That tire should go on a 10 or 11" rim, which would require flares and 2.5" ID coilovers.

The "benefit" of progressive springs is that you don't feel small bumps in the road, but when you push it there is a stiffer spring rate to deal with body roll, bottoming, etc. The bad part is that you always have 2" of mushy spring to get through before you get to the "real" spring rate. We just had a pretty long post about a Tokico spring set which had progressives in front and linear rate springs in back, and nobody thought that was a good setup. The general consensus was that progressives in general were a bad idea. Do a search in the suspension forum.

Modern Motorsports makes a wheel adapter that allows you to use most of the aftermarket Honda wheels available. That would probably be your best bet. Keep in mind that going to huge wheels will make your car slower due to the increased rotating mass, and having really low profile tires means that you can very easily damage them on curbs and potholes, and they won't have as much traction if straight line is your thing.

I traded a set of 15's to a friend, she gave me her 14" ZX 6 spokes. Her wheels weighed 14lbs each, mine weighed 25 or more each. First thing she says is "Now my car feels really slow. It doesn't stop good either." She likes the look though.

Jon

I guess I should go with the 16inch tires because they are not too large (and heavy like the 17inch) and should go with the 215-55R16 tires such that they would not stick out too much and be more "bullet" proof. Also coilover will be required, so I guess the cost is increasing for the brake/suspension/wheel upgrade :cry:

Hmm, :shock: I will need to get honda spacers don't I? What about the talk about problems of them braking appart at the high hp application in this forum, are there any precausions against that and how often does that happen. Are they unfounded and what is also up with them? (I am planning to have a 3.0 Turbo Storker and run plenty of boost)

I like 16 and 17 inch wheels due to wheel choice. im going to be setting my car up for drift, which mandates low profile on rears, so im going 16 front 17 rear, offset in the rear can be more positive,. but in the front ive seen a 225/50,15 fit in front of lowered 240 with no coilover, on 0 offset.

You DON'T need coilovers for 215's or 225's. You do need them for anything bigger. They are expensive, so don't bother if you don't need it.

Talk to Ross Corrigan at Modern Motorsports, he can tell you what will fit and what won't. Maybe he'll see this thread and pipe up.

Jon