HybridZ

Stub Axles same on Non Turbo versus turbo 280ZX

danc

If no one chimes in here, I'd suggest removing a a shaft, it's axle nut and companion flange and carefully count the splines. One question pops to mind though, and that is "why were the threads trashed?" This thread problem is typical with the "peened" nuts that were flattened against the axle stub "flats" to prevent the nut from backing off, but on ALL the ZX turbo cv jointed shafts I've ever seen, the nuts were changed to the more traditional locking nut that does not trash the threads when this nut is removed (perhaps an impact wrench's high speed removal of the nut caused this). There is only a 2 spline (?) difference between the 280z and the 280zx turbo splines (turbo being smaller or less count). I do not know if this difference was carried through onto the ZX line or not (turbo vs non-turbo). If your non-turbo axle nuts are peened onto the axle "flats", then I'd be inclined to believe this difference may exist.

If you need to remove a peened nut again cut the flattened part off the nut with a cutoff wheel. If you don't you end up with the buggered threads. If you cut it off nicely no thread damage is done.

The junkyard obviously just put an impact on it and hit it. The threads that were damaged were from the peened area at the end of the nut and further away from where the nut actually screws on. Sometimes you can fix with a thread file and reuse because the nut isn't actually tightening on the damaged part of the threads, but it's a big PITA, and if yours are the same spline then you'd save yourself some hassle to take the nuts off the right way and use them.

PParaska has a detail of the stub axle differences on his website:

http://home.comcast.net/~pparaska/240ZCVHalfshaftConversion.htm

and

http://

http://home.comcast.net/~pparaska/280ZCVHalfshaftConversion.htm

Jon

But this was part of my confusion. The turbo ZX axles did not have the nuts peened onto the axle. Instead they used a conventional locking nut that can be removed without damaging the threads. So why were the threads all screwed up? (wrong axles?)

Thanks guys. As always lots of useful info...

These stub axles do have the nuts with the large flange. The guy who removed them was obviously a booger with a very large hammer. They had another set of turbo stub axles and supposedly sent them late last week. I could probably save both of these in an emergency, but I paid a premium and expect them to make this right.

• 3 weeks later...

Danc

to answer your question the non-turbo and turbo stub axles are not the same. I remember didn't have any problem taking the stub axle out of a turbo car from a junk yard. The big nuts were not peened to the shafts. However the non_turbo stub axles are different, the big nuts for the non_turbo car are peened to the stub axle's shaft. Did you get the companion flanges for the stub axles ? if so the turbo flanges should be round and not square.

Vinh