HybridZ

The FBI has a new way of tracking terrorists

CruxGNZ

Homeland Security has announced they will soon be implementing new software which will record every click of your mouse. It is their belief that it will operate completely transparently and that the average user will not notice any difference in performance. Click below to observe this incredible new technology.

CLICK HERE

!M!

Very slick - hardly noticeable at all. :roll:

When it gets to the point where the government is able to peek into my computer, I'll yank the cord and disconnect from the net. It's not like I have anything illegal on my computer, it's just the principle of the thing. I'm not three years old, and I refuse to be treated like a three year old.

When it gets to the point where the government is able to peek into my computer, I'll yank the cord and disconnect from the net
Um actually they already can! If they choose to do. They have been screening over seas phone calls for years with a project called Echelon.

There's also the "Carnivore" program. It is a pattern-matching / artificial intelligence system that monitors *all* personal network traffic, looking for "suspicious activity".

"With a court order, the FBI can install the Carnivore system at the facilities of an ISP, and then use it to monitor all Internet traffic and communications moving through that ISP. The FBI has consistently claimed that the system filters data traffic and only retains packets which the court has authorized investigators to obtain. "

If you know anything about networking, you'll understand that the system has to monitor *every* byte coming in and out of the system. That means that if a suspected terrorist or crack dealer uses the same ISP as you, *your* communications are being monitored. The system is arranged in such a way that humans need to review all the output, looking for "relevant" data. Non-targeted data is then discarded - unless of course there's something of "imminent" interest. Needless to say, privacy advocacy groups are pretty berserk about this.

Do a Google search for more information.

When it gets to the point where the government is able to peek into my computer, I'll yank the cord and disconnect from the net[/quote'] Um actually they already can! If they choose to do. They have been screening over seas phone calls for years with a project called Echelon.

There used to be a list of red-flag/trigger words that clued Echelon systems when to eaves drop on a converstation...it was a little over 100 words.

I think it is humerous-if you want to trigger their systems just throw in one of those red-flag words every sentance or two. When their system is overloaded w/useless nonsence it is basically useless. Too much data is too much data.

BTW: the word "Echelon" was one of their trigger words :D I guess that makes me a terrorits for using the word Eschelon(?). Let's really trigger some data bases....Drug Dealer, Funny Money, Bomb, Smuggling, Patriot, Malitia..., hit the enter button.....Now!

Anything that goes thru a satelite/phone line is/can/will/might-be/is subject to..., being monitored.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

I think the most practical response is to have two computers - one connected to the net, and one "personal" machine. Maybe have one of those hard drive switches that physically cuts the "personal" hard drive out of the system when you're not using it.

I think the most practical response is to have two computers - one connected to the net, and one "personal" machine. Maybe have one of those hard drive switches that physically cuts the "personal" hard drive out of the system when you're not using it.

If you have kept abreast of the Homeland Security Dept's Patriot Acts then you should be aware that any attempts by you to foil their ability to monitor you qualifies as "Terrorism" and makes you an enemy of the State.

You are dang'd if you do and dang'd if you dont.

Perception is everything isnt it? They see you as energy for their machine while you just want to be left alone (true American dream): what-tdo, what-tdo?

I say its time we jumped in our Z's to flee the enemy as we ride off in the sunset-must go faster to evade the enemy...m-u-s-t g-o f-a-s-t-e-r....m---u----s----t g---o f---a---s---t---e---r..., as I look in my passenger side view mirror I notice the enemy has lost ground. About this time I notice the tiny enscription on the mirror that reads, "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear." DOH! :lol:

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest polarity

I'm pretty positive the goverment has been tracking online data for years. The new system is just a better way to do it. Any computer that is online can be gotten into. The only "secure" system is one that is standalone and it's only secure from internet/network hacks. Still open for someone to walk up to and get information from it. So I guess that means the only secure computer is a nonexistant computer.

Edit: To add in some markers for myself. Bomb, president, cocaine, gun smuggling.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

BTW, as a note on carnivore...

I used to work for Earthlink, the only ISP who doesnt have carnivore installed. (With the exception of a few ma and pop ISPs)

This quote is not completely accurate:

"With a court order, the FBI can install the Carnivore system at the facilities of an ISP, and then use it to monitor all Internet traffic and communications moving through that ISP. The FBI has consistently claimed that the system filters data traffic and only retains packets which the court has authorized investigators to obtain. "

Carnivore is not something that the FBI has the option of setting up, this is something that has already been installed and monitoring for years. This is a physical device that is connected at the ISP gateway. Carnivore does filter out a lot of the data, but the data that it does retain can be from a very broad spectrum depending on what they are looking for.

This part is very accurate:

It is a pattern-matching / artificial intelligence system that monitors *all* personal network traffic, looking for "suspicious activity"

You'd be suprised how many things you can accidentally type in even into a search engine and end up being snooped on for a day or so.

Polarity is right in that your computer is already more vulnerable than you think. (Especially if you use a windows-based PC). You'd be suprised how much someone can know about what you are doing even if you have a firewall. Reasons #2764 & #2765 that I use Linux :wink: