HybridZ

Would an LT1 be safe @ 6-8psi......

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've been into racing for a long time now, but for once in my life I need to do something.. I like being different so I was looking into the Ford 5.0, but I desided on a Chevy LT1.. My question is would the stock pistons hold 6-8psi on a turbo.. The turbo would be a basic (twin t3's) or should I just take my time and build the bottom end and add a decent size single turbo. The car would be for drag/road racing but mainly track... What would be a wise thing to do?

Thanks Kenneth K

P.s what would a stock Corvette Lt1 do in to 70's Datsun with an auto in the quarter?

A stock Corvette LT1 with the proper set up and a good driver would run in the 12 to 13 second range. In my opinion the LT1 or LS1 are now the best swap. If you stroke them or use forced induction they are even meaner. Just my opinion.

Mike

I know very little about FI but after watching a few (4) people build turbo setups on stock engines using the "I'll only run xx psi" motto I would advise against it. I can't speak from experience but it would seem boost is an addictive thing, sooner or later you will want more, its probably easier to build it right the first time....

since you are into racing the chances of you turning up the boost are pretty good!

I've always wondered how you could boost an LT1 with either turbos or a blower given it's fairly high compression ratio. Sure it has aluminum heads that are reverse cooled, but isn't the ratio close to 11:1? I guess that's why you see a lot more blown Mustangs than Chevys. For my turbo project, I'm worried that my 9.7:1 ratio is too high (I didn't plan well-I have dished pistons, but I'm using a set of heads that I had shaved for higher compression prior to my decision to try forced induction). I will definitely intercool, and probably water inject also. The problem I'm finding with intercooling is that there is not a whole lot of room for one large enough to handle the airflow that a turbo V8 can produce.

I was advised by ScottieGNZ to install forged pistons at about 8:1 or 8.5:1 compression.

If you want to turbocharge an LT1, make the GN motor your model. If you do that, you insue that the motor will be more then "it feels about right." Turbocharging a high compression motor is not advisable or really necessary.

I wish I was more technical, more definitive, and could answer the question directly, but I can't right now. How much horsepower are you going for? Use of the car? What do you want it to do?

The turbo LT1 is my next swap, and I'll get to that after I finish my present one. The best EFI motor that has ease of modification, bang for the buck, and a good history is the LT1. It will rock :D

Davy